I Fixed It Myself!

SW03ES

Hey everyone, just wanted to post and say that I fixed by bumper damage from where that guy backed into me myself! I washed it today, looked at the damage and decided that I'd hit it with my buffer, a yellow cutting pad and some Dual Action Cleaner Polish (DACP) which is a good bit more abrasive than a swirl remover. The product is a diminishing abrasive, so as you work it in at high speed it breaks down and becomes a powder, then you just wipe it off. The car was still somewhat wet in the cracks and the buzzing of the buffer made it drip, keeping the product wet and not allowing it to fully break down, so if I hit it again after its fully dry it should do an even better job. Result, two small (one 1/4 inch and one 1 inch) spots where it needs paint, but all other damage such as buffing or such was gone. I filled in the spots with my touchup pen, then let it dry and hit the area again with the dacp, it looks almost perfect. I ordered a clearcoat pen from Audiovisuals for the final touches.

I dont think I'll even need the body shop now. I moved the appointment to next Monday because of the Hurricane anyway, I'll work on it more and see!

that's AWESOME how it worked out for ya SW03ES. what made you decide to do it yourself?i mean, more along the lines of how'd you come to the conclusion that you'd do it on your own rather than the shop? minus the whole money saving thing :P so that guy didn't do too much paint damage????like, seriously ripping off chunks of it? i visualized this huge section missing on your car ;)

what got rid of his paint on it???(i thought it had paint from him)...

is that what the DACP got rid of?

and how does this pen work? i bought primer and the paint and the clear coat....general waiting time?

and what is this here "yellow cutting pad" for?

as for the hurricane, let's hope it doesn't hurt the car now that it's fixed.....