Tires, Yet Again

Ridgerez

I previously had a set of Michelin Pilot 225/60-16's on my 98 LS400 and they drove and handled beautifully. I wanted to upsize the wheels so I put new 18" wheels and a set of Pirelli 245/45-18's on it. Big mistake. I took them because Discount had just had a floor show and the Pirelli folks let them have the set (and subsequently me) for a really good price, but they were too wide, too harsh, too soft compound to be even worth the deal. They constantly rubbed and even after 4 rebalances and several alignments, they handled horribly and wobbled like crazy at speeds over 60. (Yes, even the Lexus dealer balanced and aligned and for 3 times the cost did no better). After 8,000 miles they were bald...

I just recently put on a set of Tien Coilovers and ordered a new set of BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS (now discontinued but still available) 235/50ZR18's from the Tire Rack. The Tire Rack called to ask me if I knew what I was doing and I convinced them that I did even though I really wasn't absolutely certain I was making the right decision! :)

Excellent choice though... the local shop lowered the car with the old tires leaving about a 1 inch gap but when the new tires were mounted the wheel wells were level with the tires... too low... but it handled beautiful again. Smooth quiet ride, nice and tight in the turns, but was getting a bit of rubbing (only in the front) over dips and bumps. I'm raising it up another inch and I expect that will resolve the rubbing issue (it's only touching the very top inside edge of the front fender well trim.) Certainly the coilovers are a major contributor to the improved ride but I'm really pleased with the tires themselves.

For $79 a tire, (plus another $30 I believe for mounting/balancing) I would highly recommend the g-Force T/A KDWS while they are still around. They've been replaced with a newer KDW series that has a really killer tread design and when these old ones wear out, I will probably go that route depending on the life I get with these. I'm even considering ordering another set of the KDWS and stashing them for the next tire change. :)

Hi fellows:

Got the new tires on yesterday morning. "H" rated Exaltos and they ride very well so far. Had to settle for 205s because there were no 215s. They offered MXM4s in 215s, v rated, for a lot more (~$145 each) but I declined since I wanted exaltos. They couldn't do the alignment because they said my upper arm "something" was bad and had to be fixed first. I think they said "ball" too. I've known something was bad in the front and/or rear suspension for a few months since I'd hear these occasional clunks when pulling over the curb as I get into my driveway.

What they said about needing alignment with these tires was hogwash at best since they sold me the tires anyway. It all came to $530 and included balancing and road hazard insurance. For going before 10AM on black Friday, I also received a $60 Sears gift card. Net cost $470...not bad.

I'm feeling better now cos I have a few business trips coming up in the next several weeks. Gotta do approx 200 mile round trip, twice a week for a few months. Also have to go visit my son in Blacksburg, Va next month. Thats a 1,000 mile round tripper. I'm a Hokie dad and UVA is toast today...ESPN2 at noon Eastern.

The lower ball joints and tie rod ends are the parts that may be clunking on the bottom of your front suspension. Pretty cheap to fix, especially if you know a buddy with a home garage and an impact wrench.

Hi fellows:

Got the new tires on yesterday morning. "H" rated Exaltos and they ride very well so far. Had to settle for 205s because there were no 215s. They offered MXM4s in 215s, v rated, for a lot more (~$145 each) but I declined since I wanted exaltos. They couldn't do the alignment because they said my upper arm "something" was bad and had to be fixed first. I think they said "ball" too. I've known something was bad in the front and/or rear suspension for a few months since I'd hear these occasional clunks when pulling over the curb as I get into my driveway.

What they said about needing alignment with these tires was hogwash at best since they sold me the tires anyway. It all came to $530 and included balancing and road hazard insurance. For going before 10AM on black Friday, I also received a $60 Sears gift card. Net cost $470...not bad.

I'm feeling better now cos I have a few business trips coming up in the next several weeks. Gotta do approx 200 mile round trip, twice a week for a few months. Also have to go visit my son in Blacksburg, Va next month. Thats a 1,000 mile round tripper. I'm a Hokie dad and UVA is toast today...ESPN2 at noon Eastern.

Does anyone know what kind of trade off I will experience for the lower price? Should I have paid the extra money for the Michellins?
You made the right choice. I made the move from Michelins to BFG Traction TAs, and I couldn't be happier with their performance. They are everything the Michelins were (quiet and smooth) except they have excellent wet traction (which I felt the MXV4 always lacked in). My TAs have 32k miles on them and still have 8/32s; I'm glad I like them because they are going to be around for quite a while!!!

Straight from the Discount tire website:

A tire receives its speed rating by the U.S. Government through meeting minimum standards for reaching and sustaining a specified speed. What does that mean to you? Well, in general, a higher speed rating will result in better car handling.

Two Important Notes When Considering Speed Rating:

• We do not recommend downgrading the speed rating of your tires. This may result in poor handling and unpredictable steering. However, if you want better cornering response, there is no problem installing a higher speed rated tire on your vehicle.

• Tire manufacturers recommend not mixing and matching tires with different speed ratings on your vehicle. It is recommended that speed-rated tires be replaced in sets of 4. If replaced in pairs, the new tires should be of the same or higher speed rating. If tires with different speed ratings are installed on a vehicle, it is recommended that they be installed with like pairs on the same axle. It is highly recommended the lower speed-rated tires be place on the front axle, regardless of which axle is the drive axle, to help prevent oversteer. (Oversteer occurs when the vehicle loses traction at the rear tires first, causing the vehicle to spin and the driver to lose control.) The speed rating for all tires will become that of the lowest speed-rated tire on the vehicle.

Below is a list of speed ratings along with the corresponding speeds they represent. Remember, the speeds are test speeds, not recommended speeds.

Q- Up to 100mph

R- Up to 106mph

S- Up to 112mph

T- Up to 118mph

U- Up to 124mph

H- Up to 130mph

V- Up to 149mph

W- Up to 168mph

Y- Up to 186mph

Z- 149mph and over

Being Canadian, I KNOW the whole country is being ripped off because I would be jumping for joy to find some comforttreads, pilots, or turanza serenity's up here for even under $160....

It also looked as if they saved all of the "X-rated" rubber for the condom industry.....

Any canadians here know the duty laws for getting tired in the states???