Dealer Installed Xm Radio On 08 Es 350 ?

8888LexusES

Hi all....first post here, I will be picking up my 2008 ES 350 today (black Sapphire Pearl/ Cashmere)and i just called my dealer to cancel my xm install because they were unable to show me one that has been done already, so I am looking to you guys....if anyone has a pic i would appreciate seeing it...they tell me it HAS to be installed on the trunk deck, so i passed....i think i have read every post on your forum and found you all to be quite helpful in making my decision to trade in my 04 Acura TL easier....thanks

Yes the XM tuner is installed in the trunk, technically the right quarter panel next to the radio amplifier. You won't see it. Whats the concern?

hi thanks for the reply...my concern is the antenna portion they say MUST go on the trunk lid and if it looks like crap i dont want it...thanks again

They do recommend putting it on the trunk for best reception. The antenna is actually quite small now, not like the previous version which was rather large and ugly. Why don't you ask them to show you what the antenna looks like. Another possibility would be to ask them if they could install the antenna in the back shelf. Some people have done that without reception issue. Personally I prefer outside. FYI, the antenna is taped down, not magnetic which I'm not too crazy about.

They do recommend putting it on the trunk for best reception. The antenna is actually quite small now, not like the previous version which was rather large and ugly. Why don't you ask them to show you what the antenna looks like. Another possibility would be to ask them if they could install the antenna in the back shelf. Some people have done that without reception issue. Personally I prefer outside. FYI, the antenna is taped down, not magnetic which I'm not too crazy about.

Thanks very much...i feel better about it now...of course they did not have one to show me which is why i said forget it...thanks again...happy lexussing....

I am on your side 100%, 8888. I passed on the XM dealer install for exactly the same reason. Even though the antenna is about the size of a quarter and less than 1/2" tall, I didn't like the way it looked at all. For me, it really detracted from the looks of the car. It reminded of the old CB days. If my dealer had offered to locate it on the rear shelf, I would have probably gone for it....BUT, he didn't.

It is funny how some things effect us, but I couldn't take that.

Rick

Thanks very much...i feel better about it now...of course they did not have one to show me which is why i said forget it...thanks again...happy lexussing....

i'm with you rick....thanks rudy

I had Xm installed on my 08 ES350, they installed it on the rear shelf next to the rear tail light, you can hrdly notice it. As far as reception, its outstanding. Good luck

when you say "on the rear shelf" do you mean on the shelf inside of the car behind the back seat? Could you post a pic of it? Mine is installed on the outside on the trunk and I really hate it there. I want to ask the dealer to move it somewhere else, so a pic would be most helpful.

Had XM installed on 08 ES 350 with antenna on back shelf next to stop light last week- no problem with reception- looks fine. Went to Chicago from MI and it worked like a charm-dealer had mentioned it may not work as well there versus on the trunk- and offered to move to trunk at no charge if it did not perform as expected. It does, so after 4 years having XM- in a couple different cars- still able to enjoy XM and the ES 350 (now with 1000 miles on it.)

Had XM installed on 08 ES 350 with antenna on back shelf next to stop light last week- no problem with reception- looks fine. Went to Chicago from MI and it worked like a charm-dealer had mentioned it may not work as well there versus on the trunk- and offered to move to trunk at no charge if it did not perform as expected. It does, so after 4 years having XM- in a couple different cars- still able to enjoy XM and the ES 350 (now with 1000 miles on it.)

My dealer is relocating my XM antenna tomorrow from the right side of the trunk to the inside shelf and they are doing it for free.

My dealer is relocating my XM antenna tomorrow from the right side of the trunk to the inside shelf and they are doing it for free.

I Was just on XMwebsite and they show a unit for exsisting call XM sat ready for like $100 or less Canadian. They are trying to charge me $650 cnd to get one installed..Anyone had this done by someone like BestBuy?

The dealer relocated the xm antenna today to the rear shelf. I am a lot happier now without that ugly thing on the trunk. No problems at all with the signal.

The dealer relocated the xm antenna today to the rear shelf. I am a lot happier now without that ugly thing on the trunk. No problems at all with the signal.

Why can't Lexus be like most other manufacturers who have XM and Sirus ready radios have the shark fin or some other system other than a dealer installed antenna. This is ridiculous!!! I enjoy my XM on my 05 ES330 but still hate the ugly toothbox size antenna the dealer installed on the truck. I will probably buy and 08 this month and ask to have the antenna installed on the rear deck but Lexus needs to resolve this as it detracts from the appearance of the car! Doesn't Lexus have the shark fin antenna on other models?

Why can't Lexus be like most other manufacturers who have XM and Sirus ready radios have the shark fin or some other system other than a dealer installed antenna. This is ridiculous!!! I enjoy my XM on my 05 ES330 but still hate the ugly toothbox size antenna the dealer installed on the truck. I will probably buy and 08 this month and ask to have the antenna installed on the rear deck but Lexus needs to resolve this as it detracts from the appearance of the car! Doesn't Lexus have the shark fin antenna on other models?

The IS and the LS both have the shark fin, so I don't understand why Lexus decided not to put it on the ES.

• 2 weeks later...

You can mount the XM antenna on the rear package shelf but under the "material". Its transparent to the antenna. That way you dont see it at all.

It takes a little longer to install because you need to remove the third brake lamp, or the back seat, depending on the car.

• 3 weeks later...

We passed on the XM install due to the price. $ 650 is highway robbery for an XM receiver, or any in-car receiver. If you want XM or Sirius in your Lexus that will operate just like the dealer-installed unit, check out Ebay. $ 279 for the unit and you can take it to almost any aftermarket installer.

• 3 weeks later...

How much did it cost you? I was quoted $800 which sounds a little too high. I am expecting my 08 es350 on the 25th of this month so I may have some time to have them install it. Thanks for your help

We passed on the XM install due to the price. $ 650 is highway robbery for an XM receiver, or any in-car receiver. If you want XM or Sirius in your Lexus that will operate just like the dealer-installed unit, check out Ebay. $ 279 for the unit and you can take it to almost any aftermarket installer.

I actually contacted the dealer about that e-bay ad and he gave me the reply that it is do-it yourself type that is not like the original, not digital...etc I personally think there is no way it is not digital. how can you capture digital radio with analog receiver? Did you actually install that in your ES? Does it interface with the touch screen function as the OEM one?

Thanks

I personally think there is no way it is not digital. how can you capture digital radio with analog receiver?

Thanks

That can be done by using a digital-to-analog converter (DAC or D-to-A).

• 2 weeks later...

I had a XM receiver installed in my 07 LS460. The dealer installed the antenna on the rear package shelf. It seemed to work fine when close to the City but when I go out to the cottage the signal cuts out but only when I am going north. XM will tell you that this will happen. In the city the XM signal is repeatered from cell towers so you have a signal coming at you from all directions therefore you have a good uninterrupted signal. Lexus Canada really dropped the ball on this one. All the cars should be factory equipped with a shark fin antenna. I want to install XM in my wifes 07 ES350 and am thinking of buying the receiver from XM. They sell the kit for $79. Shure beats the $900 I paid the dealer to install one in my LS460 WHICH CUTS OUT WHEN DRIVING NORTH.

All, I had XM installed and they put it on the right side of the trunk. Not sure if I am too concerned about the look since it is so small. Where did they put it where it can't be seen and still get the signal? The rear shelf is where? I may have them do this at my 1000 mile check.

I just had XM installed and had the antenna mounted right beside the back center brake light inside the car. Reception is great and my dealership is going to recommend it to anyone having one installed. Its protected from vandalish as well as snow and ice sliding down from the top of the car and ripping it off. Unless you are looking for it, Its not noticable at all. also I have a friend with a XM unit he bought from Best Buy and reception on the Lexus system is way better. We were both parked just inside my garage and i had full reception. He has his antenna mounted outside this car and could not get reception. He wasn't convinced so we switched car bays with the same result. Guess maybe that why Lexus hits us up for 3 times the money then an after market unit.

• 2 weeks later...

I also hated the outside antena and was not very happy with the idea of moving it to the inside of the rear glass so I tried something else. Take it out from the top of the trunk and reverse it to the inside of the trunk. Be sure that you move it to the metal and not to the insulation.

My reception is the same that I had before the move, it looks that the trunk metal acts like a dish. I did it over a week ago and I get good reception everywhere that I go.

Macho

Rather than dealer installed, I installed a Vaistech XM interface with the new XM mini tuner. Unit maintains all the steering wheel controls and shows the XM text on the radio LCD or Nav screen. Price with the mini tuner was less than half what the dealer wanted for an install. Took 1.5 hrs to complete. Basically plug and play once access to the rear of the radio is gained. Ran the antenna to the rear shelf next to the light. Haven't had any reception problems so far, of course I live out in the midlands without many obstructions.