Climate Control Display

Nuts

I have a question I need to ask a someone. I bought this SUV for my daughter, it was wrecked and I have had everything fixed on it at a body shop. The only thing left to fix on it was the Climated Control module and door locks. The monitor screen is blank. I don't know if it was due to the airbags being deployed it the front that may have caused this or what? I went on line and bought a used Climated control module but when I hooked it all up it did the same thing. The screen comes on but you can't see any of the characters on the screen. The radio and CD player plays but nothing in the display, I know that the upper portion is for trip display and the middle is for Climate, and the bottom of the display is for the radio /Cd player but I can't see noting on the screen, it 's lite up but nothing displays on it. Is this an issue with the unit itself or do I have to take it to a dealer and have them put it on a computer and have it reprogrammed. Also the power locks don't work with when I press the lock button on the keyless entry. I can hear the rear door lock but that is it, so I know the keyless entry does work. need some help with these issues. Also when you open the door the inside light doesn't come on. The damage in the wreck was to passenger side only, and it was a mild fender bender.

Might just be a plug that came undone during the colision,The display lights up which means at least it has power, but maybe there is an data line unplugged. I dont have any schematics for the unit but maybe somebody will input. If not post on Club Lexus site also, there are a couple of individuals there that know a lot about the head unit.

Might just be a plug that came undone during the colision,The display lights up which means at least it has power, but maybe there is an data line unplugged. I dont have any schematics for the unit but maybe somebody will input. If not post on Club Lexus site also, there are a couple of individuals there that know a lot about the head unit.

I have checked the plug-ins on the back of the Unit, all are plugged in. The Radio,and CD player works, the temperature control, fan, and etc... won't come on. The display comes on however there is no writing on it. I don't know what else to check or how too. I appreciate your input in this matter its Pro such as yourself that makes these forums what they are. I'll post this on the page you mention and see if there is anyone who may may have the answer.

I have checked the plug-ins on the back of the Unit, all are plugged in. The Radio,and CD player works, the temperature control, fan, and etc... won't come on. The display comes on however there is no writing on it. I don't know what else to check or how too. I appreciate your input in this matter its Pro such as yourself that makes these forums what they are. I'll post this on the page you mention and see if there is anyone who may may have the answer.

Sorry to hear about your problem. You may have a faulty monitor or the computer system may need reseting if it was involved in a wreck. I would search the forum for monitor / display problems first and go from there. Hope you find the solution.

Lenore and TJMC11, I really appreciate your input here, it is Professional's such as yourselves that make all this forum really worth while. I had a really crazy thing happen today. I got in my Lexus to drive it and my display had all the writing in it. Last week I put a new battery on it because the old one was dead. Everything in the Dispaly show up now Radio controls , Clock, Milage except for the climate display. its still blank and the controls don't light up. I bet theis is like yall said a computer reset will probably take care of it all. It makes more sense now. Probably lost it programming due to dead battery and it setting up a while. Don't want to count my chickens before they hatch but I think we are on the right track and I just wante to fill yall in and thank you for your help.

Nuts,

Keep me informed when you finally come to a solution. My educated yet primitive guess is that you have a cpu problem with the system in the vehicle. I could be wrong, but I would guess that your monitor is having trouble communicating with the cpu of the vehicle. You may even try searching other vehicle forums on this site....I know the GS, and LS and other vehicles have similiar monitors. I am curious to know the problem though.......knowledge can be a great prevention tool.......good luck my friend.

TJMC11,

when I first bought this vehicle I knew there were things I had to replace on it, and have fixed. I bought a used Climate control unit from a salvage yard it was a certified part. Since the Computer display didn't work I assumed it was bad, so I found one on the internet and bought. When I installed it and it didn't fix the problem I knew it wasn't the unit itself. The chances of both units being bad are slim to none. Last week I put a new Battery on my vehicle because it was dead, 2 or 3 days after that when I got in it to drive, out of the blue the dispay started working. Not fully just partially. The Radio , CD Player, Clock and Milage stuff showed up in the display, the controls for the temperature never came on. I put the vehicle in the Garage Last Monday morning and when I got in it today to drive to work the new Battery was dead, I had to jump start it and let it run a while to charge up. Once it was running I pulled the cables off the battery and it stayed running so that ruled out a bad altenator. I know you said it might be the CPU needs to be rest, but with the information I just gave you with a new battery just being drained, do you think I may have a short or possibly a grounding issue? If so where do I trouble shoot from on this. It was wrecked on the passenger side of the vehicle. Should I look at all the electrical on that one side. Lights etc... on the electrical. I have noticed the one light on the passengers side, the very outer bulb burns really dimm, maybe thats my starting point. I'll look at that today.I will be glad when I get it all fixed, because my 17 year old daughter is wearing me out to get her vehicle fixed. I won't let her drive it until its completely done and safe. I really appreciate yalls professional opinion on these matters. I realize it is hard to pin point problems such as these over the internet, I may leave out something that a mechanic needs to know, thanks for being patient with me on this. I hope I can get this fixed, so I don't have to take it to a dealership and spend $$$$. All input here is greatly appreciated.

My temperature gauge is not working, I don't know if that has anything to do with the display and why the area on the monitor for the temperature control is not working. What do you think?

This morning when I start the vehicle up , Iam assumming the battery charged up, the display came back on like before. I am beginning to wonder if there is a short or ground some where, most likely on the front side were the wreck was. What do you think? Also my temperature gauge for the engine temperature is out, would this effect the temperature controls on the display (monitor)? Just curious. When I replace the engine temperature sensor, on the new sensor do I need to put teflon tape around it when I put the new on back in or does it have it's own o-ring on it?

Nuts,

Hey there my friend. I have got to confess to you that I am not a professional, but I did stay at a Holiday inn express last night.....I digress.....I do have about 15 years of shade tree and mentorship experience so to speak. My father was a Nascar mechanic so I do have some knowledge that may be helpful, but don't hold me to it completely.

In response to your questions, it does sound like you have a short to ground somewhere. What is difficult is that those problem are VERY difficult to find the source, but usually very easy to fix. I just returned from India on a mission trip in which I spent 1 full week diagnosing eletrical problems on a ancient truck....shorts, bad wiring etc. It is just not a fun job. I would start by checking the basics....ground from battery terminal, terminal conditions etc. I would then look to your connections from the dash instruments (ie: a/c, radio, etc.) to the display and on board computer. If you see any funny wiring that does not look stock, take a close look at those wires. I would also look at all electrical connections on the side of the car that was hit. Look at all electrical components along the side of the car that was hit. When body men replace things, they usually do it the easiest way possible...why.....they are body men not mechanics usually...no offense to them, but they only re-assemble parts which is usually the extent of there expertise. So double check everything along that side just to be safe. It could be as small as a tiny opening in one of your wires shorting out against the body???? It is never fun to trouble shoot a short, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I would research your issue a bit more before you start tearing everything apart, but it does sound somewhat like a short to ground form a constant powered wire.......somewhere on this forum you can get a wiring diagram. Good Luck.

In respect to the temp sensor, if it comes with an o ring, place it back in with one, but I do not think it has one....I do not know for sure since I have not had to replace mine as of yet. Take a good look at the stock one and do your best to replicate the original in the replacement. The monitor temp uses a separate sensor...one in the front bumper (for outside temp) and a few in the cabin for inside temp (I think). I do not think the engine temp sensor effects the monitor, but I have been wrong in the past. Who knows, it could solve all you problems when you replace the engine temp sensor.

I hope this helps a small bit. Keep me posted so i can figure out the issue if it ever comes my way.....

Adding to this, look down on the CD player, It also has direct lines to the Display. Speaking of which the area under the Glove box area and the right passenger area there is a ECU with plugs and lots of wiring. Look there and see if anything looks unplugged. Removing the glove box makes is real easy for access.

lenore and Tmj11,

I want to say thanks for your help and being patient with me on asking these questions. The problem is fixed. I just by chance found out what it was. I had a few different problems happening, Display Monitor, Power locks, lights, drained battery, etc... When I just started with one thing first. I tried all the windows because when I hit thhe all button to let down all the windows, it would work. All windows would go up and down except for the Passenger side in the back. The motor would work but the window wouldn't go up and down. Well just by chance I started trying to address the issues one at a time with the battery issue I thought it might be a short. Well when I took the Pass. side door Panel off the wiring harness in the door was tangled up and the nuts were off what holds up the window, one of the wire was broke into. I spliced it back and everything on te vehicle started working. Monitor , temperature Gauge, Power locks, light , the whole nine yards. I really got lucky on this. Thank the both of you for all your help. I really appreciate everything.

NUTS!

Hey man! I'm glad to here that you found the source that was causing the problems. Just FYI...Lenore is a great reference....you can access him through the forums if you need to....he is VERY experienced and usually has the good answers. I know your Daughter will be VERY pleased to get her awesome ride running and what not......I'm glad to have lent a hand. Come back and ask more questions as needed. This really is a good source knowledge here. Hope your RX runs for a long time......

• 3 weeks later...
Adding to this, look down on the CD player, It also has direct lines to the Display. Speaking of which the area under the Glove box area and the right passenger area there is a ECU with plugs and lots of wiring. Look there and see if anything looks unplugged. Removing the glove box makes is real easy for access.

Lonore,

I hear your good at this. I would apreciate your opinion.

My wife has a 1999 Rx300. The LCD display started blinking out, but she said a good smack on the dash would bring it back. By the time I got to look at it, it was very intermittent. It took the radio with it(and the power antenna), but the hvac stayed on and controllable, but no display. The back lights for all the controls under the LCD also stay on.

It is now "off" permantly.

I have the console dismantled and have checked the connections. They look good. I suspect the most likely culprit is the ribbon cable and/or the pc board control infront of the radio.

What ever powers the LCD also powers the radio. The cd player will power up but won't play because the radio isn't powered. I found one pin on the back of the radio connector that has 12 volts. I've found two pins on the connector going to the LCD/"radio station" button with 12 volts.

I haven't found where radioand LCD get their common power from.

Any help, Please!

Marc :wacko:

There are two fuses, Radio number 2 fuse (7.5 amp) which is hot all of the time gray/red wire, and Fuse number 1 (25 amp) blue/yellow wire which in turned on by the ACC or run switch. both located in engine junction box. Also the Dome fuse provides power (10amp)red/white wire which is also hot all of the time. this is from a Haynes manual.

There are two fuses, Radio number 2 fuse (7.5 amp) which is hot all of the time gray/red wire, and Fuse number 1 (25 amp) blue/yellow wire which in turned on by the ACC or run switch. both located in engine junction box. Also the Dome fuse provides power (10amp)red/white wire which is also hot all of the time. this is from a Haynes manual.

Mucho Gracias..I checked all the fuses...they were all good. At the connectors I did find a gray/red that went to both units, but no blue/yellow or red/white.

Do you happen to know what pins are supposed to be hot at any of the three connectors at the radio or the one going to the LCD and one at the panel?

One last crazy point....my wife is on a trip in Oregon and when she called she added that when the once in a million times that the radio and LCD come up (they both trigger at the very same time), they will ALWAYS shut off for good again if she hits the door lock button!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

The schematic ihave doesnt give pin numbers. The 7.5 amp fuse goes to a Junction Block Number 3 and splits to a gray wire to the radioplayer and the cd changer. the 10amp dome fuse goes to a red wire to junction block number 3 then splits to a white/blue and a red/white wire . Maybe a door lock wire is shorting to a speaker wire in the door, causing the amp to shut down. Sorry the schematics are just plain poor...

The schematic ihave doesnt give pin numbers. The 7.5 amp fuse goes to a Junction Block Number 3 and splits to a gray wire to the radioplayer and the cd changer. the 10amp dome fuse goes to a red wire to junction block number 3 then splits to a white/blue and a red/white wire . Maybe a door lock wire is shorting to a speaker wire in the door, causing the amp to shut down. Sorry the schematics are just plain poor...

Hey, no apology necessary. I just appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Marc

I just re read the post of what your wife said, sounds like a low voltage to the radio. When you click the door locks maybe the voltage is taking a dip. Check the voltage again at the radio. and then start checking grounds or bad connections at the fuses./

I just re read the post of what your wife said, sounds like a low voltage to the radio. When you click the door locks maybe the voltage is taking a dip. Check the voltage again at the radio. and then start checking grounds or bad connections at the fuses./

Do you think that would keep it from coming up at all though. Most of the time it's out completely.

Yhanks,

Marc

I would be tempted to have the dash apart and wiggle wires to see if it would come on. Also maybe the wires going over to the right side toward the cd changer. Something has to be loose.....

I would be tempted to have the dash apart and wiggle wires to see if it would come on. Also maybe the wires going over to the right side toward the cd changer. Something has to be loose.....

My thoughts exactly, but...no joy!

I've personally been driving all week in my wife's car (she's out in the NW right now) with the dash completely open and glove box removed with me giggling wires, slamming doors and generally making an a@s of myself while on the road.

I had hoped to have it fixed for her return...not so much, I'm afraid!

If you think of anything..and I do mean anything, just drop me a line.

Thanks,

Marc :cries:

I noticed that when I was adding an mp3 jack to my harness that the wires goe over to the panel on the right Passenger side under the glove box. There is a lot of plugs there. The other thought is monitor the 12v at the three different inputs and see if it is there when the ACCessory position is on and wiggle those wires. maybe a pin has backed out just enough. I hated intermittants. I used to trouble shoot those on equipment for 38years, and they are the worst. But no display, it has to be a power loss or a bad display . by the way ground is a brn (brown) wire in the cd auto changer and the radio and player.There is a guy on Club Lexus that is quite knowlegable about our units. Post the problem there and see if he responds. he is called lexusaudio. Here are some of his post....

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...7270&page=5

I have a copy of page 1366 of the RX300 repair manual which shows a schematic of the control panel with pin numbers. E I emailed you the entire manual, 34 megs of the pdf....

I have a copy of page 1366 of the RX300 repair manual which shows a schematic of the control panel with pin numbers. E I emailed you the entire manual, 34 megs of the pdf....

Sorry I didn't get back you sooner...was away. I'd love to get a peek at the schematic!

mblam7@yahoo.com