Shark Fin Antenna?

ROBERT THOMASON

What do you guys think of the shark fin antennas on a Lexus? Do you think they would look good? Anyone have one on their car?

Personally, I think of the young lady so beautiful and charming and blessed with a such a sense of style that she can make even a potato sack look like a prom dress, and that is my first thought about doing anything to an LS. If it was me, though, I would think about the functionality, which if it was overwhelming to me, then I would do it-otherwise, it would be a pass on the shark fin.

One of the nice features of the 98-00 LS400 is that none of the antennas are external. No worry about vandalizm and car washes. The phone and radio antennas are imprinted on the rear window and the OEM GPS is just under the surface of the dash board.

What exactly would a "Shark Fin" antenna accomplish? Surely you are not talking about a non-functional "dummy" one!

Anyone for curb feelers? <_<

One of the nice features of the 98-00 LS400 is that none of the antennas are external. No worry about vandalizm and car washes. The phone and radio antennas are imprinted on the rear window and the OEM GPS is just under the surface of the dash board.

What exactly would a "Shark Fin" antenna accomplish? Surely you are not talking about a non-functional "dummy" one!

Personally, I think the "sharkfin" Looks tacky. I like the look of a nice clean, Streamlined Lexus, Clean, ;) Being the key word.

• 2 weeks later...

No curb feelers please, No fuzzy dice either. LOL :chairshot: I have Nav and it does not work that great. Was looking at options to maybe help the reception of the stock one or an external antenna for another Nav unit.

No curb feelers please, No fuzzy dice either. LOL :chairshot: I have Nav and it does not work that great. Was looking at options to maybe help the reception of the stock one or an external antenna for another Nav unit.

I'm just kidding you! Seriously, modern nav units almost never need external antennas anymore. The cheap Magellan nav you can see in my avitar mounted above my phone console has the SirfstarIII chipset and almost always shows that it is receiving maximum signal strength from 11 or more satelites and operating in WAS mode -- without an external antenna.

The nav in the 98-00 is light years behind even the most inexpensive aftermarket navs available today.

I thought about adding a Shark fin antenna (it's for XM Radio) from another Lexus model to my 2006 LS 430, using the same hole and antenna lead routing as the worthless Lexus Link antenna. I put in the factory XM receiver for the LS 430 and unfortunately (maybe) it is an early design that needs a two lead antenna, so the various Shark fin Lexus antennas will not work for me as they are single lead. I used "maybe" above because the new XM Radio recievers that use the single lead antennas have a reduced gain for the ground repeaters and my two lead antenna system works really well. Having said all that, I've simply removed the little antenna mast (they sell for about $90, so someone must be stealing them) and put in a stainless steel screw. Agreeing with some of the thoughts above, I'd prefer to simply remove the antenna Lexus Link antenna completely but the pain of getting everything out, fixing the hole in the roof, etc. just isn't worth it.