Timing Belt

lexusboy

this is one of most frequently asked question.

the gerneral consensus is 90K. but some members had broken TB at 84K~85K because of the seized water pump. purportedly, you would smell the odor of anti-freeze from seized water pump.

material cost is about $450 (belt/pump/pulleys) if all from dealership

labor varies from $85/hr at dealer to $30~$40/hr by independent mechanics. it's at least a 8-hour job if done correctly and carefully.

you may also want to change thermostat ($11) and two ditributor cap/rotor ($88) inside CAM shafts when they are apart for TB replacement. prices were from AutoZone

Manufacturer recommends at 90,000 miles. From what I've read on her they will usually go past 150,000 before they actually break. With the early cars, the symptons is.... the engine stops. Should it get really bad and skip a notch, the car will run terrible if at all because the timing will be disrupted.

• 2 months later...

lucky you I went to the stealer for a shocks replacement at 82000 and they quoted me close to 2k for the 90k service including timing belt..... that's a lot but then again, I would not do it myself and would not want to take it to any mechanic so I guess is worth the money considering you get a full warranty with the job.

Walter.

wally - is 2K just for the 90,000 mile service or does that include the shocks as well....seems like alot of money to me......

Buying a set of factory shop manuals ( $150 ) & doing it yourself is alot cheaper......

Those manuals will save you thousands over the years.

Jeff