Pwr/ect/norm

Texas_lexus

I own a '96 SC300. It has a button on the middle console which is labeled PWR/ECT/NORM. I suspect that it is for some type of power boost but I'm really not sure what it really does. Would like to know what it does electrically and/or mechaniclly. Thanks!

Its just like your own personal govenor that you can turn on an off, you onli really notice a difference when you push the gas as far down as it will go, other than that no real noticable change

ECT button electrically changes transmission shift points. NORM gives better gas mileage with transmission upshifting at lower RPM's. PWR causes transmission to upshift at higher RPM's for "sportier" driving.

Thanks! I appreciate the information from both of you.

I own a '96 SC300. It has a button on the middle console which is labeled PWR/ECT/NORM. I suspect that it is for some type of power boost but I'm really not sure what it really does. Would like to know what it does electrically and/or mechaniclly. Thanks!

Its just like your own personal govenor that you can turn on an off, you onli really notice a difference when you push the gas as far down as it will go, other than that no real noticable change

Actually, with the pedal all the way down, it makes no difference at all. I have the pdf from toyota saying exactly what differences there are, and it's all the same with the pedal all the way down in downshift position. If you're accelerating on the highway in NORM, and have the pedal about halfway, then flip it to PWR, you'll notice the car downshift. It's pretty cool to see the difference like that.