Navigation (night Time Mode?)-does It Automatically Switch At Night

Cannot seem to find this answer in the auto manual- does anyone know if there is a "night mode" for the navigation system (either manual or automatic) in regards to reducing the overall brightness of the screen? In my previous car (an Audi), the screen would 'flip' automatically to a dark background when it was dark enough for my lights to turn on...Thanks....

Yeah it should invert the colours.

Now i know it can be changed however i can't remember which one of the following it was -

1) Try hit the DISP button or check around the setting on the navigation screen.

2) The speedo's light adjuster to the left? (lol i'm used to right hand drive cars :P) just next to the steering wheel (it's not lower down near the boot button - remember looking the other day) and try turn that a bit to the darker side. I'm pretty sure it's this one that'll do it. Do it in the dark (in garage, parking lot, night time) and turn it to the brightest then turn it a bit to the darker side of things and i'm PRETTY sure that should do it.

Cannot seem to find this answer in the auto manual- does anyone know if there is a "night mode" for the navigation system (either manual or automatic) in regards to reducing the overall brightness of the screen? In my previous car (an Audi), the screen would 'flip' automatically to a dark background when it was dark enough for my lights to turn on...Thanks....

Yep. You just have the dash lights on max. Turn it something less, you should feel a click as it turns indicating it has changed modes.

Now i know it can be changed however i can't remember which one of the following it was -

1) Try hit the DISP button or check around the setting on the navigation screen.

2) The speedo's light adjuster to the left? (lol i'm used to right hand drive cars :P) just next to the steering wheel (it's not lower down near the boot button - remember looking the other day) and try turn that a bit to the darker side. I'm pretty sure it's this one that'll do it. Do it in the dark (in garage, parking lot, night time) and turn it to the brightest then turn it a bit to the darker side of things and i'm PRETTY sure that should do it.

There's 2 adjustment buttons directly to the left of the steering wheel. One has a button surrounded by 2 rocker switches like this [<o>]; the other is just above it and is a round knob. The knob adjusts the illumination of the dash. If you turn it ALL THE WAY clockwise, you will hear a click--that locks it in day mode. If you turn it counterclockwise just past the click, it will swich to night mode when it is dark.

If it's JUST THE NAV SCREEN that's stuck in day mode, you might have hit the "Day Mode" button on the nav screen (when you push DISP button next to the screen). You may only see this option at night--if the dash is in day mode because it's light out, you may not see the "Day Mode" Button on the screen.

If your headlights are in auto mode the navigation screen will automatically switch at night.

If the lights are on, AUTO or not, headlights or parking lights, and it gets dark enough, the dash will dim unless the dimmer is all the way right. In fact, I had my LPS for my AUTO headlight sensitivity set to "1", and the AUTO headlights come on before the dash dims.

Oh yeah now that you mention it tex, if you turn on your headlights when there's light, the dash etc. won't dim.

With the headlights remaining on however, it will dim once you run out of light.

Good move by Lexus because can you imagine trying to read the black screen during the day.....

Oh yeah now that you mention it tex, if you turn on your headlights when there's light, the dash etc. won't dim.

With the headlights remaining on however, it will dim once you run out of light.

Good move by Lexus because can you imagine trying to read the black screen during the day.....

My Honda dims the dash when the lights are turned on--there's no light sensor. So I have to manually go into the settings to change the nav screen between DAY/NIGHT/AUTO if I have to use the headlights during the day.

This from another Lexus forum on the Lexus Nav system

"yep the NAV looks nice and all but is very disappointing in its

functionality. Maps are freakin old and the user interface is crap. For

$2000+ extra I would think it would work as good as a garmin or similar

unit."

unit."

Did you post this in the wrong thread?

• Like 1

unit."

Did you post this in the wrong thread?

I ues I did,Tex. :wacko:

THANKS for the info. Didn't even know about the night screen - wow what a difference not to have that bright NAV screen light on in the interior of the car at night.

• 8 years later...

This was driving me crazy, too.  I noticed it was stuck in Day Mode.  It wasn't until Tex mentioned the adjustment to the left of the steering wheel was I able to fix it. I think a valet must have done it.

Thanks, Tex. And no thanks to Lexus for their incredibly ridiculously HUGE and utterly WORTHLESS manual.  Look up Day or Night mode in the index.  It's not there. Then you can only fix it in the navigation screen by putting in (I think) a DVD?  But did it say just adjust the switch to the left of the steering wheel?  Maybe on page 1,350 somewhere.  This is what I dislike MOST about my car.  When I have people in the car, I tell them to open the glove compartment and see how big the manuals are.  If I keep the car twenty years I will never read all of it.  Otherwise, I've been happy with the car itself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2016 at 1:04 AM, Scottoro said:

This was driving me crazy, too.  I noticed it was stuck in Day Mode.  It wasn't until Tex mentioned the adjustment to the left of the steering wheel was I able to fix it. I think a valet must have done it.

Thanks, Tex. And no thanks to Lexus for their incredibly ridiculously HUGE and utterly WORTHLESS manual.  Look up Day or Night mode in the index.  It's not there. Then you can only fix it in the navigation screen by putting in (I think) a DVD?  But did it say just adjust the switch to the left of the steering wheel?  Maybe on page 1,350 somewhere.  This is what I dislike MOST about my car.  When I have people in the car, I tell them to open the glove compartment and see how big the manuals are.  If I keep the car twenty years I will never read all of it.  Otherwise, I've been happy with the car itself.

Umm. You're welcome, but I posted that 9 years ago.....  [/ZOMBIE THREAD]

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I just want to say thanks to the guy who mentioned the knob to the left of the steering wheel, he is correct, when it is turned all the way up it puts the vehicle in Day Mode all the time, but when you turn it to the left until it clicks, that takes it back into Night and Day Mode. Once you have turned the knob counter clockwise until you hear the click your vehicle will be back in Night Mode.

Thanks for that heads up