My Cars Tire Fell Of While I Was Driving What Should I Worry About?

ocwescoast

Thank you for looking. I recently when on a trip to San Fran which was like a 1,000 miles trip total from where I live. I have custom rims on my car so before going to san fran I decided to take my car to a shop and have them mount the stock tires, just to be safe in case I get a flat or anything like that. Well I cam back from my trip, and didnt feel like going to the shop once again and having my custom tires mounted, so I decided to try and change them myself with a jack and a few tools. I was almost done mounting them. I was on the last tire which was the front drivers side wheel. I noticed I was missing a lug nut, my care uses 6 and I only had five. I thought it was ok like that, and didnt double check to make sure that the lug nuts were all tight. After I drove I noticed a weird noise coming frommy tire, and before I knew it the tire was rolling next to me, it had came off. Now my car land on the disc, and i moved it about 3-4 feet, is there anything to be worried about? My whole front of the car got dented, but the disc looks fine. Does anyone know if insurance will cover the damages sinc eth ewheel fell off? I can tell there like maybe 1 -2 thousand in damage. Please help. Thank you

Thank you for the nasty PM too. As I said to you in the PM, its not my fault you drove off with loose and missing lug nuts (totally stupid) so don't take it out on me :rolleyes:

If you could read you would see that I asked you if your ES had 6 lugs. Having a wheel with 6 lugs won't do much for you if you have a 5 lug hub. I simply asked you a question.

I am totally confused here. But, you could have major damage that you cannot even see. I would have the car trucked to your dealer or reputable body shop and have everything checked from stem to stearn. I would tell your insurance company that the wheel came off and see if they will cover. How you ended up short a lug nut is baffling to me, but don't do it again....Right?

Rick

Are you saying your ES350 has a 6 lug hub? Because every ES350 I've seen uses a 5 lug hub.

if you could read you would see I have an aftermarket wheel with 6 lug nuts.

Dude, ES350's have 5 lugs. If you have a 6-lug wheel on it, then someone changed the axle shafts and spindles, a prohibitive cost; either you can't count or you can't see - or both :huh: .

You may not be able to see the damage done to the discs. Take them to a shop to measure for any deflection and/or out of roundness.

Bro sorry but that was just careless! and if was your insurance company i would not pay you a cent!

Really careless to drive with 5 bolts and not even make sure to tighten them!

I hope your custom wheels now make you happy!

Thank you for looking. I recently when on a trip to San Fran which was like a 1,000 miles trip total from where I live. I have custom rims on my car so before going to san fran I decided to take my car to a shop and have them mount the stock tires, just to be safe in case I get a flat or anything like that. Well I cam back from my trip, and didnt feel like going to the shop once again and having my custom tires mounted, so I decided to try and change them myself with a jack and a few tools. I was almost done mounting them. I was on the last tire which was the front drivers side wheel. I noticed I was missing a lug nut, my care uses 6 and I only had five. I thought it was ok like that, and didnt double check to make sure that the lug nuts were all tight. After I drove I noticed a weird noise coming frommy tire, and before I knew it the tire was rolling next to me, it had came off. Now my car land on the disc, and i moved it about 3-4 feet, is there anything to be worried about? My whole front of the car got dented, but the disc looks fine. Does anyone know if insurance will cover the damages sinc eth ewheel fell off? I can tell there like maybe 1 -2 thousand in damage. Please help. Thank you

WOW..................thats all I can say.

$1,000-$2,000 in damage? :blink: That's just for parts, because if this really did happen, your suspension is probably all torn to hell and back. I'm having a tough time believing this story though, as you say you've swapped rims from oem to aftermarket, but oem are 5 studded, and if you have 6, then how in the world did you get the oem's on there? But if true, I smell Darwin Award... <_<

There is no way, no way whatsoever that your insurance company is going to pony up for this. There are soooo many loop holes in this story, they probably won't even return your phone call once they read the report. They'll blame you for weakening the studs with those wheels, Lexus will say those custom wheels were not oem, as all 07' ES350's are designed with/for 5 stud operation. If you truly do have 6 studs, then whoever made that modification, might have some liability, if indeed it was stud related. But amigo, if you didn't even tighten the bolts, then all I can say is...damn

The above mentioned member is nominated for the "Rocket Scientist Award 2008". Second, whenever you take out your wheels is good to use a criss-cross pattern when tightening them. Third, the wheels should be torqued to specification, if you have a torque wrench, this will avoid damage to the discs.

CPR

The above mentioned member is nominated for the "Rocket Scientist Award 2008". Second, whenever you take out your wheels is good to use a criss-cross pattern when tightening them. Third, the wheels should be torqued to specification, if you have a torque wrench, this will avoid damage to the discs.

CPR

Let's see, one, two,three,four,six Yeah that's right :blink::huh:

Hey, lemme know which insurance you have if they pay for damages that were a result of gross negligence on your part.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here we go. Fist I want to apologize, because by mistake I said I had a 6 lugs whens its only 5. Im sorry that caused such a huge confusion. Second of all my insurance did cover the damages, and my car has been repaired and is in mint condition once again. I have Farmers Insurance for all you wondering. Thanks for the help

So you thought it was six lugs and its in fact five right after you bolted the wheels up and saw and used the lugs? Sorry, I don't buy it. I don't know why you'd lie about something like this but this doesn't make any sense.