Precedure/pictures To Fix Steering Column Gear Box

wandawoods

I fixed my steering column using the directions posted here. I filmed it and uploaded it to YouTube thinking someone would get a better understanding for what is evolved watching the video. It's really an easy fix and saves tons of money.

Here is the link:

If for some reason that link does not work, search on YouTube for this "Lexus LS400 Steering Column Repair"

I just used a ziptie as my spacer and it worked perfectly.

• 1 month later...

I tried it today with no problem. I made the shim from a Coke Zero bottle cap. To make it easy, I used the bottle as a holder and sanded the cap down on a circular sander. I found that the thickness of the cap needed was about 9mm. Others have mentioned using a combination of lithium grease and bearing grease. I used only lithium since that was what was there in the first place. I greased up everything pretty liberally. The factory shim appears to be of stiff felt construction, judging from the residue I found when I opened things up. This is a great lead, thanks again to the original author. I have to admit that it took me over an hour because I screwed up the shim twice before getting it right. To pull the gear out I used a couple of dental picks which I have in the tool box. You could improvise a suitable puller from a big stiff paper clip as well.

How common of a problem is this on the gen 1 LS400s?

On my old 1990 LS400 the electric tilt worked perfectly, even at 265K when I sold it in 2003 and my current 1991 LS400 with 217K, still works perfectly, but I rarely use it.

I guess it depends on how often its used depends on how fast it typically fails....

• 5 months later...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

THis happened to the steering column on my '97 LS400 the other day. I drove it a few days thinking I could live with it just moving in and out, rather than up or down, but after a few days, I found it very annoying and uncomfortable.

I went in to STERLING MCALL LEXUS IN HOUSTON, yes that's right, STERLING MCALL LEXUS IN HOUSTON, and after I described the problem, they had a tech glance at it. After operating it and hearing the "grrr" noise, he said, "Yes, that's your adjustment motor gearbox. It's gone bad, and will need to be replaced. Unfortunately, this is a common problem on this model after 10 years or more of use. The good news is we can definiitely fix it, though!"

Went and waited for the adjuster, and he came in with the news "Well, the gearbox will be $599, and to install it is a two hour job, so with tax the total will come to $927. Will you be leaving the car, or do you want to wait for it? We have a very comfortable waiting area, with 4 different plasma TV's and complimentary snacks for our "guests".

I klicked him hard in his unsuspecting groin (at least in my mind) and left.

Then I found THIS POST.

Again,

THANK YOU THANK YOU THAN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi! I have same problem but the difference is i don't hear the motor , no power to it. Is there a fuse for this? Location of the fuse? or could it be something else.

Thx in advance.

Mine did the same thing but i pulled the cog out and the motor whirred into life so it must have been jammed.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Damn!! It works!!-I took the cover off and sure enough, the gear was offset past the shaft--I took a soft cap off of a water bottle and drilled the center out and it fit perfectly behind the gear and I was able to press the screw on making a tight fit--I also used a mixture of lithium and wheel bearing grease to lube the whole thing--It works like a dream now I want to say thank u and u guys saved me lots of money--have a great day wanda woods--Libraman

would this work on a 1996 ls as well??

• 6 months later...

few days ago, I had a post regarding my jammed steering column (94 LS400). it was stuck at 'up' most position and refused to go down.

so, this morning, with hints from other good folks in the forum, I took sometime and completely fixed the problem. I took some pictures along the way, so anyone with the same problem, present or future, can use these pictured steps to fix it up without hundreds of ‘donation’ dollars to dealership!

dealers don't fix parts, they only install replacement parts. the motor is dealer-only item and it will cost you $524 last time I checked.

picture#1

steering_1.jpg

take off the box-like cover behind steering wheel by removing two screws at bottom. top/bottom halfs are sort of 'snap on' to each other, the bottom part can be easily removed with the steering column telescoping all the way out. you can leave the top part on.

picture#2/#3

steering_2.jpg

steering_3.jpg

with driver door open, unscrew 3 screws, loosen the bolt of the swing-out piece, then the small side panel for the motor's gear box can be removed to expose the blue plastic gear which drives the screw rod above to control the column up and down.

remove nut/washer at center axis in front of the gear piece.

the gear in mine was somewhat loose after years of use. when up-down button was pressed, it tilted inward and the teeth lost contact with the screw rod. so I had to remove the gear piece in order to put some shim piece as support behind the gear to make it rotate straight again!

if your gear has totally worn teeth, then you must find one at junk yard. the gear worth only a few cents but dealer just don't sell it standalone!

picture #4

steering_4.jpg

but the gear in mine was kinda difficult to take out, so I made a small ‘hook’ from a piece of flat metal on my work bench and kinda wedged the gear off the center axis by reachng the ‘hook’ behind the gear

picture #5

steering_5.jpg

this was how I made the shim piece which must be some sort of ring shape with about 1/4" thickness:

I took the cap of an empty ‘fuel injector cleaner’ bottle (long neck), and used my Dremel to saw it into half along rim side. then I took the inner ring which is hard plastic and used it as the shim ring going behind the gear piece. it’s in perfect diameter and thickness for this purpose!

picture #6

steering_6.jpg

place the shim ring around center axis, reinsert the gear piece, make sure it is straight and in good contact with the screw rod above. reinstall washer/nut at center axis.

try the up-down button again, and BINGO! my steering column now goes up-down perfectly and freely!

I assume you know what to do in reverse after that.

total time spent: no more than 20 minutes, total cost: 0 dollars and 0 cents!

Hey, I just fixed my gear because it was pushed back but the motor seems to be dead. I was wondering if there was any fuses connected to it because the forward and back motor works perfectly fine its just the up down motor which seems to not be working. Please help, hate driving a luxurious car like a friggen bus!

• 5 months later...

This fix was a life saver. My Lexus LS 400 1994 was a bit different in removing the lower cover though. Left screw recessed 1/2 inch in but the right screw was recessed inside the cover about 4 inches and the cover still would not completely come off. After a through inspection I did notice a screw hole on the front of the cover behind the steering wheel but was not accessible unless you removed the steering wheel (not) after tugging and pulling the plastic screw mount snapped off and the cover was removed. The gear needed to be shimmed but used a couple of 1/2 inch washers and that did the trick. GREAT POST and pictures, a Lexus repair shop didn't even know of this fix!