"low Coolant" Warning Lamp Stays Illuminated....

90LS400Lexus

Someone mentioned this in another thread, but there were no details. That 1991 LS400 I am considering has a problem with that. He said that the low coolant light stays on, even when the coolant is full. He said the dealer said it was a sensor and it was about $100. Does this seem about right and is this a common problem? I know someone else that mentioned this- the reply was that the alternator may be going out. He said that the PS was not leaking however. ??

Thanks.

Someone mentioned this in another thread, but there were no details. That 1991 LS400 I am considering has a problem with that. He said that the low coolant light stays on, even when the coolant is full. He said the dealer said it was a sensor and it was about $100. Does this seem about right and is this a common problem? I know someone else that mentioned this- the reply was that the alternator may be going out. He said that the PS was not leaking however. ??

Thanks.

Today, i have atune up for my 1992 ls400, 165k. check finds a slow leakage in water pump. i was told it ok as long as i take care of the water level. my radiator lite also on all the time. check the front bottom of the car ans see if you find sone collant leakage. Possibly that turns on the light.

Thanks. Well he said that the dealer said it was the sensor and that the car was up to date on all maintainence and there were no leaks at all. Of course I am only able to take his word on this, as I cannot see the car personally before I buy it.

Today, i have atune up for my 1992 ls400, 165k. check finds a slow leakage in water pump. i was told it ok as long as i take care of the water level. my radiator lite also on all the time. check the front bottom of the car ans see if you find sone collant leakage. Possibly that turns on the light.

Thanks.

My 91 had the same problem when i got it,the dealer wanted $121 dollars for the new sensor(screws right into the coolant reservoir)I notices a small crack right around where it screws in.I bought a whole new reservoir with sensor at a salvage yard for $25.no more coolant level light

Thanks. I called my local Lexus dealer today and initially he said that sensor was no longer available by itself and I would have to buy an entire reservoir, which was about $250. He put me on hold and checked and came back and said the sensor was indeed available. He said it was $135. I asked him how much it would be for labor to have it installed and he said about an hour- and it would be about $65.

I still have not made a decision on the car in question, because I think $3400 is steep for a 91' with 208K, but I am having very much trouble finding one locally. One good thing about it, is that the t-belt and ALL fluids and filters were just changed @ Lexus. I have to pay an additional $345 for shipping, then another $$$ to get it titled. :rolleyes:

I found another LS400, a 1992 model for $2500, but its also about 300 miles away. Its in GC, but it has the air suspension. Thats another story ....

My 91 had the same problem when i got it,the dealer wanted $121 dollars for the new sensor(screws right into the coolant reservoir)I notices a small crack right around where it screws in.I bought a whole new reservoir with sensor at a salvage yard for $25.no more coolant level light