White Smoke From The Two Exhaust In Tick Over

hi all

it's the frenchy

i observ that my lexus 1990 ls400 smoke in white a lot when i'm in stop.

when i drive, there is nothing. I see it's when the first drive pass, the smoke disappear.

When i wait at the road signal (red) i observ lot of smoke this night. At first i hope that it's the winter is here (10°C).

Perhaps...

Thanks a lot.

I will change my air filter soon. Have you the serial number of the spare?

thanks all

regards from France

Denis

post-55658-1194645335_thumb.jpg

Well, this explain that...

My power steering make noise last week, forum tell me to change the fluid. I change it. No noise now... But smoke!

Where is this vaccum air control valve?

Is there any problem which can explain this smoke? Something with less money...

thanks a lot

Have you a picture of your car? (my son is asking that!)

Well, this explain that...

My power steering make noise last week, forum tell me to change the fluid. I change it. No noise now... But smoke!

Where is this vaccum air control valve?

Is there any problem which can explain this smoke? Something with less money...

thanks a lot

Have you a picture of your car? (my son is asking that!)

OK.... you need to remove the valve from the PS pump and purchase a 17mm drain plug and plug it. Now you have 2 vacume lines to plug up which were connected to it. Cheap and good solution..... Cheers

Is your radiator losing any coolant? White smoke is often nothing more than steam from coolant from the radiator getting into the cylinders via a cracked head gasket.

That is the case on most cars but the LS has many known issues and this is one.

Here check out this recent post: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...r+control+valve

And if you search using "air+control+valve" you will get many more post about the issue. someone in the past actually added a filter to catch the PS fluid going thru the hose and into the intake. also you will see that the part is available for less that the website i first posted. ALWAYS check multiple sites for parts. Prices change with the shop.

I'll post a pic when i wash it!

What you are seeing is steam, or more correctly, water vapour. It is the result of the large exhaust system condensing the water formed during normal combustion. Here in Canada there are cold regions where even fully warm cars make vapour in the exhaust.

It isn't a blown head gasket - almost unheard of in the V-8 engines, or an idle up valve, or anything other than completely normal.

Drive the car. Enjoy it.

Well

Thanks all. i feel better when i read your suggestions.

This day, no smoke. I must be careful and see the next days. Perhaps it's the cold weather.

So, when i read the forum about LS400 first generation, i see that the power steering system is a source of problem.

I must be careful about it and keep an eye on possible leaking fluid.

I see the air control valve in picture. Lot's of work to replace it and certainely difficult to do.

what is the major problem about first generation ?

Well

Thanks all. i feel better when i read your suggestions.

This day, no smoke. I must be careful and see the next days. Perhaps it's the cold weather.

So, when i read the forum about LS400 first generation, i see that the power steering system is a source of problem.

I must be careful about it and keep an eye on possible leaking fluid.

I see the air control valve in picture. Lot's of work to replace it and certainely difficult to do.

what is the major problem about first generation ?

I agree that is most likely moisture in the exhaust.

An easy check might be to bypass the air control valve by disconnecting the vacuum lines at the front of the manifold and plugging them (takes two minutes). I did this 6 months ago to end my problem of losing power steering fluid. It is still bypassed and I haven't noticed any difference in the way it drives.

Good Luck.