More Tire Questions

Reyan

I know this tire issue has been discussed but I still don't see the answer I am looking for.

Everyone has agreed that changing from RFT to normal tires provides a huge difference. What I want to know, is what tires would be best for comfort and quietness. I don't care about speed, just comfort. I realize that nobody will have tried all different tires....but I've been going over the information on Tire Rack and still can't find the best tire for smooth ride and quietness...the best one. Most of the reviews are geared toward speed and performance.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

You should read my article on tire wear. You sound like me and don't need super handling, just good tire life and a smooth quite ride. The michelins give a really smooth and quite ride. They are expensive and if you don't reduce the excessive negative camber, then you get a very short life, due to inside tire wear.

I purchased a set of Toyo Versado LX's about 6 months ago & have been very happy with them. I also do not care as much for the speed rating as I do the quiet & comfort of the tire. They are also considerably less expensive than the Michelin's.

Does anyone know if Kumho tires are good because I need to get a new set of tires. The guy at the tire shop said that kumho tires would be good also, should i get the wide or the regular tires...I live in Michigan so I need tires that are good in all weather, ice, snow, and dry summer heat. I'm not that much of an aggressive driver, but I AM more aggressive then most. So I really need to know which is the best tire for long treadlife with the best traction in all conditions...please help. ^_^

• 2 months later...
I know this tire issue has been discussed but I still don't see the answer I am looking for.

Everyone has agreed that changing from RFT to normal tires provides a huge difference. What I want to know, is what tires would be best for comfort and quietness. I don't care about speed, just comfort. I realize that nobody will have tried all different tires....but I've been going over the information on Tire Rack and still can't find the best tire for smooth ride and quietness...the best one. Most of the reviews are geared toward speed and performance.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Hi Reyan,

Don't know if you've solved your tire issue or not, but we had the same concerns - quiet comfort over speed and performance:

I switched from run-flats to Michelin Pilot Sport and went from unknowingly putting up with a miserable ride to being completely thrilled. It has been about a year since the conversion and still endlessly remark about how ecstatic I am with the decision. Add to that that they perform well beyond my expectation is another plus.

Make certain you have Lexus, or some VERY qualified group change the tires - just getting the wheels off will throw most tire shops - not to mention the expensive challenges of the sensors!

Good luck,

I have driven OEM run flats on my 2007 SC430 for roughly one year and have reached my limits in terms of ride quality. Clearly, run flats are not where they need to be in terms of ride quality and diminish the driving experience of a wonderful car. This spring, I am moving over to aerated tires and am also looking for a smooth and quiet riding tire. Like, Reyan, open to ideas other than the Toyos. ContiProContact Extremes? Michelin Pilots? Others.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks, the Michelin Exalto A/S sounds like a great tire for the SC430 and is top rated for ride quality and quietness. However, they don't appear to make these in the SC size of 245/40/18. Bummer. Any other ideas?

Well, the reason higher performance tires are the answer is because the softer compound used in them provide a much quiter ride. Comfort comes from the amount of sidewall and sidewall construction. So somewhere along the line you have to make trade-offs.

I have run Dunlops, Goodyears, Michelins, Bridgestones, Generals, Kuhomos, and a bunch of others. For the 245/40/18, the best tire is hands down the Michelin Pilot's or the Bridgestone Pole Positions. You say you don't care about speed and performance, but trust me, you do. You just don't know it yet. The car just responds soooo much better to steering input, and after the first 500 miles the tires get very quiet. You won't be unhappy with these. Now, understand, your not going to get 50,000 miles on these tires. But that again is the trade off you have to make.

I am also looking to replace the run flats on my '06 SC430. There are a lot of useful recommendations to choose from. For those that have made the switch, I have a question. What about the spare tire issue? Not worry about, get the 12v air compressor and a can of tire sealer? The spare tire kit from the dealer is now (1-14-08) $900, which includes everything color-coordinated in Lexus fashion. The same dealer can get the spare rim for $135 and the donut tire for $150. A jack form Pep Boys for $40 should complete the set.

Any feedback on these options?

Rand

I currently have Bridgestone Blizzak run flats on my car and may wait another month or two before switching to aerated tires, despite the rough ride that exposes even the slightest bump as though it were a major pothole.

Having read the other postings on the site, I am going with either Michelin Pilots or Bridgestone Potenza RE960A Pole Positions. I also obtained the quote from the dealer about adding $900 worth of additional equipment for the spare, etc. and have decided that I am instead going with a green slime kit w/ portable 12V air compressor, placing it in the spare wheel well. These are available at amazon.com or at Wal-Mart.

When I have the new tires installed, I will show the mechanic the various postings about adjusting the alignment - taking the negative camber out as much as possible, and setting the toe-in for the front and rear. Any other alignment advice for when the new tires are installed?

• 3 weeks later...

I currently have Bridgestone Blizzak run flats on my car and may wait another month or two before switching to aerated tires, despite the rough ride that exposes even the slightest bump as though it were a major pothole.

Having read the other postings on the site, I am going with either Michelin Pilots or Bridgestone Potenza RE960A Pole Positions. I also obtained the quote from the dealer about adding $900 worth of additional equipment for the spare, etc. and have decided that I am instead going with a green slime kit w/ portable 12V air compressor, placing it in the spare wheel well. These are available at amazon.com or at Wal-Mart.

When I have the new tires installed, I will show the mechanic the various postings about adjusting the alignment - taking the negative camber out as much as possible, and setting the toe-in for the front and rear. Any other alignment advice for when the new tires are installed?

I went with the Bridgestone tires and had my tire guy read the alingment threads here and adjust accordingly. I have not yet resolved the spare tire issue yet. I do a lot of backroad driving and having the donut spare could be a peace-of-mind advantage. I would like to hear from someone who has given up on the runflats and how they handle the spare tire issue.

Rand

As I'd said in a different thread re choices of replacements for runflats, went to Michelin Pilot Sports - what a complete difference - smooth ride, safer ride because of better handling on corners and in rain. Also, after the runflats had had the aforementioned Portenzas - again, the Pilots are an incredibly-betterhandling, quieter, smoother ride. Almost was talked into the Falkens, but was a little hesitant to try them as I don't know anyone who's used them.

I purchased Bridgestone Potenza RE-960 4000 miles ago. Absoletly love them. Purchased from Discount Tires.

I purchased the same time - replacing the run-flats - and also am VERY pleased with the improved ride. However, the tire dealer says he cannot reset the air pressure sensors , so the light on the dash is always on. He told me only a Lexus dealer can reset them. Is he giving a me a line of crap?

I went with the Bridgestone tires and had my tire guy read the alingment threads here and adjust accordingly. I have not yet resolved the spare tire issue yet. I do a lot of backroad driving and having the donut spare could be a peace-of-mind advantage. I would like to hear from someone who has given up on the runflats and how they handle the spare tire issue.

Rand

• 4 weeks later...
I purchased Bridgestone Potenza RE-960 4000 miles ago. Absoletly love them. Purchased from Discount Tires.

I purchased the same time - replacing the run-flats - and also am VERY pleased with the improved ride. However, the tire dealer says he cannot reset the air pressure sensors , so the light on the dash is always on. He told me only a Lexus dealer can reset them. Is he giving a me a line of crap?

Lexus dealer installed new Bridgestones and tried THREE times to get the RFT not to leak. Dash light came on each time when tire pressure dropped to 20lbs. Finally out of frustration I went to local Discount Tires...they solved it in 15 minutes. Said dealer put back old sensor and didn't take the time (or lacked the experience) to make sure it, and the new tire, "seated" properly when replacid. Sensor was $5.15...labor by Discount Tires $0. Dash light re-set and went out. Granted the guy was an old "tire hand" with tons of experience, so ask around for who has been there at the shop the longest. Guess where I'm buying my next tires...

• 3 months later...
Have you guys heard about the falken tires?

I have always used Michlins, but the Falkens are the best buys, I put on my 17inch lexus gs300 2006 wheels with 225/50/17 falken ziex 912 to my 2002 sc430, and the ride improvement is incredible!!!!! not to mention that these wheels looks far much better than the alien plate 18 inches. try the falkens, they are only $120 per tire

• 2 weeks later...

Lexus dealer installed new Bridgestones and tried THREE times to get the RFT not to leak. Dash light came on each time when tire pressure dropped to 20lbs. Finally out of frustration I went to local Discount Tires...they solved it in 15 minutes. Said dealer put back old sensor and didn't take the time (or lacked the experience) to make sure it, and the new tire, "seated" properly when replacid. Sensor was $5.15...labor by Discount Tires $0. Dash light re-set and went out. Granted the guy was an old "tire hand" with tons of experience, so ask around for who has been there at the shop the longest. Guess where I'm buying my next tires...

Went with Bridgestone 960 AS about 6 months ago. Running 40 lbs in all four. Bought (also from Tirereack) the Continental inflator kit (haven't used it yet). Everything is perfect. Wonderful ride quality with good responsiveness. Couldn't stand the OEM Dunlop SSTs.

Could anyone provide insight on how many miles I could expect on both the Michelin Pilot A/S and the Bridgestone Pole Position (which seem to be the top contenders based on posts I've read), and the Conti that has been recommended by some?

Secondly, there are a variety of Michelin Pilots in addition to the A/S. Are any of the others worth considering?

Lastly, some reviews discuss losing MPGs when they go to an all-season tire. No one has quantified what they lose but I would be interested in understanding that as well. It is not likely I will be driving my SC430 in the winter anyway so if I have to trade off winter driving for better gas mileage, if it were significant enough I would consider it.

Thanks!