Es300 Starting Problem Brainteaser

dred

Hi! I have an 99 ES300 wit occasional starting problems. Occurs most often have driving the car and then trying to restart it. What happens when you turn the key is that the starter will crank, the engine catches, starts, revs to 1000rpm then instantly dies. If you step on the gas when the engine catches, the engine will run w/o problems, no engine check lights, let go of the gas and it dies too. Will start and drive normally after you keep the engine running for a little bit and then restarting it though.

I initially thought it was the spark plugs and changed them (88k) but still the same. (And I threw all the iridium plugs in the trash!) Help!! Plz!!

this could be a number of things!did you change the air filter?also maybe a fuel cleaning would help or i also heard of some poeple having a very small crack in the throttle tube that runs from the throttle boddy to the air filter box.hope this helps.

i have the same problem too.... on my 97..(Canadian Version)

but i still did not find out the problem yet..also i find this problem is pretty common on 97-99 ES... :chairshot:

i think we should reflect this to LEXUS.. :cheers: as a recall

Well, my friend who actually has a 98 also had this problem. Of course she has money and took it to the dealer. She said they replaced the spark plugs, maybe wires too, she doesn't remember and has lost the receipt so I can't figure out what they did. Yeah, I heard this is a fairly common problem too, but no one seems to have a solution yet except for the dealer.

Yeah, my air filter is about several months old, new Bosch +4 plugs (it actually seems to run better on these than the old iridium plugs - better low end power but I think weaker on the freeway, maybe it's a hot plug). The only thing I haven't changed is the battery - but there's no problems cranking at all and the car does start, just doesn't stay alive. Maybe it's a sensor or something.

it might be a problem of air in the fuel lines

caused by a hot engine

and then air expanding the fuel causing it to misfire

then when the gas is pressed enough it bleeds it out causing the dealer to find nothing

and the car to run normally after

as it happens after turnign the car off hot

and the fuel lines are right on top otf the car

if you are running into the problem

a solution might be to wrap the ends of the fuel rails in insulation to keep the fuel from cavatating

but in order to find out if it is or not then it would mean pressing the schrader valve on the fuel rail when it is staarting funny

it looks like a tire valve with a cap

just press it in and see if there is gas and bubles coming out in spurts

instead of a steady stream of just gas

only reason it might be a heat issue is beacause there is a sludge problem with newer 97 and up 1mz-fe engine beacuse of the higher temp they run at for emmisions

this would cause the problem or air cavataion or fuel vapours

• 2 months later...

My 97 does this also intermittently. However mine has been diagnosed. According to Lexus it is the IAC valve that causes this problem. $240 part plus $200.00 labor.

I had mostly run Mobil 89 octane in my ES in the last 4 months. Which by the way are my first months with car. I have been recently running Union 76 89 octane without MTBE. Have not really had the problem since although I do not believe the problem is solved just a bit postponed.