Wow, $55 To Change One Or More Programming Options

Jerry Bransford

Sheesh, for what I can do for free in our other cars (program options like one/all doors unlock from the remote key etc.), the Lexus dealer (Lexus of Carlsbad Calif.) I bought it from wants $55. I sure wish there was a third-party scan tool that wasn't $7,000 I could use for this kind of stuff. :wacko:

This may be a dealer specific issue.

My dealer (Lexus of Roseville in California) was asked if there would be a charge to reprogram the preferences if something needed changed and the service rep said it would be done for free.

The car was bought at that dealer so that may may be something influencing the complimentary changing.

Anyone else getting their programming done for free past the initial delivery cycle when things are still new and the dealer is trying to make a good impression? My LS430 was taken in this morning for service to have two problems resolved under warranty when they told me it'd be $55 to have my doors programmed so they would all open from one click on the key fob instead of a double-click which only works maybe half the time.

I woud call them and tell them in no uncertain terms, politely of course that you the customer feel that this should be complimentary, as it only takes a few minutes and you were nice enough to give them business, especially since other dealerships and give these posts as reference do give that courtesy.

Good point about the tool not being free, but I think this should be a freebie feel good item, my dealer does it for free but all dealers are different. They also do stuff for me for free that they don't do for other people because I'm such a good customer.