So A Little Square Rubber Pad Fell Out...

Hi everyone,

I was working on diagnosing a repetitive "squeak... squeak... squeak" from the engine compartment of my 1997 SC400 (seems to be the drive belt tensioner) and I must have bumped this little rubber pad. Unfortunately, I don't see where it goes, nor did I actually see it fall; I just heard it hit the plastic engine undercover. I picked it up, and it is about 1.25 inches square and made of black rubber. It's coated with dried-up adhesive on one side. There is a little dent in the uncoated side, so I assume it was used to protect something flat from something else sharp. Unfortunately, it seems that all of the adhesive residue stuck to the pad, and none to the part it was stuck onto, so I was wondering...

...does anybody have *any* idea where this thing goes?

Thanks,

Ben

Not sure where that came from. But that squeak may very well be from the drive belt tensioner. I had to replace mine when it started squeaking. I would go to www.partsamerica.com Here you go: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail....819&PTSet=A

One of the few non oem parts I have used. Haven't had any problems with it since and that was about two years ago. Pretty good deal for that price.

Thanks for the reply. I suspect that you're right about the tensioner--moving it by hand causes all sorts of unhappy "creaking" noises, and it doesn't move particularly smoothly. That tensioner from Parts America does look like a good deal; the cheapest I've been able to find the OE one is about $170.

My next question is... how do I replace the tensioner? It looks like I have to remove the upper and lower timing covers on that side of the engine, unbolt the tensioner, and pull it out. Am I on the right track? Also, can the timing cover gaskets be reused, or must they be replaced?

Oh, and that rubber square? I'm still baffled. I spent an hour looking for a clean spot on the engine, or any other clue that would give away its former location, but I found nothing. Oh, well...

Thanks,

Ben