Rebuild Or Shortblock

dave.b

Well, I guess it may come to this, but it hasn't yet. I believe I have some mechanical issues (rod bearing) that will eventually require the rebuild or shortblock replacement in my is300. The car only has 83k miles but apparently the previous owner never changed the oil. I intend to wait until I have a complete diag run on the noise before overhauling anything, but I would appreciate the opinions of you guys who are more knowledgable than me.

I have mechanical experience, no formal training. I have done things like order slightly oversized bearings, rings, etc for old Pontiacs. I have removed several Pontiac and old Vdub engines, but I have never rebuilt anything that really needs to be spec'd using micrometers etc. See, already showing my ignorance.

So...my questions are:

1. Better to rebuild with SC300 or Surpra internals?

2. Better to order IS300 or NA Supra short block?

3. Have the work done by Toyota or good mechanic?

I just don't know. I know the internals - bearings, rods, rings, etc from the Supra are supposed to fit, but I would assume rod bearing damage may have (by the time I replace) ruined the crank.

Any advice here?

Thanks in advance.

Well, in order to point you in the right direction, I think you would need to first sit down and deterine what your goals are. For example, if your only interested in stock hp and stock performance, then I would simple look for a used motor and just drop it in as a full replacement. You have 83k on it now. You could find motors with fewer miles quite readily. And cheap too. I think I saw one on Ebay, engine with tranny and ecu for 2 grand out of a 2003 IS300 with 55k miles on it.

But if your looking for more, get a new 2JZGE block. Iv'e seen them for 750 ish dollars. Install forged everything. take the heads off the old motor, port and polish, and tranfer those to the new motor. And all the other goodies, while replacing anything along the way that might not in great shape. Drop it in and your ready for turbo with a tranny upgrade.

If you want alot more, then get the 2JZGTE block, Iv'e seen those for around 2200. And build from there. But then you will need a new tranny and drive shaft to go with it.

And if you want to be crazy, drop in th 1UFZ V8 motor!!!! why not??? It won't cost you much more. You'll have to do some custom work, but it's been done already.

And of course there are alot of in between routes you can go also. How much do you wanna spend?? How much hp are you looking for?

And as for the knowledge thing. Depending on how much time you have, you can find all the answers along the way. Whats gonna kill you are the tools if you don't have them. The amount of money your gonna spend on tools is about what you would pay a good mechanic to do it for you. Especially on a big job like this. And you'll need the garage and atleast a few months to work on it. As you have to go to work and do all the honey do list stuff along the way, order parts and wait, etc. etc. But I have alot of fun with that part. You may think that as well.

Thanks for the info. I don't think I would ever go more than 300-350 HP. If I do invest in a new block or internals, I want it to be strong enough to handle FI dependably. Its an auto. I figure I would invest around 2-3k for now. I really want a dependable car and I'm partial to the IS. Sure I could trade/sell it, but I like the car. I have no doubt that I could do a full swap if the new block has the same engine mount configuration etc, etc..I could also go for a low mileage used engine. I have a thing about overkill, that's why I suggested the 2JZ-GTE internals or the NA Supra 2JZ-GE internals. My understanding is that either are stronger than the IS 2JZ-GE internals.

If I keep it, seeing as I will have invested in a new engine, it will evetually get FI. BTW, its an auto, 2002.