And Another Thing

spalkin

Why in the world do car makers have absolutely no system of filtering or at least lessening the amount of crap that comes into the throttle body via the EGR and the breather hose?

I mean, if they weren't there or at least didn't contribute to filthying up the intake, then the only thing ever to go through there would be air and it would be as clean as can be.

Instead, the breather and the EGR let in nothing but undesirable elements inside the whole intake.

On this car (95 ES) and my old Honda, I bought small 'can type' fuel filters by Fram and installed them in the breather line. I noticed a definite improvement in the amount crap coming in from that port, and the filters don't at all hinder the flow of air. Now for some sort of EGR filter.

It just boggles the mind why they would allow that, unless they figure that by the time the deposits get so bad that it hurts the car, the thing will be 30 years old and worn out anyway.

I shot into the IAC valve with some throttle body cleaner and it really cleaned it. Idles like new again. It only had the slightest vib at idle, now there's nothing.

I was thinking about SeaFoam but decided to leave well enough alone. When I changed out the valve cover gaskets everything under them was very clean. No danger of sludge on this one.

I wouldn't run SeaFoam in the oil, that's just me. A very knowledgeable and skilled mechanic told me that running transmission fluid instead of oil is amazing. The cleaning, lubricating and anti-foaming properties of transmission fluid are nothing short of astonishing. he said you can run it change to change if you want once a year or so.

I've never done it but I've never forgotten it either.

Anyway, time for bed.

Why in the world do car makers have absolutely no system of filtering or at least lessening the amount of crap that comes into the throttle body via the EGR and the breather hose?

I mean, if they weren't there or at least didn't contribute to filthying up the intake, then the only thing ever to go through there would be air and it would be as clean as can be.

Instead, the breather and the EGR let in nothing but undesirable elements inside the whole intake.

On this car (95 ES) and my old Honda, I bought small 'can type' fuel filters by Fram and installed them in the breather line. I noticed a definite improvement in the amount crap coming in from that port, and the filters don't at all hinder the flow of air. Now for some sort of EGR filter.

It just boggles the mind why they would allow that, unless they figure that by the time the deposits get so bad that it hurts the car, the thing will be 30 years old and worn out anyway.

I shot into the IAC valve with some throttle body cleaner and it really cleaned it. Idles like new again. It only had the slightest vib at idle, now there's nothing.

I was thinking about SeaFoam but decided to leave well enough alone. When I changed out the valve cover gaskets everything under them was very clean. No danger of sludge on this one.

I wouldn't run SeaFoam in the oil, that's just me. A very knowledgeable and skilled mechanic told me that running transmission fluid instead of oil is amazing. The cleaning, lubricating and anti-foaming properties of transmission fluid are nothing short of astonishing. he said you can run it change to change if you want once a year or so.

I've never done it but I've never forgotten it either.

Has it yet occurred to you that a reasonably efficient filter would clog up so fast as to be a significant DETRIMENT most of the time.

Anyway, time for bed.

So many reasons not to run tranny fluid instead of oil. First being that transmission fluid is for the transmission and motor oil is for the engine. Second being that tranny oil was not designed for the heat that a engine puts out. Third being that motor oils have different viscosities (sp?) that allow oil to flow well in the cold, and thicken when hot. Fourth being that tranny oil doesn't lubricate as well as even conventional oil, fifth.... ect...ect...ect...

One thing's for sure, they run and run without any mods at all. Changing the oil and dropping three out of the trans every 3k goes a long way.

Mine has 220k on it and not one problem. Plenty of maintenance but no drivability issues.