Is It Worth Selling '07 Es350 For 2005 Ls430 Ultra Luxury Package?

akhawaja

Hey Lexus owners.... advise me with the following scenario...

I have an offer of a beautiful 2005 LS 430, ultra luxury package which includes all the features like, navigation, bluetooth, rear seats massager, rear control unit (for ac, radio, music player etc..) in the arm rest for rear passengers and on top of all this, V8, 4.3L and 290hp and it just looks and feels awsome!

pls note: it doesn't have DVD, mp3 player which I currently have for my ES350. Moreover, the warranty is an issue.

Do you think it's worth for me to sell my 2007 ES350 full options FOR 2005 LS430?

I have an offer of a beautiful 2005 LS 430, ultra luxury package which includes all the features like, navigation, bluetooth, rear seats massager, rear control unit (for ac, radio, music player etc..) in the arm rest for rear passengers and on top of all this, V8, 4.3L and 290hp and it just looks and feels awsome!

pls note: it doesn't have DVD, mp3 player which I currently have for my ES350. Moreover, the warranty is an issue.

Do you think it's worth for me to sell my 2007 ES350 full options FOR 2005 LS430?

Can you get the 'extended warranty' over there? I just got an 06 Ultra and added the extended warranty with 'platinum' coverage so it looks after everything except 'wear' items ( so all electronics and air ride are covered for 100,000 miles or 7 years.

The radar cruise control is very impressive for someone like me that never had it on a car prior.

You didn't say how much you had to pay -- that might seem the issue.

You really impress guests who have to ride in the back ....:-)

Greg

Absolutely, DO IT...!

You'll never regret it.

I wouldn't do it for the very reason that you're going to take a bath financially on your ES350 because its so new. That has nothing to do with the LS vs the ES, it simply would be a very dumb financial move.

Would he really take a financial bath? A used 2007 ES 350 retails for about the same as a used 2005 LS. It might be an even trade. Per cars.com, some of the used 20005 LS's are retailing in the mid to high 40's, but there's plenty in the mid 30's range.

I wouldn't do it for the very reason that you're going to take a bath financially on your ES350 because its so new. That has nothing to do with the LS vs the ES, it simply would be a very dumb financial move.

Decisions like this can't be left to only to financial reasoning, heart, desire, and satisfaction is part of such a decision too. If that weren't the case, we'd all be driving Toyotas & wearing Timex watches. The LS-430 is so much more about what Lexus is all about than the ES-350 ever was, especially since the ES-350 is much more Toyota-like than it is Lexus-like.

If it were me, I'd do it in a heartbeat. :)

Would he really take a financial bath? A used 2007 ES 350 retails for about the same as a used 2005 LS. It might be an even trade. Per cars.com, some of the used 20005 LS's are retailing in the mid to high 40's, but there's plenty in the mid 30's range.

When you look at what he spent on the ES vs what he'd be able to get for it now he'd take a huge financial bath. Unless the LS were a spectacular below market deal he'd definately be in the red.

Decisions like this can't be left to only to financial reasoning, heart, desire, and satisfaction is part of such a decision too. If that weren't the case, we'd all be driving Toyotas & wearing Timex watches. The LS-430 is so much more about what Lexus is all about than the ES-350 ever was, especially since the ES-350 is much more Toyota-like than it is Lexus-like.

I'm sorry, but even if it is a Lexus its still a car. If you go through life just changing your mind months after buying a new car and flitting around to new options all the time, unless you have significant financial resources you will damage yourself.

As for the car, the ES is far more LS like than most people (namely LS owners) like to admit, ESPECIALLY the ES350. The ES post 02 was designed specifically to posess much of the driving feel and dynamics of the LS. The LS is a nicer car, no question and given the choice between an LS and an ES I'd take the LS (although I would still probably, and did, choose a new ES over a used LS). But unless you're switching back and forth between the ES and the LS all the time you don't notice the areas where the ES falls short of the LS. The LS is the car that got me into Lexus, my dad has had two. When I drive the LS I'm always awe struck by it and immediately start thinking about buying one for myself. Then, when I drive the ES again I'm always impressed by how similar it is to the LS and the desire to replace it goes by the wayside. Whenever my Dad rides in or drives my ES or an ES350 loaner he always says the same thing, that he's surprised how similar it is.

The switch isn't worth taking a bath for.

I'm not convinced he'd take a bath over and above the one he's already taken after driving the ES off the lot. He's been hit by the depreciation already whether he trades, sells or not. Trading the ES for the LS might be a wash based on what I've seen about retail prices on these cars.

I do agree it makes sense to be very careful in financial decision making about cars, afterall, they don't make one money by growing in value nor do they pay cash dividends. That's the main reason I try to minimize what I'm paying and get the sort of car that yields the maximum durability. Lexus makes some very nice vehicles, but there's not one of them that puts money in my pocket.

When you look at what he spent on the ES vs what he'd be able to get for it now he'd take a huge financial bath. Unless the LS were a spectacular below market deal he'd definately be in the red.

I'm sorry, but even if it is a Lexus its still a car. If you go through life just changing your mind months after buying a new car and flitting around to new options all the time, unless you have significant financial resources you will damage yourself.

As for the car, the ES is far more LS like than most people (namely LS owners) like to admit, ESPECIALLY the ES350. The ES post 02 was designed specifically to posess much of the driving feel and dynamics of the LS. The LS is a nicer car, no question and given the choice between an LS and an ES I'd take the LS (although I would still probably, and did, choose a new ES over a used LS). But unless you're switching back and forth between the ES and the LS all the time you don't notice the areas where the ES falls short of the LS. The LS is the car that got me into Lexus, my dad has had two. When I drive the LS I'm always awe struck by it and immediately start thinking about buying one for myself. Then, when I drive the ES again I'm always impressed by how similar it is to the LS and the desire to replace it goes by the wayside. Whenever my Dad rides in or drives my ES or an ES350 loaner he always says the same thing, that he's surprised how similar it is.

The switch isn't worth taking a bath for.

True, he's taken the depreciation hit already but that loss is deferred the longer he owns the car.

Selling a brand new car after a few months simply because you see something else you like better is foolish, no way around it.

I see where SW03ES is coming from. I would love to have an 05' LS over a 07' ES, but the 07' is a NEW car, but I am sure the 05' is still in mint order, but... I do not know. I guess its how much more do you like the LS over the ES?

Whats the $ difference? Whats the mileage on both cars? I do not see that listed anywhere.

You are forgetting the most important factor in the equation... Comfort! I am 6'2" and I tried a 2001 ES300 excellent condition and settled for a 2001 LS430 in like condition. There is no comparison in the two to me. I was sold as soon as I sat in the LS. I think it is a great deal for you because it may be a even trade now, but the LS will have a better value in the long run. Go for it!

• 2 weeks later...

I would stay with the ES350 and its new car smell. When you finish paying for it, you can then use it as a trade-in to buy a new LS of lets say a 2012 model, imagine how good that one will be over your 2005 LS or 2007 ES.

I have to also agree that you could loose money, if you do not loose any money then if you feel the LS is so much more with your mind, Logic and your Emotions, feelings then do it and drink all night over it, you will feel great in the morning when you see your great LS, if you do not do it, it is not bad at all to have a brand new car. Remember every year they are improving imagine the future, maybe a Diesel Hybrid from Lexus that will give 55 mpg and feel every inc a Lexus! The future is brigther every second in the Lexus camp!

CPR

You are forgetting the most important factor in the equation... Comfort! I am 6'2" and I tried a 2001 ES300 excellent condition and settled for a 2001 LS430 in like condition. There is no comparison in the two to me. I was sold as soon as I sat in the LS. I think it is a great deal for you because it may be a even trade now, but the LS will have a better value in the long run. Go for it!

You can't compare an 01 ES300 with an 07 ES350. You can't even compare an 02 ES with an 01 ES. The ES is now significantly larger, more comfortable, better riding, more powerful, and quieter than the previous ES'. Its a lot more similar to the LS.

• 2 weeks later...

Go for the LS, the ES is just a really nice Toyota Camry, but the LS is the flagship lexus, truelly the best car in the world under $100k.... plus the V8 torque and rear wheel drive make for a much better driving experience.

True the ES shares 20% of its components with the Camry but it is a much nicer car than the Camry, especially the ES350. All you have to do is drive them both to see the difference.

Again, nobody is denying that the LS is more car. The question is whether this swap makes sense now that he has already purchased the ES.

It is funny that AKHAWAJA has not replied to any comments made. We don't know if he bought the car new or used. If he paid 25K for it, he should have already traded the damn thing....Looks like the going rate for a used one is $30K without NAV. If he paid 30K for his car and trading it even up for the LS430 I would say that would be a good trade. Having never driven and ES350 an can't differentiate about driving experience but by reading reviews, Specs and looking at Interior photos I can honestly tell you that if someone were to walk up to me and say "I will give you this brand new 2007 ES 350 for your LS430" my response would be "HELL NO"... I have been too spoiled by the power, bells and whistles & luxury to drive anything less.

AKHAWAJA made a choice to purchase this ES350 New or Used for a reason. He certainly could have purchased a 2005 LS430 for around the same price (assuming he did some research before purchasing his ES) and should have test driven both before making his choice.