Time To Winterize

Ridgerez

...in shape over the cold months?

Had some brake work to do so I went to Buy Wise (Vauxhall, NJ) for pads and rotors. The rear rotors had cracks in them. Got AC Delco semi metallic pads and rotors for all 4 wheels. With a USPS discount I paid $135.00 total.

While wheels were up I changed the sway bar bushings. See link for directions: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/suspension/daizenswaykit.html

I installed a K&N air filter.

I changed oil and filter. Also emptied 2 quarts of old dirty, stinky, tranny fluid and replaced with new Toyota Type IV TF from dealer. Tranny pan lets out 2 quarts when you drain.

Car's running just fine. :cheers:

Not sure about the quality of the Delco pad and rotors. I just had some Bembro rotors put on the front of my car and they cost about 130.00. Installation at a Toyota dealership ran about another 250, so if you had all four rotors replaced with pads for a total of 135, I'd say you probably need to be arrested as you stole the stuff from them :)

I'm getting some clunking, so I need to do some suspension work as well. I already did the air filter and the trans flush. All I have to do in a month or so is put on my snows.

I know exactly where that Buywise is. I live in PA now, but used to live in Maplewood

...in shape over the cold months?

Had some brake work to do so I went to Buy Wise (Vauxhall, NJ) for pads and rotors. The rear rotors had cracks in them. Got AC Delco semi metallic pads and rotors for all 4 wheels. With a USPS discount I paid $135.00 total.

While wheels were up I changed the sway bar bushings. See link for directions: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/suspension/daizenswaykit.html

I installed a K&N air filter.

I changed oil and filter. Also emptied 2 quarts of old dirty, stinky, tranny fluid and replaced with new Toyota Type IV TF from dealer. Tranny pan lets out 2 quarts when you drain.

Car's running just fine.:cheers:

I just replaced all of the vac. hoses that I could get to. Many were cracked or loose fitting. Interesting thing is after replacing the hoses, my ls dosen't have the slight " bogg " down that it had before when accelerating a "normal" speed after the trans. shifted from 1st to 2nd gear. Also replaced the thermostat and radiator cap. Changed the anti-freeze. And engine oil filter and oil. Cleaned and conditioned the leather. I used for the first time a product called Hide food, got it a the local Lexus dealer, $15 dollars each for the cleaner and conditioner. I think it worked very well. Cleaned the leather nicely and the conditioner went on and wiped off great. Left a faint new leather scent. Seats and steering wheel feel smooth and soft.

I wouldn't use the compressed air from a GM dealership to adjust the tire pressure in my Lexus, let alone use a Delco brake pad.....

Granted, many of us have budget issues...why should that get in the way of our mutual admiration for fine cars.

:chairshot:

• 3 weeks later...

I am in no way trying to become a contrarian or any of the sorts, but I have to say that the AC Delco Oil Filters are some of the best filters there are. The discs in that car are 18 years old, the rear ones need replacing the front ones do not need to be touched yet. I imagine that the ones put in the Lex if used normally should last many years. Please let us know about your experience with them. I will go further to say that if I cannot find a Lexus, Purulator or K & N oilf filter I would intall an AC Delco Oil Filter on my Lexus without any worries. GM parts are usually good in the mechanical department, and if the cars do not have many electrical issues they can last if properly maintained.

In my family we have to GM models, one mine, a Grand Prizx with 145,000 miles no major problems the motor has never been rebuilt, and a Olds 88 my uncle had, thar was junked with 200,000 miles never replaced engine and had a minor tranny rework, mine had the tranny rebuilt once. GM products have some lacking in the electrical parts if the models are complicated like the Cadillac STS, but their premium models, if not electrically challenged, with proper maintenance can go for 10 or so years with the least of problems. My Grand Prix does need a paint job and interior work but the engine is ready to go for some time. I plan for this car to be a second daily driver if I do get a super special weekend/night car. Like a New Lex, or a BMW 7 serires.

CPR