Need Navigation System

hojoasami

I purchased my 07 ES350 without the navigation system, but now I need one. I would like an in dash system and not one of those mobile one's. Can I go to the dealer and get it installed or does anybody have any recommendation on an aftermarket system and where to get it installed? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I purchased my 07 ES350 without the navigation system, but now I need one. I would like an in dash system and not one of those mobile one's. Can I go to the dealer and get it installed or does anybody have any recommendation on an aftermarket system and where to get it installed? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Its not possible to evaluate all features on a new car before buying. I bought a new ES350 last month. The navigation system is very poor. It does not have text-to-speech. You have to press an "agree" button each time you want to use it. The voice activation feature doesn't work well enough to even bother with it. The selection of regions required for inputing destinations is a pain. You can designate different users but it doesn't allow different lists of waypoints for them. The rear view camera works fine. This is the worst GPS system I've seen. You can get a much better unit for under $500. I have an older Megellan 760 GPS which I move between cars. Its much better even though its several years old.

Having looked at several cars in the last month before buying a new ES350, I was very surprised at the various capabilites of the NAV systems. I thought the new voice-activiated Honda was the best by far. On the Toyota Avalon, it is not even voice-activated even though they advertise it. It is not even touch screen. Their Tundra pickup offers a better NAV????? I did not even try the Mercedez system as the car did not meet our desires, but the dealer described it as quirky. The NAV on my 07 VW Touareg also has no voice-activation, but does offer the entry of lat and long points for off-road use. It also has an altimeter, compass screen and a front wheel orientation screen which is nice for geocaching and off-road. The Lexus falls somewhere in the middle.

I considered going the mobile route, but ended up with the NAV. All in all, I am pretty satsified with the set up.

Rick