Who's Paying For The 10,000 Mile Service On '08 Rx350?

Now that my wife's RX is about to turn 10K miles, I called up the dealer to inquire about the service. $275 dollars to change the oil, and just check everything from tire pressure to wiper blades! What a rip-off!!

BTW, just an oil change was $40 so I'll end up getting that and inspect everything myself.

Just wondering if other owners are paying for the astronomically priced services every 5K miles or just doing the oil changes individually? Which next service is a 'must-do' at the dealer?

Thanks!

Now that my wife's RX is about to turn 10K miles, I called up the dealer to inquire about the service. $275 dollars to change the oil, and just check everything from tire pressure to wiper blades! What a rip-off!!

BTW, just an oil change was $40 so I'll end up getting that and inspect everything myself.

Just wondering if other owners are paying for the astronomically priced services every 5K miles or just doing the oil changes individually? Which next service is a 'must-do' at the dealer?

Thanks!

My cars NEVER go back to the dealer for ANY reason. Were a serious, more expensive, warranty repair required I might consider it but mostly I just buy the required parts and do the warranty repair myself.

Thanks!

Your charge was about what I paid for my '07 for the 10K. I just did the 15K, and paid about $250. I am not terribly pleased with my local dealer, they don't give loaners unless the work will be over 2 hours. In Dallas you always get a loaner, regardless of time, if requested. Not so in Palm Beach.

Thanks!

My cars NEVER go back to the dealer for ANY reason. Were a serious, more expensive, warranty repair required I might consider it but mostly I just buy the required parts and do the warranty repair myself.

My dealer said that if you can't find a Lexus dealer nearby when traveling, take it to a Toyota dealer. Well, when traveling near Toronto this summer, it was very apparent that the nearest Lexus dealer was miles away. So I took it to a convenient Toyota dealer and they did the work for a lot less money. (They were reluctant to do a 5-tire rotation, though, because they only see AWD vehicles up there.)

Question: How does one unleash the glove box to get at the cabin filter? Special wrench? I tried prying away at it with a couple of screwdrivers but I was going to break the plastic. The manual makes it look so easy. If I can do that, I'll bypass the Lexus dealer.

Thats about what a 5k service costs.

It all depends on your situation and your priorities. I have no problem paying the dealer for service and getting a nice loaner car, I enjoy the experience. If it doesn't matter to you don't do it, you don't have to have it serviced at the dealer just like you don't have to shop at Nordstrom.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

I just had the oil & filter changed on my 07 RX for $27.95 at the local Toyota dealer. This was th 10k service, but like most everyone else says, I can do the 'checks' myself. Insofar as rotating the tires is concerned, I'll have them rotated every other service, or 10k miles (they were rotated on the freebie 5k Lexus servicing). Rotating at 10k has worked fine on all my other vehicles over the years.

Btw, when the service guy entered my VIN, it automatically filled out the Toyota paperwork saying it was a 07 LS 400. I thought he may have entered it wrong but he didn't. Not sure what to make of that...maybe I've got a half-breed.

• 2 weeks later...

Question: How does one unleash the glove box to get at the cabin filter? Special wrench? I tried prying away at it with a couple of screwdrivers but I was going to break the plastic. The manual makes it look so easy. If I can do that, I'll bypass the Lexus dealer.

I was able to get the glove box pins out by using pliers over a cloth (to prevent scratches). I think I turned them to the end of their rotation and pulled them out to release the door. Good luck!

Wilson