95 Ls 400 Headlights Replacement

Archie

Some people actually do remove the battery and air filter ducts to replace bulbs from the engine compartment.

However, the recommended and much easier method is to remove the entire light assemblies from the front. Once you remove the parking light housings (the corner lights next to the headlights), it should be fairly obvious which bolts and screws hold the headlight assemblies in place. Take care not to alter the aiming screws! If you don't touch the aiming screws, you will likely not have to re-aim the headlights after you reinstall the assembly.

I have not removed the headlights on a 95-97, but removed the headlights numerous times on a gen 1 (90-94) LS400. The process looks the same on my current 2000 LS400 so I am assuming it is about the same on a 95-97.

After I did it a few times (I experimented quite a bit with different bulbs), I could remove a headlight unit, replace a bulb and reinstall it in less than five minutes.

After removing the screw holding the outer parking light in place, you may find that it takes quite a bit of pressure to snap it outward. Be sure to spread the force while grasping the leading edge of the parking light assembly as you pull it outward. The parking light housing and lens can become a little brittle with age and you don't want to crack it!

Good luck!

• 1 year later...
Some people actually do remove the battery and air filter ducts to replace bulbs from the engine compartment.

However, the recommended and much easier method is to remove the entire light assemblies from the front. Once you remove the parking light housings (the corner lights next to the headlights), it should be fairly obvious which bolts and screws hold the headlight assemblies in place. Take care not to alter the aiming screws! If you don't touch the aiming screws, you will likely not have to re-aim the headlights after you reinstall the assembly.

I have not removed the headlights on a 95-97, but removed the headlights numerous times on a gen 1 (90-94) LS400. The process looks the same on my current 2000 LS400 so I am assuming it is about the same on a 95-97.

After I did it a few times (I experimented quite a bit with different bulbs), I could remove a headlight unit, replace a bulb and reinstall it in less than five minutes.

After removing the screw holding the outer parking light in place, you may find that it takes quite a bit of pressure to snap it outward. Be sure to spread the force while grasping the leading edge of the parking light assembly as you pull it outward. The parking light housing and lens can become a little brittle with age and you don't want to crack it!

Good luck!

--------------------------------

Well, 2 years later a belated "thank you". I have replaced basically all the bulbs on my 1994 LS400 but was frustrated with the headlights -- I just couldn't get to the back of the light to take out the assembly. I took a break and came in and surfed the web & LOA for advice. Your reassurance that it was easy took me back out to the car and after just a few minutes of reflection and study it flashed on me what you were saying. I already had the parking light panel out (I've replaced that one several times already) and that had exposed the 2 nuts I had missed and zippo -- I was done in 3 minutes!

She's a great old car and I'm hoping for another 5 years and 50k miles !!

Jim