Ls430 Trans Question

tgcLS430

Hello all, new to this board, just purchased a 2004 LS430 with 24k miles. Great car. I have a question regarding the transmission: when warm it shifts very smoothly, however I notice that when overnight cold it shifts normally for the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, but holds in third gear until a higher speed than it does when warmed up. After it warms up after several miles it shifts very quickly through all gears, usually around 2,000 rpm under moderate throttle pressure. Has anyone else noticed this delayed 3-4 shift when the transmission is cold? Thanks for any info you can provide-

It's normal, it's warming up. The LS400's will hold gears a little higher in the RPM range too until it's warmed up. It's normal on most cars actually, but especially Toyotas. My 05' 4Runner will hold first up to about 2,400 rpm, and considering it's a V8 that spins about 1700 rpm at 60-65mph, it gets your attention a little on those cold mornings. I usually just let the car sit at idle for a minute or two before driving, to let the juices get flowing.

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure your transmission is flushed and the filter is changed. And after the filter is being changed make sure you have the fluid changed every 15,000 miles. You should see and improvement in your shilfting. But as NC said they tend to be that way when cold.

CPR

As others have noted, it is typical for the LS transmission to hold a gear longer until the transmission warms up.

However ... issues with the new-for-2004 6-speed automatic transmission were more common than for any other model year. I suggest you check to see if any major transmission work has been done on your car and monitor it closely while the 6 year, 72,000 mile power train warrenty is in effect. Since your car is very low mileage for its age, if transmission issues might arise after the 6 year power train warrenty expires, you might have to have it fixed on your own dime.

Changing the tranmission fluid every 15,000 miles is overkill although many dealers will want to do it as a revenue enhancer. For the past 17 1/2 years, I have the transmission fluid changed on my Lexus LS cars every 30,000 miles. I think Lexus recommends a longer change interval than 30,000 miles if you are not using the car in a way that requires the severe service schedule.

Taken from the 1998 Lexus Owner's Manual Suplement, (Factory Supplied), Page 70 Numbering in the back of the manual 98-WTY-114 00247-01998

Additional Maintenance Items for "Special Operating Condions"

"Special Operating Conditions"

"Towing, Repeated Short Trips less than 5 milles in temperatures below freezing, Extensive Idling or low-speed drving for long-distances as in heavy commercial use such as delivery , taxi or patrol car.

OPERATING ON ROUGH, MUDDY, OR SALT COVERED ROADS,

Operating on unpaved or dusty roads".

To most of us the last 3 apply because of the below freezing and the traffic jams, winter driving or dusty conditions.

The following proves that the 15,000 tranny fluid changing schedule is not such an idea to get the dealer more of your funds but one to get the best performance of your tranny. My manual does not state a tranny fluid change if you follow the normal driving schedule, it only states to inspect the fluid. But if someone is misguided and does that it is very likely that the owner will have a tranny failure in his or her hands. Changing fluid every 30,000 milles is an aceptable choice, but with a tranny that costs so much money to repair, it is a better policy to have it changed every 15,000 milles or like many in this forum have, they change the 2 quarts every oil change. This option is the most cost effective of all. I had a Mitsubishi Diamante, everyone would say the tranny was the weakest part of the car and that I would have lots of trouble with it. I did change fluid every 15,000 milles and fluid and filter every 30,000, the car had 160,000 milles and that tranny shifted as one in a new car. Tranny repair service is an even more expensive proposition in a Lexus, if not ask the pre-2004 RX SUV owners.

CPR

As others have noted, it is typical for the LS transmission to hold a gear longer until the transmission warms up.

However ... issues with the new-for-2004 6-speed automatic transmission were more common than for any other model year. I suggest you check to see if any major transmission work has been done on your car and monitor it closely while the 6 year, 72,000 mile power train warrenty is in effect. Since your car is very low mileage for its age, if transmission issues might arise after the 6 year power train warrenty expires, you might have to have it fixed on your own dime.

Changing the tranmission fluid every 15,000 miles is overkill although many dealers will want to do it as a revenue enhancer. For the past 17 1/2 years, I have the transmission fluid changed on my Lexus LS cars every 30,000 miles. I think Lexus recommends a longer change interval than 30,000 miles if you are not using the car in a way that requires the severe service schedule.