Question A/b Shocks

lexuschik

This may be a dumb question, but being that Lexus is made by toyota, are we limited to only parts made FOR Lexus? For example, I need new shocks and wondered if anyone had heard of being able to use shocks from a Camry or Solara or something. I have a hard time believing there are only like 3 kinds of shocks for my 2000 gs300 and at like $100 apiece when my fiance can find 10 different kinds for his 2006 Ford for as little as $30. :huh:

Well, yes and no.

Your fiances Ford uses a pneumatic shock to dampen a full coil spring suspension. ( If you look at them, you'll see a huge coil with a shock that is attached inside the spring to the axle and frame. Your GS uses a nitrogen charged fluid hydrolic coilover design. Much more complex design and significantly better control and ride. That's why your Lexus doesn't ride like a Ford.

And those $30 shocks for the Ford are not even worth the time and energy to put on. Even Fords and such, if you want any ride quality at all, your gonna spend in the $60 and up range per shock.

So there is no retrofitting for shocks for my car? Oh yeah , the Ford is a truck maybe thats why there are so many different parts for it. I don't care about having some supersports car suspension just because I have a car that says Lexus on it. I just want new shocks cheap so when I hit a small bump in the highway, my car doesn't float up and down like a '72 Lincoln. I have 85,000 miles and the ride is starting to feel bouncy.

Hard to believe this is one of my only options: but if it is , OK....

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

If you go thru Ebay, go to the car parts.com store and they have the same KYB shocks for 64 bucks each. Just go to ebay and look up by your car model. the search engine should find them for you.