My Transmission Woes Continue...

JasonG

In a nut shell:

1) Trans was acting up.

2) Trans Shop said it was bad

3) Trans Shop replaced trans.

4) Trans still misbehaved (hard shifting, no overdrive)

5) Trans Shop did something more.

6) Trans still acting up.

7) Found this forum! Yeah!!!!

8) Replaced Knock sensors and wiring.

9) Overdrive returned! Yeah!

10) Hard shifting is gone for 5 miles.

11) Hard shifting is now diagnosed as slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear while in Drive.

12) Asked dealer to reset computer, specifically those items related to the transmission.

13) Dealer said just remove battery for 25 minutes, then re-install and drive for 25 minutes.

14) Trans still slips from 2nd to 3rd.

15) Trans DOES NOT slip if I *manually* shift from 2nd to 3rd.

What now?

I might also add that I say "slipping" because the engine revs and there is a short loss of forward thrust when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Then it grabs and lurches forward. The amount of engine rev is directly related to how much throttle you give it. If you are driving along very nice, the rev is about 500rpms if you are racing to the next light, the rev is about 800rpms.

Any help would be most graciously appreciated.

Jason.

If it is still acting up then the tranny shop did a bad job, if there is a warranty make them fix it. I had Lexus install a tranny and the first one was bad. Took 5 visits, but they finally replaced it again...problem fixed. Also you said tranny shop did they use Toyota Type IV fluid? If not Amsoil? No other fluid is proper....

I had the exact same problem where my transmission would slip between 2nd and 3rd and sometimes not go into overdrive. I took it to a transmission shop and they diagnosed it as a bad speed sensor. It wasn't the one in the transmission, but the one that was related to the gear shifter. Anyway, it cost me about $230 total. If you need the exact part, I can call the shop and get the info for you.

You bought a new transmission from a shop and it isn't workig right?

Keep take it back until they fix it. If they are indeed a transmission shop of any repute, they will fix it. Otherwise, ask for your money back so you can take it elsewhere.

• 5 weeks later...

Me again... reference Post #1 for the history...

Well, they had it for three weeks and called me today to come and get it. I went and took it for a drive before I talked to them. Same problem. I spoke with the owner, has said he couldn't beleive it was still doing it, (slipping between 2nd and 3rd, but only in automatic, not manual shifting), he said he had two techs drive it before he called me.

So, he took it for a ride with me, he drove, he said it is still not shifting right.

He says he thinks there is too much pressure on the lines, that would make it behave this way.

He kept it, says they will address it tomorrow.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Too much pressure in the line only affecting shifts from 2nd to 3rd?

He also said the backlight on the "D" in the PRNDL went out while he was looking at it, he says the shifting issue could be related to the PRNDL.

I'm desperate for some help here..... any ideas?

Jason,

The issue has NOTHING to do twith the D in the PRNDL display......your shop does not have a clue......that is nothing but a light behind the display going out...mine has been out for two years now. As far as the shift, could be faulty clutch plates, low pressure in the lines form the pump, speed sensor, etc. Wish i could tell you more, but I would have to drive it to tell you a better hypothisis.

Jason,

The issue has NOTHING to do twith the D in the PRNDL display......your shop does not have a clue......

Thanks, I didn't think so, but I do see that the actual shifter and PRNDL display are only electronically connected, so anything is possible.

Tranny shops can screw up, lexus had to replace my transmission twice, because the replacement would not alway go into gear when you hit the gas. Took 6 weeks of haggling with Lexus of Roseville before they conceded and put in the next tranny which has worked fine. Good luck my friend.

I had the same shifting problem and the check engine light would come on. Code read speed sensor. Replaced the speed sensor on transmission and it did not fix the problem. I took it to a really good transmission shop and they also diagnosed the problem as a bad speed sensor. Code P1730. They tested all the speed sensors and found that the counter gear speed sensor was faulty. Replaced sensor and the car shifts fine now.

I'm wondering now how many transmissions have been needlessly replaced due to a faulty sensor???

• 2 years later...

There are two speed sensors. Some have swapped them and the symptons changed. They are located on the top of tranny under the air box area.

here is a thread on the other site that shows pictures of the sensors:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...=speed+sensors