Question On What The Nav Update Does

I am considering a purchase of a 2003 - 2005 GS430, and looking into updating the nav system with the latest gen once I have the car. My question is, what exactly changes when you update the nav? Is it just the map itself, or do you end up with a different interface and possibly different capabilities? I read that the 2005 version added some functionality, such as bluetooth and the camera option. Would I find more options with an upgraded 2003 model or an upgraded 2005 model? Forgive me, I forget which Gen each of those is (4 and 5 i think).

MUCH appreciated. Been reading posts all night - great board.

• 3 weeks later...

I am considering a purchase of a 2003 - 2005 GS430, and looking into updating the nav system with the latest gen once I have the car. My question is, what exactly changes when you update the nav? Is it just the map itself, or do you end up with a different interface and possibly different capabilities? I read that the 2005 version added some functionality, such as bluetooth and the camera option. Would I find more options with an upgraded 2003 model or an upgraded 2005 model? Forgive me, I forget which Gen each of those is (4 and 5 i think).

MUCH appreciated. Been reading posts all night - great board.

The DVD map updates only improve the map database. There are no visible changes to the operating system that affect the user interface.