'99 Es 300 Failed Emissions

nswan

Hey all. My '99 es300 failed California emissions test with the following results:

%CO2 %O2 HC CO% NO(PPM)

15mph 15.2 0 91 1.07 12

25mph 15.3 0 117 1.43 28

I had it looked at by the dealer and they wanted $2000 to replace the catalytic converter and pcv valve.

I then brought it to another mechanic and he doesn't think it could be the converter b/c of the sensor ratings before and after the converter. He has guessed that the fuel mixture sensors are bad and need to be replaced. Any ideas??

How many miles on it and did you get the car warmed up to normal before the test? My 99RX just passed with flying colors. I would make sure the oil is new, clean the MAF sensor, and other than that maybe the O2 sensors are bad...

Excessive HC results from ignition misfire or misfire do to excessively lean or rich air /fuel mixtures

excessive CO results from rich air/fuel mixtures

excessive NOx results from excessive combustion temperatures

I would replace the pcv valve (probably less than $8)

Have the MAF sensor cleaned

Put a fuel cleaner like Techron in the tank and see if it cleans the injectors.

clean the IACV (position sensor)

All of this is on this site (info)

Mine were CO2 15.0 at idle 14.8 at 2500 rpm

HC 18 17

CO .01 .00

The bank 1 and 2 oxygen sensors would be last...

Hey all. My '99 es300 failed California emissions test with the following results:

%CO2 %O2 HC CO% NO(PPM)

15mph 15.2 0 91 1.07 12

25mph 15.3 0 117 1.43 28

I had it looked at by the dealer and they wanted $2000 to replace the catalytic converter and pcv valve.

I then brought it to another mechanic and he doesn't think it could be the converter b/c of the sensor ratings before and after the converter. He has guessed that the fuel mixture sensors are bad and need to be replaced. Any ideas??

I should also mention that the engine light is NOT on and there are no codes in the computer