Adding Radio Buttons To Steering Wheel

LexKid630

Is it possible to add the radio volume/seek controls to the steering wheels of the rx300? The 01-05 Gs430's have the same wheel as the rx300, they just have that black "controller" at 7 o'clock. Would it be possible to add this controler on the rx300 wheels and have them work?

If you were to take the airbag off of the rx300 steering wheel, you would notice the wires just "hanging" that would go to the radio controls. Therefore, i know there are wires running from the steering wheel to the inside column. i'm sure it wouldn't be a problem attaching it to the wheel, i just don't know how one could rig it to work with the radio switches.

I'm only not 100% sure because of the nature of the radio volume switch on the rx300. It doesn't work by pressing a button for volume up or down; you must rotate that knob. On the radio controller for the wheel, you press a button for up and down. Meaning, it wouldn't be as simple as soldering the wires.

If anyone has any ideas, please share!

post-13420-1193929743_thumb.jpg

I don't know if this makes any difference but I've noticed from renting a number of cars that the radio volume control knobs on all cars with steering wheel volume controls rotate continuously rather than rotating within a limited range.

Can you rotate your radio volume control knob continuously or does it have a fixed low and high point?

I don't know if this makes any difference but I've noticed from renting a number of cars that the radio volume control knobs on all cars with steering wheel volume controls rotate continuously rather than rotating within a limited range.

Can you rotate your radio volume control knob continuously or does it have a fixed low and high point?

Ah that's the problem; it's fixed. For example if i had the volume on the console fixed at 1/2 way, and turned the volume up on the wheel to MAX, the knob on the console would still be half way. They would need to work together...

I wouldn't have a problem with tune/seek buttons for they're just "buttons", not a knob. It would be a direct solder.

I could always take the radio apart and make my own rotary switch for the radio?