Sitting At The Red Light

Sunday

it all started Sunday nite. me and my girlfriend ( the lexus is for her ) were driving down the hwy. we pulled up to the red light and we were talking, when she looked down at her gauges and realized that the car had shut off unexpectedly. we tried to start it again, but when the car turned over it would start but immediately shut off. so we tried again and again but still the same result. so i asked here to hold her foot on the gas pedal and start it, and it worked. so she sat there and revved the engine a bit, but as soon as she tried to shift into drive the car shut off again. at this point i was threw! she was losing it and i was getting upset too. after pushing the car to the nearest gas station we filled the gas tank up with fuel thinking that was the issue. we were wrong. i managed to drive the car home by holding the gas pedal and starting the car. i would hold the brake shift to drive all the while revving the engine. that was the only way we were gonna make it home.

Monday

monday after work i talked my boss into letting leave a bit early so i could take a look at the car. after some troubleshooting ( i'm a ok troubleshooter thats why i'm here) i came to the assumption that the fuel filter was clogged. so later i went to the nearest auto part store and bought everything i needed. when i got home i started to change the filter. after the sun went down i couldnt finish so i packed it in and was gonna finish on tuesday.

Tuesday

i was able to almost finsh the remove and replacement of the filter, but once again ran out of sun light so i would finish wednesday.

Wednesday

at last, i finished with the fuel filter and went to start the car up to test it out. after trying to start the car a couple times with no success i was done with it. i came inside signed up for this forum and now i'm postiing this message.

Can u guys and gals plz help i'm all out of ideas and the misses needs her car for work. thanx in advance

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I do my own work too, and I am a decent trouble-shooter. However, sometimes you just have to take the car in. Take it to a carx or something where they diagnose it for free. I do that when I just cant figure it out. I wish you good luck on your beautiful car.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I do my own work too, and I am a decent trouble-shooter. However, sometimes you just have to take the car in. Take it to a carx or something where they diagnose it for free. I do that when I just cant figure it out. I wish you good luck on your beautiful car.

My friend, It sounds like the old familiar problem of the IAC valve. Find the thread in this forum about cleaning the IAC valve and you should be home free. It is a very simple procedure if you follow the instruction. Many on the forum has fixed this problem by cleaning this valve. If you can't find it, I will look for it for you. One of the members here wrote a detailed procedure for this problem. I will take a quick look see to find it.

My friend, It sounds like the old familiar problem of the IAC valve. Find the thread in this forum about cleaning the IAC valve and you should be home free. It is a very simple procedure if you follow the instruction. Many on the forum has fixed this problem by cleaning this valve. If you can't find it, I will look for it for you. One of the members here wrote a detailed procedure for this problem. I will take a quick look see to find it.

Just looked for the thread. It is the tread posted by GoldenStateSilverSport step by step instruction for IACvlave. Last posting yesterday.

Good luck and I know you will have it. This fix cures 99% of the type of problem you are haveing.

• 2 weeks later...
can u guys link me to the IAC valve cleaning thread

Did you find the problem? If IAC fix didn't help, how about the air intake hose...cracked at the gasket and seals under certain positions of the engine but opens with movement. Car is dead when the seal is broken.

Hope you are back on the road.