Reset Security

dwilder

I have a 2000 LS 400 which starting to exhibit starter problems. The battery is brand new and has been tested. Car worked fine until a few weeks ago. The car would not start. Turning the key resulted in very loud clicks coming from the back of the engine (location of the starter). I turned the headlights on and again tried to start the car. Same clicks and no decrease in the intesity of the lights, ergo probably not the battery (confirmed with testing).

I had AAA tow the car to a mechanic. He called me the next day and said the car was fine? I got a ride over and sure enough the car started right up. It worked fine for two days, no problem. Sunday AM I jump in the car and no start.

I talked to a friend and he mentioned that the security system in the car may not be allowing the starter to engage. I did notice that when I picked the car up from the mechanic all the radio stations had be reset. Accordingly I think there may be something to my friends suggestion. I tried removing the ground cable from the battery for a while. After reconnecting I hit my security key to lock and unlock. The door worked fine, got in the car and still no start.

Any recommendations? How can I reset the security in the car?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 2000 LS 400 which starting to exhibit starter problems. The battery is brand new and has been tested. Car worked fine until a few weeks ago. The car would not start. Turning the key resulted in very loud clicks coming from the back of the engine (location of the starter). I turned the headlights on and again tried to start the car. Same clicks and no decrease in the intesity of the lights, ergo probably not the battery (confirmed with testing).

I had AAA tow the car to a mechanic. He called me the next day and said the car was fine? I got a ride over and sure enough the car started right up. It worked fine for two days, no problem. Sunday AM I jump in the car and no start.

I talked to a friend and he mentioned that the security system in the car may not be allowing the starter to engage. I did notice that when I picked the car up from the mechanic all the radio stations had be reset. Accordingly I think there may be something to my friends suggestion. I tried removing the ground cable from the battery for a while. After reconnecting I hit my security key to lock and unlock. The door worked fine, got in the car and still no start.

Thanks

Thanks

Are you sure its the security system? it could be your starter going out, I just had my starter changed couple of month ago, one day my car wouldn't start, just heard it go click, but couple of minutes later, it started up for me. mechanic friend told me the starter maybe going out. finally had it replaced by dealership, car was under warranty. I also have 2000 LS400