Tire Life On Is 250 Awd?

Very close on pulling the trigger on a new 250 AWD for my wife. I have owned a couple of Audi A6's now and the 2002 model I had would go through a set of tires about every 25,000 miles. It wouldn't wear them out, but the tires would seem to go out of round and/or break the belting inside the carcass and shake bad. You would have no choice but to change out to another set. I put 114,000 miles on that vehicle and had many brands of tires on there. The 2005 I have has a V8 with 335 HP. It has 17,000 miles on the tires now and looking like they may go to 35,000 miles if I can keep the shakes away. Maybe ContiProContacts will be better, I don't know. Audi Quattro cars seem to be hard on tires. Wonder if the Lexus will do the same? Also wonder how the Lexus will stack up in terms of traction against the Audi. I seem to read people reporting the Audi is better, but I have not seen an explanation as to why. How are you all liking the AWD Lexus?

Thank you! Mike

We had to change our stock tires at about 30K miles. Low profile makes damage to the wheel easier, just find a place that will fix the wheels, they re-round them somehow. Our cost about $200 for all 4 wheels + Tires.

You can damage your rims just from normal driving??

We had to change our stock tires at about 30K miles. Low profile makes damage to the wheel easier, just find a place that will fix the wheels, they re-round them somehow. Our cost about $200 for all 4 wheels + Tires.

You can damage them if you hit something.

Also,Tex2670, where did you find four tires for $200, or did I misinterpret what you said in your post?

Also,Tex2670, where did you find four tires for $200, or did I misinterpret what you said in your post?

That was me that said that, and I meant it was $200 to re-shape all 4 wheels, and yes you can damage them from normal driving in the Northeast at least, pothole city up this way.

Even the guys on the Audi forums complain about the horrible, potholed roads in the northeast. 30,000 is not too bad for the stock tires as I think they are a fairly soft compound. How about the performance of the Lexus AWD system and thoughts of your IS 250 AWD vehicle overall? Any regrets, thoughts? We negotiated a price of $4000 off the $41,000 MSRP at the local dealer for a navi, prem., and luxury package vehicle. Have not signed the deal yet. Wife also likes the new 2008 Honda Accord, and being a social worker she is have a hard time thinking of being seen driving in a Lexus, even though we know it is the ideal car for her with all its features.

Even the guys on the Audi forums complain about the horrible, potholed roads in the northeast. 30,000 is not too bad for the stock tires as I think they are a fairly soft compound. How about the performance of the Lexus AWD system and thoughts of your IS 250 AWD vehicle overall? Any regrets, thoughts? We negotiated a price of $4000 off the $41,000 MSRP at the local dealer for a navi, prem., and luxury package vehicle. Have not signed the deal yet. Wife also likes the new 2008 Honda Accord, and being a social worker she is have a hard time thinking of being seen driving in a Lexus, even though we know it is the ideal car for her with all its features.

Overall we love the car, the AWD works great and as long as it isn't over a foot, the car is great in snow. No regrets, love the car!

That was me that said that, and I meant it was $200 to re-shape all 4 wheels, and yes you can damage them from normal driving in the Northeast at least, pothole city up this way.

So it's a road anomoly that can damage the rims--not just driving itself. But with lower profile tires, potlholes are more likely to hurt your rims--that's what you mean, right?

That's a pretty good deal--may get a little better if you wait for December. You may want to grill them on the Lux Pkg--I got mine in the spring, and it was hard to find them with that. Unless I got black, white or silver, it was going to be a special order--I settled with the silver, which, with Sterling interior, still took the dealer a month to locate.

I once owned an A4 w/ Quattro. I compared it very thouroughly with my friends IS250 AWd when i had the Audi (which i have since sold and bought a lex)....and, besides the systems being mechanically different (lexus as well as most other AWD systems are Haldex based) in pretty much every real world test Quattro is the champion, hands down. As a matter of fact, if you like i can send you some links of professional comparison tests that pit Quattro vs. various other car makers AWD systems. I live in seattle, so i dont need such a bad !Removed! awd system like the Quattro, thats why i know have a lexus (purchased for various other reasons than the all wheel drive).

I would never hesitate to go up to the mountains in any conditions in the winter w/ my old Audi A4, however, now, I take my girlfriends CRV because in my personal experience it performs much better than the lexus which i took up twice and it has taught me a lesson to never take it up again. However, for mild inclement weather and rain it performes beautifully.

Thanks for the feedback all. I'm not so sure what to do. Having second thoughts. The new 2008 Honda Accords now seem to be selling around invoice pricing. I know they are not in the same class as the Lexus however. Hard to justify spending $10,000 more on a car that runs premium fuel and has less power. Also looking at the Nissan's and Audi's. The Lexus has all the features we are looking for. AWD, push button start, bluetooth and navigation are the features we are wanting. Also require a high fuel efficiency rating. I thought the Audi A4 2.0t would fit the bill perfectly, but that engine vibrates worse than my John Deere lawnmower, and the v6 in the A4 has an appetite for fuel.

Thanks for the feedback all. I'm not so sure what to do. Having second thoughts. The new 2008 Honda Accords now seem to be selling around invoice pricing. I know they are not in the same class as the Lexus however. Hard to justify spending $10,000 more on a car that runs premium fuel and has less power. Also looking at the Nissan's and Audi's. The Lexus has all the features we are looking for. AWD, push button start, bluetooth and navigation are the features we are wanting. Also require a high fuel efficiency rating. I thought the Audi A4 2.0t would fit the bill perfectly, but that engine vibrates worse than my John Deere lawnmower, and the v6 in the A4 has an appetite for fuel.

Subaru Legacy GT.

Subaru does not have one model with bluetooth! They also seem to have an appetite for fuel. Drove a V6 Toyota Camry today as it comes with 268 HP and everything but AWD. It also does not require premium fuel. The SE is a better choice but does not have the pushbutton start option. The Lexus is looking pretty good at this point. Its only drawbacks to me are power deficit with the low performance engine that needs the premium fuel. It is a very nice smooth V6 however. Just don't see why the engineers put the high compression at it requiring premium. Also lack of split folding rear seat like the Audi A4's. I think its coming down to the Lexus or the 2008 Honda Accord EX/L with navigation. They all have their features and no one particular model is the perfect fit for us. Wish I could put all the things I wanted in a car from all the different models and build that one perfect vehicle. The new 2009 Audi A4 might fit the bill, but we can't wait that long. Really like the style/comfort of the IS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subaru does not have one model with bluetooth! They also seem to have an appetite for fuel. Drove a V6 Toyota Camry today as it comes with 268 HP and everything but AWD. It also does not require premium fuel. The SE is a better choice but does not have the pushbutton start option. The Lexus is looking pretty good at this point. Its only drawbacks to me are power deficit with the low performance engine that needs the premium fuel. It is a very nice smooth V6 however. Just don't see why the engineers put the high compression at it requiring premium. Also lack of split folding rear seat like the Audi A4's. I think its coming down to the Lexus or the 2008 Honda Accord EX/L with navigation. They all have their features and no one particular model is the perfect fit for us. Wish I could put all the things I wanted in a car from all the different models and build that one perfect vehicle. The new 2009 Audi A4 might fit the bill, but we can't wait that long. Really like the style/comfort of the IS!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are going to drop $40K for a car, I can't imagine buying 91 octane is really a deal killer--you're talking about $100-$150 dollars per year. Of course, using regular octane won't hurt the engine--it just won't perform to its optimum levels. If power's an issue, the G35x has 100hp more than the IS250, and most of the features Lexus offers (but not vented seats)

Doesn't the ES (Lexus Camry) come with AWD? I thought the ES pricing was similar to the IS, but could be mistaken. I don't particularly care for the lines on it, but it may be a good mix of the larger car (Accord) and the AWD (IS). I'm not sure if it has the push-button start you've mentioned a few times...But at least it will have the bluetooth! :)

And to follow up with what Tex2670 said: Almost every time I'm at the pump I think about how I could save $0.20 a gallon if I put the regular octane in...but I realize that its only about $2.00 a fill up. I guess it could matter if you use copious amounts of fuel.

Good luck with your decision.

Doesn't the ES (Lexus Camry) come with AWD? I thought the ES pricing was similar to the IS, but could be mistaken. I don't particularly care for the lines on it, but it may be a good mix of the larger car (Accord) and the AWD (IS). I'm not sure if it has the push-button start you've mentioned a few times...But at least it will have the bluetooth! :)

And to follow up with what Tex2670 said: Almost every time I'm at the pump I think about how I could save $0.20 a gallon if I put the regular octane in...but I realize that its only about $2.00 a fill up. I guess it could matter if you use copious amounts of fuel.

Good luck with your decision.

The ES does not have AWD--its FWD only. It's based on the Camry/Avalon platform. The ES, like the Avalon Limited, has Smart Key.

The Camry SE is their sport edition, not available with push button start. Only the XLE and hybrid has push button start. The SE is fairly sporty. I read the consumer reports on Edmunds and this person is talking about the windshield being thin and easy to break on the Camry, well guess what? On the test drive with the salesman in the car, a pebble comes up and cracks the windshield. It was just a small pebble too! That is one thing about my Audi’s; they have some awful tough windshields in them. I have been hit by huge stones and they take a beating like no other. I think I'll stay away from the Toyota. It’s coming down to the 2008 Honda Accord or the 2008 Lexus IS250 AWD. As far as fuel usage, the wife drives 30-35,000 miles per year. Now if she was to get a 24 MPG average that is 1250 gallons of fuel per year, a .20 cent fuel premium is $250 per year x5 years, which are not peanuts at $1250 just for premium fuel. On the same token a 2 MPG average savings in fuel use would be $300 per year a $3.10 per gallon, more if it goes to $4.00 by this spring. That makes the four cylinder Accord look very appealing at 190 HP that uses regular gas and returns 21/31 EPA standard compared to the Lexus AWD at 20/26 and premium fuel. Not to mention it can be bought for $11,000 less initially. I would like to know if you can dial numbers by voice command with Bluetooth into your phone on the go with the Lexus. Also, if you can input an address into navigation using voice commands? I know they can not be typed in on the go. Thanks for thr help all!!!!

The Camry SE is their sport edition, not available with push button start. Only the XLE and hybrid has push button start. The SE is fairly sporty. I read the consumer reports on Edmunds and this person is talking about the windshield being thin and easy to break on the Camry, well guess what? On the test drive with the salesman in the car, a pebble comes up and cracks the windshield. It was just a small pebble too! That is one thing about my Audi’s; they have some awful tough windshields in them. I have been hit by huge stones and they take a beating like no other. I think I'll stay away from the Toyota. It’s coming down to the 2008 Honda Accord or the 2008 Lexus IS250 AWD. As far as fuel usage, the wife drives 30-35,000 miles per year. Now if she was to get a 24 MPG average that is 1250 gallons of fuel per year, a .20 cent fuel premium is $250 per year x5 years, which are not peanuts at $1250 just for premium fuel. On the same token a 2 MPG average savings in fuel use would be $300 per year a $3.10 per gallon, more if it goes to $4.00 by this spring. That makes the four cylinder Accord look very appealing at 190 HP that uses regular gas and returns 21/31 EPA standard compared to the Lexus AWD at 20/26 and premium fuel. Not to mention it can be bought for $11,000 less initially. I would like to know if you can dial numbers by voice command with Bluetooth into your phone on the go with the Lexus. Also, if you can input an address into navigation using voice commands? I know they can not be typed in on the go. Thanks for thr help all!!!!

Buy a Honda.

Dont forget about Honda and its EPA milage estimates....they are pretty exagerated. My girlfriend had an 06 civic EX for literally about 4 months, and here is why. It had an estimated 25 city and 36 freeway I believe, in 3 months and about 4,000 miles (long commute to and from work, but mostly highway none the less) she average a whopping 24-25 mpg on mostly highway miles. YES A CIVIC. she sold that *BLEEP* caus she was so *BLEEP*ed at the mpg. So while i can appreciate your little mathmatical breakdown above you may be in for a suprise.

You can't realistically compare the Accord 4 cylinder with the Lexus IS. If this is going to nag at you, get the Honda.

I owned an IS300 and had to replace the factory tires at around 15k miles. I think they may have run down prematurely due to a wheel issue that I didn't notice. I'm now on an IS250 but no idea how long it will be. I do agree that if you are concerned as to how soon you will be replacing your tires or 91 fuel instead of 89 perhaps your issue is base cost and you should consider a different car. Honestly the G35 isn't a bad car at all. By the way, perhaps many of the members here would shoot me, but I use 89 octane fuel in my IS250 (and 89 in my old IS300) most of the time and aside from slightl diminished ability to 'floor it' and accelerate rapidly I notice no difference.

I like Lexus quality and design and at the time I purchased there were no compelling options in the range that I liked (I did not trust Acura and Ininiti was about to redesign the G35)

You should start calculating premium at 30 cents over regular which is the route most stations are following and will soon be the standard!

If you are comparing an IS250 to a 4 cyl Accord then you are just looking for transportation, as both cars are drastically different, and if that is the case, the Accord is the logical choice.

Other new choices are the Altima and the Malibu.

Thanks guys for all the comments. I understand that the Honda and Lexus are apples for oranges. Not in the same league whatsoever. I guess the reason for me asking and trying to learn about the Lexus, is that it is the car I would like her to have. I know she would also love to have the Lexus. She is a Social Worker in a small community, and is having a hard time with driving a Lexus in town. That is why we are looking at the Honda. Also tried the Altima and Toyota. The Malibu is out, it does not even feature heated leather seats!!! The Lexus has ALL the features we are looking for. I wonder if it can be re-baged? It is a Toyota in Japan. Anyone de-baged one yet? By the way, she drives a 05 Accord now with a 4 cyl and will get 25-30 MPG average, and she is not to easy on it! Just trying to make her feel its OK to get the Honda as she feels like she can't be driving the Lexus around. What to do, what to do?

Get the car she wants. IS are compact cars. Nobody looks at the emblem. Nobody around her pays attention to mine except the ricers looking enviously.

When I took it in to Bill's Quick Oil change the first time, the dude says, "when will this one be paid for"? (I had a 02 IS300 before). I told him I paid cash for it cause I'm retired and can't afford to make payments. :lol: :lol: