Afs Or Not?

Hi Folks,

Newbie here but also the proud owner of a 2007 IS 250 AWD. I bought the car used with 11K and although just picked up last Friday, enjoying it very much so far.

I've driven the last couple days with the AFS on (dark here in NE in early morning) and find it somewhat distracting. On back roads having the lights darting back and forth just feels odd. It certainly sounded like a great feature but now I'm not so sure. Anyone else have this issue or do you get used to it after a while?

Thanks in advance,

DC

PS: waxed/sealed my new baby with Meguire's NXT on Sunday....saw the info here and on the detailing forum....the car looks great...nice product. I still probably need my head examined for buying a black car! :wacko:

I think the AFS is great on country roads at night, and really don't notice them too much. When I do notice them is in town when turning street corners, but it really doesn't bother me.

BTW - Congratulations on your 07 IS AWD - same year and model as mine, although I got Smoky Granite.

Black is a beautiful color, but it will take a little more effort to keep her looking great. There is a lot of great advice on the detailing forum. My advice - buy a good supply of microfibre towels and some quick detail spray, so you can wipe her down often, between washes.

:cheers:

I think the AFS is great on country roads at night, and really don't notice them too much. When I do notice them is in town when turning street corners, but it really doesn't bother me.

BTW - Congratulations on your 07 IS AWD - same year and model as mine, although I got Smoky Granite.

Black is a beautiful color, but it will take a little more effort to keep her looking great. There is a lot of great advice on the detailing forum. My advice - buy a good supply of microfibre towels and some quick detail spray, so you can wipe her down often, between washes.

I think the major issue with the headlights is the factory aiming of the low beams. The stock settings are very low and it doesn’t show much of the road ahead. I assume that this is a conservative aiming so as not to blind oncoming traffic but I still find it poor.

I asked my dealer to check it out and they said it was normal. So I adjusted the driver’s side HID up a little and it made a big improvement. I would like to go through and perform the factory settings and try to optimize the aiming but I just don't have the time right now.

Many people have adjusted the HID headlight what to high without regard for other drivers. I have seen this on all types of vehicles. I am hoping to optimize the aiming and still keep from glaring oncoming traffic.

Thanks for the congrats! The Smoky is very nice...might have got that if I was ordering...but when buying used you don't have a lot of choice. Black is gorgeous but as you said...I may need gallons of detailer and a lot of patience. Bought a big wad of microfibers...looks like I'll need all of them...

Thanks to all who replied to my question. I think I'll leave the AFS off...must admit though I don't like the warning light on the dash that reminds you it's off.

Also agree with the short distance on the HID's I may need to boost them up a bit...too much on/off with the high beams...

The brake dust has reared its dusty head also....know about the TSB thanks to this forum...just need to decide when to take advantage of it...maybe in the Spring....

I think the major issue with the headlights is the factory aiming of the low beams. The stock settings are very low and it doesn’t show much of the road ahead. I assume that this is a conservative aiming so as not to blind oncoming traffic but I still find it poor.

I asked my dealer to check it out and they said it was normal. So I adjusted the driver’s side HID up a little and it made a big improvement. I would like to go through and perform the factory settings and try to optimize the aiming but I just don't have the time right now.

Many people have adjusted the HID headlight what to high without regard for other drivers. I have seen this on all types of vehicles. I am hoping to optimize the aiming and still keep from glaring oncoming traffic.

I'm also having trouble with the factory aiming. Could you please tell me how you adjusted it to raise the beam? I have the owner's manual, but it doesn't specifically explain raising or lowering the beam. I have a general idea, but wish to know more before I start turning the bolts.