Replacement Of The Instrument Cluster

shar94603

Hello out there! I am a newbie! Here is my situation...

I have a 1995 SC400 with about 140K miles. My instrument panel is completely out on the left side. My tachometer pin is completely out as will another pin soon as it is flickering. I take my car to the dealership for any and all types of services. I am not mechanically inclined! Is there some other alternative than the dealership to have this cluster replaced. The dealership is quoting me at 1220.00 :cries: .

Thanks

You can buy a cluster at any import junk yard or on Ebay...Just keep in mind what cluster you get will show the miles that were on the car the cluster came from... Also ask for a test or test picture to make sure the needles on the new cluster illuminate properly...

It's very easy to replace...

Step 1) remove the plastic screw cover on the inside top of the cluster near the top of the lense cover..You will see two phillips screws underneathe those cover plates... Remove...

Step 2) Pop out the plastic molding piece inbetween the steering wheel base and the cluster...It pops right out with force...

Step 3) Remove the black molding cover in Step 2 and disconnect the plug in wire leads...Very simple

Step 4) remove the two screws on each side of the cluster with a long phillips screw driver... You will see the two screw heads when the moulding cover is removed...

Step 5) Slide out the cluster and unplug the 4 wire connections on the back of the cluster..

Step 6) Plug in the new cluster and screw everything back together and that's it...

The new cluster will light up....

• 3 weeks later...
You can buy a cluster at any import junk yard or on Ebay...Just keep in mind what cluster you get will show the miles that were on the car the cluster came from... Also ask for a test or test picture to make sure the needles on the new cluster illuminate properly...

Step 1) remove the plastic screw cover on the inside top of the cluster near the top of the lense cover..You will see two phillips screws underneathe those cover plates... Remove...

Step 2) Pop out the plastic molding piece inbetween the steering wheel base and the cluster...It pops right out with force...

Step 3) Remove the black molding cover in Step 2 and disconnect the plug in wire leads...Very simple

Step 4) remove the two screws on each side of the cluster with a long phillips screw driver... You will see the two screw heads when the moulding cover is removed...

Step 5) Slide out the cluster and unplug the 4 wire connections on the back of the cluster..

Step 6) Plug in the new cluster and screw everything back together and that's it...

You can also find many clusters for sale at car-parts.com from about 250 to 450 ..

Disconnect the battery before you begin the cluster removal. If you don't you will have to reset the airbag fault light which is a PITA.

There is a guy I've used in the past and he's contact info is pinned in either the SC or LS Forums. Run a search for Jim Walker. He usually charges a good some depending on what needs to be replaced. He changed my LED Backlights and one of my needles for my LS; he charged me around 750(500 for the needle and Speedometre) and the bulbs.

Definitely disconnect the battery. My Airbag light came on as well.

I have the same problem, the ecu is fried and I still can't find one that's a good price. My mechanic said not to even take out the ecu because it's such a hassle. Just get some strong tape and tape the new ecu over the old one.

? your ECU is fried? <_<

• 2 months later...
I have the same problem, the ecu is fried and I still can't find one that's a good price. My mechanic said not to even take out the ecu because it's such a hassle. Just get some strong tape and tape the new ecu over the old one.

? your ECU is fried? <_<

sorry, wrong forum

I have a 1995 SC400 with about 140K miles. My instrument panel is completely out on the left side. My tachometer pin is completely out as will another pin soon as it is flickering. I take my car to the dealership for any and all types of services. I am not mechanically inclined! Is there some other alternative than the dealership to have this cluster replaced. The dealership is quoting me at 1220.00 :cries: .

Thanks

http://www.lextech.org/osCommerce/

Thanks

I would definitely unhook the battery first... Bad things like air bags could happen.

Wait Jim Walker charged you $750.00 to fix the needle lights!!!

I think lextech was charging $100. plus shipping. But I think some people had bad experience with them.

Like the lights would work a couple of days and go out again.

But it's starting to get frustrating driving with no gauges!

I hooked up a small light from my rear view mirror with one of those retractable string badge thingies.

Like the ones people have to get into an electronic door or what ever. I bought a 4 dollar led

light from Mall Mart and hanged it up. When I want to see how fast I'm going I just pull it down and it retracts back up

The light is called "the u.f.o." and it even looks cool hanging there.

But eventually I do want to get them fixed.

Well I hope that helps some people for an easy solution!

L8R,

Tommy

• 2 weeks later...

I just got mine back from Lextech and am pleased with the results, price, and turnaround time. They don't communicate well. I never knew if they even got it till I got an email saying it was re-shipped. I got the blue needles on my 93, they're supposed to run cooler and last longer. I hope it does cuz it was a !Removed! getting the wires unplugged from mine. I'm talking having to pull and pry so hard I thought the whole back was gonna break out (you REALLY have to push down hard on those lock tabs). All worth it in the end though, it looks great, and I like knowing my speed and temp now.

I just had my 1993 LS400 instrument cluster rebuilt for $195. My tachometer needle was faded, about 1 inch from the tip, my backlights would not light up when it was cold, and my fuel guage only read 1/2 tank, even when full.

I had it done by BBA Remanufacturing in Taunton Mass., and found them on e-bay. They give the unit a complete rebuild as well as fixing specific problems. It has only been 2 days, but my cluster seems better than new.

I just had my 1993 LS400 instrument cluster rebuilt for $195. My tachometer needle was faded, about 1 inch from the tip, my backlights would not light up when it was cold, and my fuel guage only read 1/2 tank, even when full.

I had it done by BBA Remanufacturing in Taunton Mass., and found them on e-bay. They give the unit a complete rebuild as well as fixing specific problems. It has only been 2 days, but my cluster seems better than new.

I checked out there web site and they look pretty reliable and trustworthy. and a life time warranty for that price not bad.