Are Gr-2's Oem Feel?

pishta

Looking to replace my dying struts. Are KYB GR-2's stock feel or are they 10% firmer, It looks like there is a firm part number too or is that a firm option? They seem to be the least expensive at around $90 a piece. Can you still get OEM at a dealership, who makes them (Tokico?) and how much are they (around 50 bucks on another post!?) ? 92 LS400, part number? I couldnt find them on Sewells. Thanks

from my research the Tokicos are highly rated for custom/performance setup. The stock strut is KYB. the only strut mounts available are KYB. the general agreement is that the KYB give you a stock feel, ie. nice and soft! the Tokico gives you a more performance feel, ie. firm and secure. guess it's up to personal preference. but GR-2's i think are repackaged or even upgraded stock struts (could be wrong)

Sorry to hijack your post but do strut mounts need to be changed?

When my shocks seemed worn, I changed them out for GR2s, based almost entirely on price. The OEM KYBs from Lexus were too expensive. The GR2s are supposed to be similar in ride and sometimes on ebay get down to $250 for all 4.

Shock mounts are not cheap. They are pretty beefy so if you wanted to cut corners you could leave them be. There are a couple of other (also expensive ) parts that should be changed at the same time. Bumper stops tend to get shredded so you need new ones. The combo insulators/isolators and boots usually need replacement. All these replacements fall under the theory "parts are expensive but I sure don't want to take all this apart again just to change out a mount or boot".

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

stock struts arent expensive, about 80 for the front and 120 for the rear

Got part numbers? I like to shop them on the internet so I have a little idea on what the dealer should charge me, it has worked in the past, " Lexus of x quoted me xx.xx!" Thanks

This is the annoying thing about Lexus and that is that most parts are only available from Lexus. This is probably for two reasons. The market is not that large and most likely Lexus likes to control the quality.

At the Park Place Lexus site and looking at the parts diagram, for the rears, they are #5 the two part rubber insulator, #6 bumper and #7 strut mount. You can get the KYB strut mounts on ebay. For the fronts the parts are the top three in the diagram, mount, bumper and insulator.

At 4x everything, it starts to add up. Another member reused the pad part of the insulator, the bellows part is usually shredded. Best to bite the bullet and have all the parts on hand. Like I said before, you don't want to do this repair twice. This job is easily doable (if I can do it, just about anybody can, you do need good assortment of tools though) but get ready as it is probably the most physically demanding job you can do. Some of the indies around here will charge labor of about $75-$100 per corner. Not bad considering, so you might just let them do it. You won't get the satisfaction of doing it yourself though and with the $400-$500 you save, you can buy some more nice tools!

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

I replaced my front struts with OEM from the dealer.. Nice..

I was quoted $139 for each rear strut for my 1991 LS 400.. My rears were so shot, 170K and original and really bouncy when more than just myself in the car..

I bought from http://www.lexpartsonline.com/ and they said OEM KYB's, I got them in the mail and they are the KYB GR-2.. They are silver in color where the original's were black..

I reused the insulator as mine was still soft and didn't need replacing.. my bumpers were also ok so reused them...

I reused the bellow also, but probably should have bought those as they lost a few rings in it..LOL.. But I put in the KYB's and over small bumps the car feels firmer.. Of course I don't remember what it's like to have the car with new struts, so I don't know if the factory from Dealer struts wouold perform different.... But I can feel a very small difference, I can feel the front a little softer than the rear, the car handles sooo much better with the new struts, but again, my old ones were so shot...

I also replaced the rear carrier arm bushings which were so worn out, that also I think contributed to the big improvement in handling in the rear of the car..

I like the way it drives, but I haven't had 4 people in it yet, but lik I said, firmer, but I have not drive with new OEM shocks to compare...

I replaced my front struts with OEM from the dealer.. Nice..

I was quoted $139 for each rear strut for my 1991 LS 400.. My rears were so shot, 170K and original and really bouncy when more than just myself in the car..

I bought from http://www.lexpartsonline.com/ and they said OEM KYB's, I got them in the mail and they are the KYB GR-2.. They are silver in color where the original's were black..

I reused the insulator as mine was still soft and didn't need replacing.. my bumpers were also ok so reused them...

I reused the bellow also, but probably should have bought those as they lost a few rings in it..LOL.. But I put in the KYB's and over small bumps the car feels firmer.. Of course I don't remember what it's like to have the car with new struts, so I don't know if the factory from Dealer struts wouold perform different.... But I can feel a very small difference, I can feel the front a little softer than the rear, the car handles sooo much better with the new struts, but again, my old ones were so shot...

I also replaced the rear carrier arm bushings which were so worn out, that also I think contributed to the big improvement in handling in the rear of the car..

I like the way it drives, but I haven't had 4 people in it yet, but lik I said, firmer, but I have not drive with new OEM shocks to compare...

Thanks, that is what I was looking for, that the GR-2's are "OEM" according to Lexus, or OEM replacements. Those seem to be about $86 for front and back each. My rear bushings are in the mail, $20 a set on craigslist, SCORE! the seller wrecked his car before he could install them but said the mechanic said that the rear end would shudder or knock on braking if they were bad, ,makes sense as the rear carrier would be pulled back on braking against the control arm bushing. I will install the shocks after I do the bushings if I still think I need them.