Fan Noise On A Brand New Car?

Hi,

I just bought 2008 IS250 over the weekend. I'm excited about my purchase but there's one thing I noticed that bothered me. The fan noise. I think it's a fan noise because if I turn off the fan by "OFF" button (the one with the fan icon right below the LCD screen), the noise stops.

The noise is constant and rather rapid and low sound. (hard to explain by writing.) It's not so obvious when driving because of other noise, but when you stop, it is noticeable.

I wonder if this is normal.

This maybe normal for used cars or for ppl who are used to used cars (my boyfriend didn't even notice that!) but it bugs me. I'm thinking about taking my car to the dealer to look at but I was wondering if any of you had this problem. It's good to have some knowledge before taking it in so they won't just say "oh, it's normal" just to turn me away.

Meesha

Hi,

I just bought 2008 IS250 over the weekend. I'm excited about my purchase but there's one thing I noticed that bothered me. The fan noise. I think it's a fan noise because if I turn off the fan by "OFF" button (the one with the fan icon right below the LCD screen), the noise stops.

The noise is constant and rather rapid and low sound. (hard to explain by writing.) It's not so obvious when driving because of other noise, but when you stop, it is noticeable.

This maybe normal for used cars or for ppl who are used to used cars (my boyfriend didn't even notice that!) but it bugs me. I'm thinking about taking my car to the dealer to look at but I was wondering if any of you had this problem. It's good to have some knowledge before taking it in so they won't just say "oh, it's normal" just to turn me away.

Meesha

I have a 2007 IS250 and don't recall any fan noise or squeak. However I hear (feel) a pressure buffeting effect sometime with the fan is on. This happens for any of the HVAC settings that I have used.

I have also heard or felt the same thing is a loner IS250 so I think it is just inherent in the design.

What is your noise like?

Regards,

Hi,

Meesha

I have a 2007 IS250 and don't recall any fan noise or squeak. However I hear (feel) a pressure buffeting effect sometime with the fan is on. This happens for any of the HVAC settings that I have used.

I have also heard or felt the same thing is a loner IS250 so I think it is just inherent in the design.

What is your noise like?

Regards,

I'd love to imitate the sound for you but I can't. But like you said, it sounds like "a pressure buffeting effect" and it's a rapid sound. I don't recall hearing the sound when I test drove the other IS. I also had a ES as a loaner car and that didn't have it either. So, I was just wondering...

Hi,

Meesha

What is your noise like?

Regards,

I'd love to imitate the sound for you but I can't. But like you said, it sounds like "a pressure buffeting effect" and it's a rapid sound. I don't recall hearing the sound when I test drove the other IS. I also had a ES as a loaner car and that didn't have it either. So, I was just wondering...

I notice a little thumpy thumpy maybe pressure sound sometimes if I have the fan running with the engine off. One thing you might want to check is the cabin filter. If it's dirty there will be extra load on the fan.

I notice a little thumpy thumpy maybe pressure sound sometimes if I have the fan running with the engine off. One thing you might want to check is the cabin filter. If it's dirty there will be extra load on the fan.

Thanks! I will tell the dealer to check ;) It should not be dirty there as this car is brand new!!

I talked to the dealer I bought the car from and he said there should not be any sound. He checked w/ other IS and said it is SILENT! So, I guess I'd have to make an appointment for the service. Doh... I just bought my car on Saturday and am already making a service appointment :(

Do you have vented seats, and if so, is one of them on? the dial would be set to 1 2 or 3 in blue.

You weren't asking me that question but I will answer anyway. I too have noticed the seat vent fan noise. The seat vent fan does make a slight hum when it is set to the cooling "Blue" setting. It makes the hum even at the lowest setting of one.

The buffeting sound that I referenced seems to happen only when the A/C fan is turning at its lowest speed. It does not seem to matter if the air source is set to recirculate or bring in air from the outside. It is weird because the buffeting (if that's what it's called) comes and goes. I would not think that it would be related to the cabin filter because mine has recently been replaced but it is possible.

Regards,

Gaugster

No, the seat heater/air is not on.

What I noticed is that the noise is more noticable after driving for a while. If you start the car after sitting for a while, it's almost not noticable.

The noise is a very low buffeting sound. It's kinda similar to the helicoptor sound... but not that loud. :D Kinda like hearing a helicoptor flying from a far.

What I noticed is that the noise is more noticable after driving for a while. If you start the car after sitting for a while, it's almost not noticable.

The noise is a very low buffeting sound. It's kinda similar to the helicoptor sound... but not that loud. :D Kinda like hearing a helicoptor flying from a far.

Yes, based on your descriptions, it is pretty clear now that 'Meesha' and I are talking about the same noise. It seems most noticeable to me when I have been driving the car and then stop at my destination. I use the 'auto' HVAC setting so usually the interior is at the correct temperature. The A/C fan is just blowing air at its lowest level. This is when I have heard/felt the buffeting effect.

If your dealer finds a solution please share it with the rest of the list. I have not asked the dealer about this because I would be afraid that they would do more harm the good. Or maybe they would just look at me funny and claim that they have no idea what I am talking about. (like that never happens :chairshot: )

Try opening a window or the moon roof the next time it happens. It may make it stop. The sound is similar to some cars that buffet when only one window is open and the vehicle is driving at highway speeds. Only this is at a much lower level.

Gaugster

That seems to describe the same sound I have been experiencing. It's not loud at all but it is a sort of distant pulsating sound and I notice it the most when coasting (like on a freeway offramp.) At first I thought the noise was coming from the tires, but I've found that it occurs only when I have the Auto air on. I thought the problem might be unique to my car but I drove two other IS's: a 250 AWD and a 350 at the dealer and I noticed the sound in those cars as well. I think that some people just don't notice the sound. The sales guy rode in the car with me and he never could hear the sound I was talking about.