Starter Going Out. How To Tell?

300man

our ' 94 lexus is starting very odd in mornings. It starts turning fast & normal at first & just before it starts, the starter or engine slows and it seems like it wants to almost stop..then suddenly it will start up.this all happens in 5 seconds or so..it only does that in the mornings..temps about 28 degrees above zero..battary tests good (used load tester) 144,000 on vehicle..battery tops appear to be clean..veh was previously well maintained..does this sound like the starter going out? any suggestions? If it is the starter I can find a used one or Re-MFG from NAPA..or where are you getting them from... wife loves the car!!

It may well be the starter, but I would check to sure that you have good connections, free of corrosion, at the battery and starter terminals. Even a little corrosion cuts way down on the juice getting to the starter. I have also seen starters that have internal failures that show up only a different temperatures, caused by expansion and contraction. An electrical shop that deals with automobiles can bench test your starter to know for sure. Personally I would have it checked before I went to the expense of buying a new or used one.

our ' 94 lexus is starting very odd in mornings. It starts turning fast & normal at first & just before it starts, the starter or engine slows and it seems like it wants to almost stop..then suddenly it will start up.this all happens in 5 seconds or so..it only does that in the mornings..temps about 28 degrees above zero..battary tests good (used load tester) 144,000 on vehicle..battery tops appear to be clean..veh was previously well maintained..does this sound like the starter going out? any suggestions? If it is the starter I can find a used one or Re-MFG from NAPA..or where are you getting them from... wife loves the car!!

The first thing I would do is check and/or replace the spark plug wires and distributor cap/rotor (assuming the '94 still had one) a spark plug "crossfire", the "right" crossfire, during cranking will bring the starter motor to a virtual halt. The cylinder to be fired, the one at TDC and under the most compression, will be the most resistent to easily firing the plug and that often results in the spark energy rising to a high enough voltage to "jump" to an adjacent wire or distributor "contact".

Also, a COLD morning after a damp night often means condensation inside the distributor and/or in and around the ignition components. Good time, early COLD morning, to check and look for condensation inside the distributor cap.

• 2 weeks later...

..got if fixed !! it appears someone switched to 'top mount' battery posts battery & used cheap-"O" battery clamps. I took them off and replaced them with good old fashion lead clamps...to make matters worse ..the size of the new clamp was too big..soooo they took a "Screw" type clamp fastner..(you know the ones you turn with a screwdirver and it tightens) ..they cut one in half to take up the space between the battary post and the too big clamp!! sheezzz ..Its fixed and works like a champ now !!!