Need Ps Fluid Leak Diagnosis Help Please...

new2mud

1990 LS400 with only 85k miles:

I recently cleaned the solenoid screen as PM, as well as removed the PS fluid reservoir and cleaned the mesh screen at the bottom of the reservoir, and did a complete fluid exchange. (Boy, was that reservoir a real pain to get back in...those bolts are really tough to access!)

Since then, I have been having a slow PS fluid leak that appears to be coming from where the hoses attach to the pump, from the best that I can tell from looking both from the top and bottom.

There is no white-smoke-at-startup to indicate the air valve has gone bad...I am physically leaking fluid from the pump/hose area.

Is this indicative of the PS pump failing, or the hoses, or....?

anyone? ...

Did the flushing do anything to the "assist" level? Much gunk or debris? Is it leaking from the pressure side or the return side? Pressure side has LOTS of PSI going through it, like 300 or something, I would try and tighten or maybe check and see if there is a metal one time use gasket that crushes and needs to be replaced anytime you break the seal. If it is the return side, same but lower pressure.

Leak diagnosis is difficult if you don't have visual access.

Try cleaning the suspected area really well. Then try to locate the leak. Use an inspection mirror if you need to see around and under components.

I sometimes use a UV dye to locate leaks. You pour in a small amount of dye, run the device and using a black light, you can easily follow the trace of UV dye back to the source of the leak. I've used this technique for engine oil and power steering leaks.

I would caution you when adding UV dye power steering system, though. The last time I did this to my GM car, the dye really didn't mix into the PS fluid very well; it separated and did not remain mixed. It might have been just the composition of GM spec'ed PS fluid. No detrimental effects have been noted, however.

Hello: I would first give it a good cleaning in the affected area. This to get all of the residual fluid out of the area. With it clean you can start looking for the leak. Usually some hose clamp is loose. Do not give up leaks like earth girls are not easy. C

Did the flushing do anything to the "assist" level? Much gunk or debris? Is it leaking from the pressure side or the return side? Pressure side has LOTS of PSI going through it, like 300 or something, I would try and tighten or maybe check and see if there is a metal one time use gasket that crushes and needs to be replaced anytime you break the seal. If it is the return side, same but lower pressure.

Flushing didn't do anything to the assist--PS was fine before...I just wanted to do some PM to clean out the solenoid and reservoir screens.

Thanks for the tips to clean the area really well, fellas. I'll do that next time I'm in there. Is the high pressure side the one closer toward the front or rear of the car?