New Tires And Wheels Have Transformed The Car!

SRK

My 92 LS400 has the stock 15 inch wheels, and in order to get a bit more rubber on the road I installed Michelin XGT -H4 tires in 215-65/15 four years ago. They worked fine, but the car always had the "big car" ride and handling....and now they are worn out. A few months ago I picked up a set of '93 16 inch wheels from a pal. I consulted the tire charts and found that the stock 93 tire, the 225-60/16 is substantially bigger in diameter than the stock 92's 205-65/15 tire. So I chose the 225-55/16 Michelin Exalto AS in H speed rating - only 1% larger than the stock tire. Costco supplied them and installed an balanced them. I installed the assemblies on the car myself ( I don't trust my whole car to many people....)

The difference is beyond my expectations! The old LS handles much like my GS400 with 17 inch Michelin Pilot Z-4's. The ride is better, not worse, and tracking and steering is exceptional. The lower profile, larger wheel diameter, and fresh rubber makes the old blue LS into a sports car. Remarkable.

Anyone want a set of refinished 15 wheels? They look great....just need new tires.

My 92 LS400 has the stock 15 inch wheels, and in order to get a bit more rubber on the road I installed Michelin XGT -H4 tires in 215-65/15 four years ago. They worked fine, but the car always had the "big car" ride and handling....and now they are worn out. A few months ago I picked up a set of '93 16 inch wheels from a pal. I consulted the tire charts and found that the stock 93 tire, the 225-60/16 is substantially bigger in diameter than the stock 92's 205-65/15 tire. So I chose the 225-55/16 Michelin Exalto AS in H speed rating - only 1% larger than the stock tire. Costco supplied them and installed an balanced them. I installed the assemblies on the car myself ( I don't trust my whole car to many people....)

The difference is beyond my expectations! The old LS handles much like my GS400 with 17 inch Michelin Pilot Z-4's. The ride is better, not worse, and tracking and steering is exceptional. The lower profile, larger wheel diameter, and fresh rubber makes the old blue LS into a sports car. Remarkable.

Anyone want a set of refinished 15 wheels? They look great....just need new tires.

SRK,

How much do you want for the 4 wheels? I have a 91 LS400 and was going to upgrade to 16" wheels since my original 15" wheels are worned out.

Thanks

The problem Mikey is that I'm on the Canadian west coast, and you're most of a continent away. Shipping would be very high. I'd make you a screaming deal on the set, and then that price would be doubled by the post office.

SRK

The problem Mikey is that I'm on the Canadian west coast, and you're most of a continent away. Shipping would be very high. I'd make you a screaming deal on the set, and then that price would be doubled by the post office.

SRK

Oh yeah...I did not notice you are in BC. Well, I guess I am stuck with my old wheels until,,,,

Thanks for the prompt response,

Hi SRK!! :)

I hope you're OK.

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with your new wheels AND tires!! You never know how a wheel/tire combination is REALLY going to effect the ride and handling of your car until they're actually on the car. So it's good to hear that you made the right choice. I've been thinking about getting some new tires for my car. I've been thinking of buying Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires now that Bridgestone has stopped making the Turanza LS-V's that I've been quite happy with. But the Michelin's are $245 each at the Lexus dealer and $228 each at both 'Tires Unlimited' and 'O-K Tire'. [A no-brainer where I would buy them] But that's before you mentioned the Michelin Exaltos. They're supposed to be an excellent tire but last I heard they weren't available in Canada. Now that I know different - I'll be sure to take a closer look. Do you mind telling me what you paid for your Exaltos?! And do you remember if they come in a 'V' speed rating?!

Thanks,

Craig!! :)

Hi SRK!! :)

I hope you're OK.

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with your new wheels AND tires!! You never know how a wheel/tire combination is REALLY going to effect the ride and handling of your car until they're actually on the car. So it's good to hear that you made the right choice. I've been thinking about getting some new tires for my car. I've been thinking of buying Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires now that Bridgestone has stopped making the Turanza LS-V's that I've been quite happy with. But the Michelin's are $245 each at the Lexus dealer and $228 each at both 'Tires Unlimited' and 'O-K Tire'. [A no-brainer where I would buy them] But that's before you mentioned the Michelin Exaltos. They're supposed to be an excellent tire but last I heard they weren't available in Canada. Now that I know different - I'll be sure to take a closer look. Do you mind telling me what you paid for your Exaltos?! And do you remember if they come in a 'V' speed rating?!

Thanks,

Craig!! :)

They stopped making the Turanza LS-Vs? I just put a set on my LS a couple months ago. I can't imagine a better tire for this car at any price. That's too bad.

Hi Craig;

The Exalto is the replacement for the XGT-4 Michelin, which was a bit long in the tooth. It is a less expensive version of the Pilot Sport AS, which I have on the GS. The Pilot AS tires are about the best I have ever driven, but they were $1400.00 installed! That's for the 235/45-17 Z rated. So I chose the Exalto for the LS- a pal of mine has them on an Acura Integra and raved about them.

I got mine at Costco - took the bare wheels in. Costco charged me about $760.00 as I recall, and that included a $60.00 off sale on a set of four Michelins. Mine are H rated, but they are available in V rated too.

Drove the car to Duncan yesterday to see my mom. The tires took about fifteen minutes to get to temp and wear in a bit. I was literally amazed at the difference. The car has a "German" feel to it - Benz or BMW like steering and stability. It is far more than I expected.

I have driven LS's with the 225/60-16 - yours and a few others. Just what the actual contribution is between the 225/55-16 size change and the Exalto's I don't know. I am sure both have contributed to the performance of the car now. Certainly the 55's look great - avoid the "balloonish" look of the taller tires.

The Exalto's become quieter (!) above 60kph.

I am sure getting the Exalto's would be a good choice. I just put Goodrich Traction TA's on the old Volvo - that brown one you saw earlier - and I am dissappointed in them comparded to the Michelins.

I hope this helps!

Take care,

SRK

I have the Exalto 15" on the original 91 rims. Nothing finer. I've run Goodyear before, but never been as satified as I am with the Michellins. I got mine at Discount tire because it's right next door to my office. Rotate & Balance every 6000 miles is a snap and it's free at Discount!