Help Me! ... Es300 - Knock Sensor/bank 2 Error P0330

I have a 1996 ES300. I took it into the shop for inspection (passed) and emmisions (uncomplete). The engine light was on before I took it in, and they told me they reset it. I was told that there was an error P0330 and that they could not fix it. They sent me directly to the Lexus dealer and the same error was found, knock sensor / bank 2. The Lexus Dealership told me I should get bank 1 done at the same time also because it would save me on repair costs. I was told it will cost over $800 for them to make the repair and would like to know if this is reasonable, or if its possible for me to shop around... I don't know how/where to look for places that repair this... is this something many shops can fix?

Also, a week later my battery was completely dead. I had a new one installed. The engine light is now off. I assume the engine light error is gone because it was reset, but i'm just curious, is there a possibility that the dying battery could have caused the knock sensor/bank 2 error P0330?

I was told it will cost over $800 for them to make the repair and would like to know if this is reasonable, or if its possible for me to shop around... I don't know how/where to look for places that repair this... is this something many shops can fix?
I can tell you from experience that just the sensors alone, at least for us, were $360 for two. Tear open start to finish is 4-6 hours depending on the person, so it seems they price the quoted is about right. If you were half way mechanically inclined you could do it yourself. My husband and I have a 2000 and we replaced both sensors, since we were in there, in about 6 hours start to finish. We downloaded the repair manual from online and also got some pictures from a similiar engine to show where everything was. The engine really isn't as scary as it looks and the sensors are easy to find.

However, if you don't want to bang your head and be bothered, then you are going to have to pay the $800, again, half of which is parts, the rest is labor.

I am pretty sure the battery is unrelated. A dead battery wouldn't throw a code. I know that from experience too because we just replaced our battery last week. The car not turning over, due to a dying battery, threw no code whatsoever....

Hope that helps. :)

Yes, I agree, your check engine light went off because your battery died, which basically reset your computer. $800 for the work described is about right, one thing you may consider is to check out a Toyota dealership. They often charge less for the same work, being that a Lexus is a Toyota after all (a very upscale one at that).

If money is the issue you could just have them do bank #2 and hope bank #1 doesn't have issues. Cost vs Benefit.

Good luck

• 2 years later...
I have a 1996 ES300. I took it into the shop for inspection (passed) and emmisions (uncomplete). The engine light was on before I took it in, and they told me they reset it. I was told that there was an error P0330 and that they could not fix it. They sent me directly to the Lexus dealer and the same error was found, knock sensor / bank 2. The Lexus Dealership told me I should get bank 1 done at the same time also because it would save me on repair costs. I was told it will cost over $800 for them to make the repair and would like to know if this is reasonable, or if its possible for me to shop around... I don't know how/where to look for places that repair this... is this something many shops can fix?

Also, a week later my battery was completely dead. I had a new one installed. The engine light is now off. I assume the engine light error is gone because it was reset, but i'm just curious, is there a possibility that the dying battery could have caused the knock sensor/bank 2 error P0330?

When i did fix mine i think the biggest problem was the location of the part anda few comments helped me get thru, I got my knock sensor off ebay for $50 i knew it was Bank 2 and changed it and the car runs well for the last 45 days. I have attached a pic of what it looks like

The choice is yours if to go with the dealership which for me that is a crazy amount of money.... or get some one local who is smart

post-111415-1268227274_thumb.jpg

post-111415-1268227289_thumb.jpg

post-111415-1268227300_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

When i did fix mine i think the biggest problem was the location of the part anda few comments helped me get thru, I got my knock sensor off ebay for $50 i knew it was Bank 2 and changed it and the car runs well for the last 45 days. I have attached a pic of what it looks like

The choice is yours if to go with the dealership which for me that is a crazy amount of money.... or get some one local who is smart

Is the bank 2 easy to reach? I don't need to open the engine, correct? Urgently awaiting reply. Thanks.

I have seen this concern many times. I never replace both sensors "since I'm in there". I have seen co-workers replace both sensors at the same time, but this is a practice I don't agree with: You have one bad sensor, not two. The only thing is removing the intake manifold to get to it. Some of the bolts in the back are a little difficult to get to. Bank2 knock sensor will be the one closest to the front of the car. Be mindful of the wire harness connector. They have gotten very brittle over time. If one should crack, don't freak out. I use a little dab of silicone sealer on the OUTSIDE of the connector to hold it in place.

Unfortunately too access either knock sensor yu have to remove intake manifold....They are located in the same valley of the engine....

Unfortunately too access either knock sensor yu have to remove intake manifold....They are located in the same valley of the engine....

No doubt, but I have never had to go back in to replace the opposite and I have performed this procedure many times over the last 20 years. I'm just saying, it's an unnecessary added expense. In fact, I've seen more knock sensor codes due to rodents chewing the wire harness under the intake, than sensors themselves failing.

No doubt, but I have never had to go back in to replace the opposite and I have performed this procedure many times over the last 20 years. I'm just saying, it's an unnecessary added expense. In fact, I've seen more knock sensor codes due to rodents chewing the wire harness under the intake, than sensors themselves failing.

Same logic as replacing the waterpump when you change the timing belt. I have seen many good waterpumps get replaced with the timing belt and I would continue to advise people to replace the waterpump at the same time. On a higher mileage vehicle if I were replacing one knock sensor then it's false economy to not change both. If the other doesn't fail then you are okay, if it does then you pay the labor all over again.

Same logic as replacing the waterpump when you change the timing belt. I have seen many good waterpumps get replaced with the timing belt and I would continue to advise people to replace the waterpump at the same time. On a higher mileage vehicle if I were replacing one knock sensor then it's false economy to not change both. If the other doesn't fail then you are okay, if it does then you pay the labor all over again.

That drives me up a wall. How often have you seen one of our water pumps leak? How often have you seen multiple knock sensors fail? I'm all for preventative maintenance, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I would never charge a customer twice to go back in to an engine if a component failed within a reasonable amount of time(a year or so). On that note, why not replace the valve cover gaskets while you have the intake off? Why not replace your cam and crank seals while you are replacing your water pump? Sure, there's nothing wrong with any of them, but "since I'm there".

That drives me up a wall. How often have you seen one of our water pumps leak? How often have you seen multiple knock sensors fail? I'm all for preventative maintenance, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I would never charge a customer twice to go back in to an engine if a component failed within a reasonable amount of time(a year or so). On that note, why not replace the valve cover gaskets while you have the intake off? Why not replace your cam and crank seals while you are replacing your water pump? Sure, there's nothing wrong with any of them, but "since I'm there".

You might not charge a customer under those circumstances but virtually every shop and certainly most every dealer would. If the car is under 100k then I might agree with you but when you are dealing with high mileage vehicles the rules change. The Lexus (and Toyota) are very well made and well designed vehicles but they do not transcend the laws of physics. More importantly, if you do not know the complete history of the car then you are gambling with the clients money and well being. So, if I know when every coolant flush, oil change, transmission service and alignment was done I might be fine replacing only a timing belt and leaving the waterpump but if I don't then I change the pump.