Brit On The Way To Joliet Il.

Alex JB

Hi Chaps,

It seems we have 2 things in common, We love our Lexus' and shortly I will be a resident of the US of A too.

I'm moving to Illinois, in the Chicago to Bloomington area (working in Joliet).

I will be looking to buy two cars, a replacement for my S1 LS400 - probably another LS400!, and something with a 3rd row.

What I'd like to ask you guys is...

1. how to buy a $5-6K lexus in the US, what to look out for, I'm fine with the car mechanicals ect, I'm worried about service history, what the hell is carfax and things to do with the deal so I don't get ripped off, also insurance.

2. What's the most car for the money and reliable ect for $8-9K with a 3rd row? I need space for 4 adults + 2kids + luggage to and from the airport once a month and weekend outings, you know the score.

Any help would be gratly appreciated! :cheers:

Thanks,

Alex JB.

1. how to buy a $5-6K lexus in the US, what to look out for, I'm fine with the car mechanicals ect, I'm worried about service history, what the hell is carfax and things to do with the deal so I don't get ripped off, also insurance.
Any Lexus dealer will run the VIN and give you the service history of the car. Carfax runs all kinds of searches on the background of the car to see if it has been flooded, badly wrecked, used as a rental car, etc., etc. It's well worth the $20 to get the Carfax, but a lot of dealers will do this for you. Here's what a carfax looks like (I found this in an ad on ebay.): http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_DisplayHisto...8UF22E3S0023844

As for not getting ripped off with the price, go to kbb.com for a starting point, and also, familiarize yourself with what LS400s are selling for in your area by looking in the newspaper, autotrader, cars.com, etc. And above all, be ready to haggle! lol

2. What's the most car for the money and reliable ect for $8-9K with a 3rd row? I need space for 4 adults + 2kids + luggage to and from the airport once a month and weekend outings, you know the score.
I'd probably look for a used Honda Odyssey. Or is a mini-van out of the question?? lol

I LOVE Chicago. My father works right outside of Joliet in Channahon, and I go up there as many times as possible to visit!