Shield On The Navigation Screen

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I couldn't seem to locate an answer. What is the general concensus about putting a shield on the navigation screen to improve the screen life and avoid fingerprints? Right now I don't have a shield on the screen and I am using a eye glass cloth (per the owner's manual) to clean the screen. I have had the car only a week, so I'm open to suggestions. I had one on my Dell Axim PDA and later on my Blackberry, but I took it off the latter unit because it was distorting the screen.

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I couldn't seem to locate an answer. What is the general concensus about putting a shield on the navigation screen to improve the screen life and avoid fingerprints? Right now I don't have a shield on the screen and I am using a eye glass cloth (per the owner's manual) to clean the screen. I have had the car only a week, so I'm open to suggestions. I had one on my Dell Axim PDA and later on my Blackberry, but I took it off the latter unit because it was distorting the screen.

Yes, this has been discussed before. Generally I would say that they work but are somtimes difficult to install.

I purchased a screensaver film from ebay called cleargaurd XP. I like it and it does not hamper the function of the touch screen or distort the image. I found it very difficult to install without getting air bubbles but maybe I just need a better technique.

I only bought one screen saver and so far it has not needed to be replaced. However it you tend to scratch them then I would buy more than one at a time.

I am sure that there are other brands available that will work just as good as the one I bought.

Regards,

I've used lots of them on cell phones including touch screen types.

They work well. I imagine the screen will be somewhat difficult to install on the near vertical surface. Take your time and it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm not sure if the company ShieldZone offers screens for your car, but DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. The quality of their material and the way it is cut is substandard. You can defintely find better.

• 5 months later...

Ditto on a product called "NuShield." Basically wedges under the nav bezel, so it's free to move around, defeating the purpose of the screen. I suspect you would put more scratches on the screeen with it than without it, due to the ability of dust to get under the screen. Good idea, bad engineering....

Doc H.