Deciding Btwn New Or Used Is350

I'm getting close to getting my IS and I am trying to decide btwn a new or used. If I bus used, there's a chance I'll purchase it from a private party rather than from a dealer. I understand that when you purchase a new IS from a dealer, they progam a few personal setting into the car for you. What all are these setting and are they something I can do myself when I get it home? If I am to buy my IS from a dealer, will any dealer (ie Acura or BMW) set up these options or is it just Lexus Dealers that can do this?

Thanks

Scorpiof9fa

LPS (lexus personalized settings) is about 4 pages of things that can be set... a very few of them can be changed by the end user later on, but most of them can only be done by a Lexus dealer, and it's not free. (Well, you get ONE free set of changes if you buy new, within the first 12 months of ownership, but after that, they charge... how much will vary by dealer but I'd guess it'd be whatever they get for an hour of labor).

When I was looking at getting an IS I found that the price difference on new vs. used was very small, and it wasn't worth buying used... especially since I wanted the sport package which was very rare to begin with, in a specific color combo... If you're not picky about color, or want an option package that's pretty common, you might be more able to find a used car price that's worth it to you.

If you want to see the full LPS list you can go here:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showpost.p...mp;postcount=23

Click on the PDF and it'll have em

Don't let the personal settings along convince you to buy new.

Really, in the end there's not that much stuff you'll want to change. The ONLY thing that I had changed was that when I unlock the doors, all doors unlock. From the factory only the driver's unlocks with you use the sensor on the door. It's done this way for the ladies that fear someone jumping in their car.

Buying used can save you the inital depreciation hit, which is good. A car is not an investment, but it is an asset, so you should try to get the most money out of it as you can.

All that said, I bought new because I like new cars, so it's up to you to decide.

The ONLY thing that I had changed was that when I unlock the doors, all doors unlock. From the factory only the driver's unlocks with you use the sensor on the door. It's done this way for the ladies that fear someone jumping in their car.

This is one of the few LPS you can change yourself, if you don't like it.

Fact is, the 4 pages of LPS floating around is deceiving. Someone dug up all the things that could possibly be changed (and some of the stuff is duplicative, or won't apply--for example, there are separate LPS for the doors automatically locking for auto tranny and manual). If you go on the owner link page of the Lexus website, you can print out the one page form of the LPS that Lexus actually advertises about--what they claim are the "most popular".

The LPS should not guide your decision here.

BTW--anyone know HOW MUCH it costs to change the LPS after the freebie?

The ONLY thing that I had changed was that when I unlock the doors, all doors unlock. From the factory only the driver's unlocks with you use the sensor on the door. It's done this way for the ladies that fear someone jumping in their car.

How do you change it?

How do you change it?

This topic caught my attention because I went through the same thing. I ultimately chose to buy used and I'm so happy I did. It took me a long time to find the car I wanted though but it saved me a TON of money. I'm getting the car next Saturday and can't wait!

Here are the specs:

2006 - Black w/tan interior (this is what took so long to find, I fell in love with this color combo)

the guy bought the car with every possible option. Its got the ML audio, premium package, radar, everything. The sticker price was over $46K. I'm buying the car off of him w/ 20000 miles for $29,000. The car is in immaculate condition and the guy I'm buying it from is a car nut, its never been smoked in, eaten in or anything, he said the reason he is selling it is because he was neglecting his Jag XKR because the Lex was too fun to drive.

The point of my story is buying used can be a great option if you are willing to put the research work in to find a good deal.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm getting close to getting my IS and I am trying to decide btwn a new or used. If I bus used, there's a chance I'll purchase it from a private party rather than from a dealer. I understand that when you purchase a new IS from a dealer, they progam a few personal setting into the car for you. What all are these setting and are they something I can do myself when I get it home? If I am to buy my IS from a dealer, will any dealer (ie Acura or BMW) set up these options or is it just Lexus Dealers that can do this?

Thanks

Scorpiof9fa

Im in the market too and from what I've seen there isnt much difference in price if you go from a new to a used. especially for the 350. all the ones I've seen are up there with the new and they have some mileage on them. I'm going with the new. Especially since it looks like most people are buying tires and brakes at about 15k miles. Your savings will go for new tires and brakes.