Service Appointment Turnaround Time

I purchased my 2007 RX 400h a month ago. I was told as I went through the purchasing process that Lexus provides a courtesy car when service is needed. I was also told that Lexus drops off the courtesy car at my home, takes my new one in for service, then returns my RX 400h to my home, and takes the courtesy car back to the dealer - all for no extra charge.

Unfortunately, I have a problem with the rain sensing wipers. I called for an appointment today (10/24) and was told that a courtesy car appointment was not available until 11/14 if I dropped off my car and picked-up the courtesy car at the dealer; or 11/19 for the home drop-off/pick-up. I was surprised this was 3+ weeks out.

Is this normal? I was expecting much faster turnaround. Good thing this is more of a discretionary appointment. I think I can get a much earlier appointment without the courtesy car, but then I give up that great perk.

thanks, Jim.

this is absurd = your dealer must be small potatoes i am in cleveland and get instant service and loaner and pickup are all free and they are glad to see me - Metro Lexus can't do enough for me = includes free car wash anytime -interior and exterior vaccuming and window wash inside = all free anytime i go there

Hopefully you have another Lexus dealer in the vicinity! Alas, PA is a large state with many areas probably not near a Lexus dealer. Years ago I had an Acura and when the dealer found out I was traveling to rural PA with a potential problem they told me to get it fixed in NJ first! My dealer has many loaner cars.

Malvern, PA is a suburb of Philadelphia. I have 2 dealerships nearby, each about 30 minutes drive away from my home. The dealership I bought my RX 400h is Wilkie Lexus. The other is Lexus of Chester Springs. The Chester Springs dealership is new. I think they opened about a year ago. Wilkie has been around for a while.

The service perks look great. I had the car in for service for the wipers about 3 weeks ago. They worked me in the same day if I was willing to wait or drop-off the car, but said they could not reproduce the problem with the wipers and didn't fix anything. All together, they spent less than an hour on it from the time I dropped it off to the keys back in my hand; which included a car wash and vacuuming. The car was only a week old and did not need a cleaning. Unfortunately, my previously clean windshield, windows, and sunroof were returned streaked and with soap bubbles on the sunroof. Needless to elaborate further - it was a disappointing experience all around. I thought more effort should have been made to diagnose the problem and was surprised by the 3-week wait for the courtesy car.

I'm thinking they might be more successful than planned in sales and need to scale-up the service operation.

Be sure to fill out the follow up survey honestly. I'd try the other dealer, or tell them that you might have to use the other dealer. My sympathies. If its any consolation I discovered a flat tire when my car was parked on the top floor of the hotel garage in Philly when it was a week old. Towing service didn't even want to tackle getting up there with the truck. The man walked to the top floor with the tools! They were good about coming to my rescue so I could drive back to NJ.

Be sure to fill out the follow up survey honestly. I'd try the other dealer, or tell them that you might have to use the other dealer. My sympathies. If its any consolation I discovered a flat tire when my car was parked on the top floor of the hotel garage in Philly when it was a week old. Towing service didn't even want to tackle getting up there with the truck. The man walked to the top floor with the tools! They were good about coming to my rescue so I could drive back to NJ.

I spoke with my salesman about the availability of loaner cars. He said the wait is normally 4-5 days. The dealership has 82 loaners in the inventory. He did not know for sure, but thought there might be a surge in service volume as folks get ready for the winter. Fortunately, this is more of a discretionary appointment, so the delay doesn't matter much to me right now.

thanks, Jim.

The one decent dealership in my area, in which I take my 400H to service, has courtesy cars, but not the US models. I purchased my 400H from the States and imported it myself, saved over 10k... only downside is for the 3 or so times I take it in to service a year I am not privey to a free lexus loaner.

The "other" dealer which is willing to loan me a car (toyota product) tacks on a bundle of "necessary" costly service maintenance (though not outlined in the Lexus Owners Manual) such as brake cleaning, 4 wheel alignment (at each and Every oil change) etc... I do not know how they stay in business.

Anyhoot, I am sure the dealers in the US of A are a whole lot better than the Canadian Lexus Dealers, afterall, it is the US of A that taught the rest of the economic world the meaning of "SERVICE" and "After Sales SERVICE".

Cheers,

Madlor

P.S. Sewell Lexus of Texas is AWESOME, they are more helpfull over the phone than my present dealer service department is in person.