2003 Es300 Steering Wheel Squeak

reikiwes

Search hates me, so perhaps you can help me out.

I have read on the forum about the steering wheel squeaking or squealing when the weather gets cool. Well, since my purchase last week, the weather here in Florida has been above 80 degrees. Today, the temps went down to low 50's, and the whole way to work my steering wheel squealed as I turned it. I did a three-point-turn this morning, and laughed a little cause the noise was so peculiar. Definitely is coming from directly behind the steering wheel, almost like leather rubbing on leather, not so much a "mechanical" sound at all.

Can anyone do a better job than me of searching the forum for that post, or does anyone have any experience with this noise?

Thanks!

Search hates me, so perhaps you can help me out.

I have read on the forum about the steering wheel squeaking or squealing when the weather gets cool. Well, since my purchase last week, the weather here in Florida has been above 80 degrees. Today, the temps went down to low 50's, and the whole way to work my steering wheel squealed as I turned it. I did a three-point-turn this morning, and laughed a little cause the noise was so peculiar. Definitely is coming from directly behind the steering wheel, almost like leather rubbing on leather, not so much a "mechanical" sound at all.

Can anyone do a better job than me of searching the forum for that post, or does anyone have any experience with this noise?

Thanks!

Mine squeaks like that all the time and sounds like a Wookie. I noticed it first when I Armor-All'ed the pis s out of everything on the dash (including a shot on the steering wheel's base). Plus I live in Anchorage and the temperature is well below 80 this time of year. To fix it, I'd probably just floss a shop towel on every angle of where it makes contact. I find it amusing during slow, sharp turns in parking garages, haha.

reikiwes; I complained about a steering wheel squeak while our 03 ES 300 was under warranty. They sprayed a lubricant (I would try a white lithium grease) on the steering column where there is a rubber bushing. I believe they did this from inside the passenger compartment. Squeak has not come back. Good luck.