2006 Gs 430 Inside Tire Wear

I have a 2006 Lexus GS 430 and have recently had to replace a tire because the inside was worn down on the edge of the tire (basically the top edge of the tire) on about half the tire. The inside of the tire basically was grooved down and about a 4 inch spot that was really worn and put a puncuture in the tire. I know this is not a great description, but the inside of the tire on the edge was basically pushed down or worn. I have the Dunlop 5000 run flat tires that came with the car and had not had any isuues with them. The tire went flat on the back after I had the car in for service, but I beleive this is from the front of the car, because my two front tires are now doing the same thing.

Has anyone had this happen or know what the cause could be? Also, is their a airbag recall on the 2006 GS430?

Thanks,

Justin

I have a 2006 Lexus GS 430 and have recently had to replace a tire because the inside was worn down on the edge of the tire (basically the top edge of the tire) on about half the tire. The inside of the tire basically was grooved down and about a 4 inch spot that was really worn and put a puncuture in the tire. I know this is not a great description, but the inside of the tire on the edge was basically pushed down or worn. I have the Dunlop 5000 run flat tires that came with the car and had not had any isuues with them. The tire went flat on the back after I had the car in for service, but I beleive this is from the front of the car, because my two front tires are now doing the same thing.

Has anyone had this happen or know what the cause could be? Also, is their a airbag recall on the 2006 GS430?

Thanks,

Justin

I also have an '06 GS430 and it had the run flat tires. I had the same problem at about 19,000 miles. I had a flat and took it in to get it repaired. It wasn't until the tire was removed that I was able to see the ridge that had developed along the inside edge. Because the ridge was on the inside you couldn't really see it. I ran my hand along the inside edges of the other three tires and found the same ridge to varying degrees. I just thought it was because they were run flats (with very stiff sidewalls) and high performance (soft) rubber. I replaced them with BF Goodrich g-Force sport tires. They look good, perform well, and have already outlasted the original fun-flats with very little signs of wear. The ride is a bit smoother and they cost a fraction of the price of the run-flats. Of course, next time I have a flat, I'll have to use the spare...

• 2 weeks later...

:cries:

Thanks,

Justin

Hi Justin,

My wife and I both have 2006 GS300 awd. We experienced the same problem. At 28,000 miles my wife got a flat tire. I thought maybe she ran over a nail or something. The tires are the Dunlop run flats also. I found that the tire was down to the steel beads. Only on the inside edge. Only about an inch was worn. The rest of the tire was worn evenly and probably could have gone another 10,000 miles without any problem. I immediately checked the other 3 tires. Same situation. She had her tires rotated at 15,000 miles. Then I checked my GS and found the same exact problem. I had about 24,000 miles on my GS. I called the dealer where she leased her car. The service writer told me that they were designed to wear that way. He said we were lucky to get that many miles because they were a soft compound. When he told me that they were designed to wear this way, I asked him how long he had worked in the car business. He replied 6 months. I said to him that explained his explanation and that he did not know what the hell he was talking about. I am very aware of soft compounds. They should wear evenly, depending on air pressure in the tires. I have never had my tires rotated on my GS and my tires wore exactly the same. I proceeded to call Lexus in CA. They were very little help. They told me the same thing that I really should not complain because I already got more than 20,000 miles on the tires. My lease is 4 years and I am aloud 60,000 miles. At the end of the lease I will have replaced 3 sets of tires. At approximately $1500.00 a set. Let me think about my next non Lexus purchase. I will have spent $100,000 dollars on the 2 cars plus about $7500.00 on tires. Sounds to me like I need to get out of retirement. I spent 22 years in the car business. I have owned 135 cars in my lifetime. Sports cars muscle cars you name it. It was an absolute insult the way the dealer and Lexus handled this problem. We have owned 4 Lexus vehicles. NO MORE!!!!!! THEIR LOSS and mine.

Good luck

Jim

• 1 month later...

Thanks,

Justin

I just put on my winter wheels two days ago and noticed the same thing, my OEM Dunlop run-flats were worn down on

the inside edge, witht the groove and several spots worn down to the metal. They did hold air just fine though.

I have 21K on the car, Dunlops had about 15-16K on them.

Is this kind of wear covered by tire warranty at all?

Michael

'06 GS430

• 1 month later...

I had same problem at 18000 miles told Yoko Advans needed replacing. I drove them until 24K because the rest of tire had ample tread left. At 24K, I had oil change and was surprised to see when up on the rack, I was riding on the inside steel belts on all 4. Just replace them with Bridgestone Pole Position 960;s at Tire Rack, $203 per tire. Had an alignment. Was told this was normal for sport cars, and particularly this vehicle. Rides well now, but I don't want to change tires every 20,000 miles. This may be my last Lexus also. Last car was a BMW, very sporty and no problem with inside wear, so this is not a Sports car issue. This sounds like an engineering issue.

• 3 weeks later...

:unsure:

I had to change my Yoko on my 2006 GS300 at 16k miles with the inside of the front tires (rear two were even) worn out as described. Local shop told me I need an alignment. Based on the comments posted, it looks like this is normal.

Nonetheless, does any one have good experience with local alignment shops?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

Justin

After about 8000 all of my 4 tires were worn in the inside like yours. The car was re aligned (for the second time) and the dealer gave 4 new tires. They wore normal after that. WW

• 4 months later...

This happened to me with my 2006 Lexus GS430 I only have 22K miles on it and I never would have noticed it if one of the tires did not pop. Theses 18" Yokohama ADVAN tires were worn out on the inside. I am calling Lexus because the tires look fine until the car is in the air.

They are going to kill someone if they do not do something about this.

I have a 2006 GS430 also. I got it when it had 15,000 miles and took it in because it shook when i went over 65. I thought there was a tear in them so I went ot the local tire shop to have them checked. He told me he has seen this before on Lexus and it is from riding the car in "Sport" and the person who had the car before me must have driven all the time with it in "sport" feature on. I got new tires (not run flats)and an alignment and they seem to be fine now. I love my Lexus.

• 2 weeks later...

have a 2006 Lexus GS 430 and have recently had to replace a tire because the inside was worn down on the edge of the tire (basically the top edge of the tire) on about half the tire. The inside of the tire basically was grooved down and about a 4 inch spot that was really worn and put a puncuture in the tire. I know this is not a great description, but the inside of the tire on the edge was basically pushed down or worn. I have the Dunlop 5000 run flat tires that came with the car and had not had any isuues with them. The tire went flat on the back after I had the car in for service, but I beleive this is from the front of the car, because my two front tires are now doing the same thing.

Thanks,

Justin

After about 8000 all of my 4 tires were worn in the inside like yours. The car was re aligned (for the second time) and the dealer gave 4 new tires. They wore normal after that. WW

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUES WITH MY 2006 GS3OO. HOW MANY MILE DID YOU GET OUT OF YOUR SECOND SET OF TIRES AND WHAT BRAND ARE THEY? HOW MUCH DID THEY CHARGE YOU TO ALIGN AND MOUNT THE NEW TIRES?

THANKS,

RON

Thanks,

Justin

This is a company secret just like the Ford Explorer tire problem. Everyone should call 1-800-25-LEXUS. The dealers know these cars have some issue, but they just replace the average customers tires while the sit in the waiting room. Lexus will charge them, they will never tell them they could have been killed and they never tell them they will be back in 12,000 to 15,000 miles with the same problem.

I discovered when having my last oil change that I needed to replace my tires, 19,000 (Yokahama). Mine have worn bad on inside also. Would it be a waste of time to take this problem up with Lexus? I'm thinking about the Michelin Pilot Sport AS. My son-in-law says I don't have to put a sport tire back on it. I am concerned that the tire sensor will not work correctly and the hazard light will always be on. Does anyone know the mileage you may expect with the Michelin?

I discovered when having my last oil change that I needed to replace my tires, 19,000 (Yokahama). Mine have worn bad on inside also. Would it be a waste of time to take this problem up with Lexus? I'm thinking about the Michelin Pilot Sport AS. My son-in-law says I don't have to put a sport tire back on it. I am concerned that the tire sensor will not work correctly and the hazard light will always be on. Does anyone know the mileage you may expect with the Michelin?

I am hoping at least 30k since I just had them put on my GS300 AWD.

As of the Yokahamas, it never hurts to ask. See if they will cut you a break on the Michelins with the return/replacement of the Yokahama.

Lexus can't say they don't know about the tires as many have reported it.

steviej

Tillie, your son in law is right, you dont have to put sport tires on it, but you should try to get the same speed rating. Try a grand touring tire if you prefer a smooth ride.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem on my 2006 GS300 with 38,000 miles on run-flat tire. Like many of you, I found that out after replacing a flat tire. That was also when I found the other three tires have the same excessive wear on the inside. Fortunately, the flat didn't happen at 70mph.

After some research, I found that Lexus designed the car for performance at the expense of such tire wear. They configured the wheel on each axle to toe in like this (//----\\). As you can see, that causes the tire to wear on the inside more than the outside. I put on new tires, did realignment at a Lexus dealer, put a leveler vertically against each wheel and found the top of each wheel is tilted toward the inside by about an inch. Since I care about safety and long-lasting tire more than performance, I am going to see if an alignment shop can adjust the toeing and the camber for the wheel to be perfectly perpendicular like this: ||----||.

Did anyone try this before? I would be interested in the feasibility and the result of such an approach.