Plastic Trim Piece

Buy a new one from Carson Toyota/Lexus for $50 +/-. I had the same problem with my car and it's doing it again! But in my situation my lower panel is actually warped outward slightly leaving a 1/8" lip (not completely flush with the rear door) so whenever I bring my car to the carwash it rips that corner with the brushes. I have to replace this panel. You are correct that no glue will help...it must be replaced. GL!

Buy a new one from Carson Toyota/Lexus for $50 +/-. I had the same problem with my car and it's doing it again! But in my situation my lower panel is actually warped outward slightly leaving a 1/8" lip (not completely flush with the rear door) so whenever I bring my car to the carwash it rips that corner with the brushes. I have to replace this panel. You are correct that no glue will help...it must be replaced. GL!

oh i had no idea u could even replace it i thought it was part of the door well thanx man i will check it out tomorrow

• 3 weeks later...

Do you happen to have the part # for this plasitc piece? Mine is coming off as well.

Was it hard to replace?

Do you happen to have the part # for this plasitc piece? Mine is coming off as well.

Was it hard to replace?

No, it was not hard to replace at all...there is a series of screws along the bottom edge of the inside of the door. As far as the part #, I do not have it handy. Just contact Luis or Gordon from Carson Toyota/Lexus and they will give you the right part.GL!

Was it hard to replace?

No, it was not hard to replace at all...there is a series of screws along the bottom edge of the inside of the door. As far as the part #, I do not have it handy. Just contact Luis or Gordon from Carson Toyota/Lexus and they will give you the right part.GL!

I am glad someone brought this up. I just noticed today that mine is starting to part ways with my door as well. I assume they come in the OE color, or do you have to paint to match?

Was it hard to replace?

I am glad someone brought this up. I just noticed today that mine is starting to part ways with my door as well. I assume they come in the OE color, or do you have to paint to match?

No, if you give the Parts Dept your VIN they will order part(s) in matching color for your car.

Was it hard to replace?

No, if you give the Parts Dept your VIN they will order part(s) in matching color for your car.

Does anyone have a picture of this particular part as i am not sure what exactly it is. Thanks.

Was it hard to replace?

Does anyone have a picture of this particular part as i am not sure what exactly it is. Thanks.

It is the small rubberized strip that runs along the very bottom edge of the front doors. My strips in Alpine Silver are P/N 75735-30172-B0 & 75736-30172-B0. BTW, on my 98 the screws that secure the strips to the rear of the plastic door cladding * are definitely not * easily accessible from the backside of the door. IMHO the plastic cladding should be completely removed from the front doors in order to properly replace the lower rubber strips. The interior door panels need not be removed. For whatever it's worth.

I can give complete step-by-step for doing this properly if you need it.

• 2 months later...

Was it hard to replace?

It is the small rubberized strip that runs along the very bottom edge of the front doors. My strips in Alpine Silver are P/N 75735-30172-B0 & 75736-30172-B0. BTW, on my 98 the screws that secure the strips to the rear of the plastic door cladding * are definitely not * easily accessible from the backside of the door. IMHO the plastic cladding should be completely removed from the front doors in order to properly replace the lower rubber strips. The interior door panels need not be removed. For whatever it's worth.

I can give complete step-by-step for doing this properly if you need it.

Hi, I could use instructions on how to take off the molding. I found 3 nuts that secure it, but it did not come loose after those were removed. Any suggestions?

After removing the three nuts the plastic side cladding will still cling to the door due to double-sided "sticky tape" used at the factory. You can carefully pull the top of the cladding away from the door with your fingers, then use a razor blade (or a window sticker scraper or "widget") to carefully separate the cladding from the door. Don't scratch the paint on the door or you'll have rusting issues later, even though the scratches will be hidden behind the plastic cladding. Keep the edge of the razor blade on the plastic cladding when separating the sticky tape. If you are truly skilled you will be able to run the blade along the tape only without touching either the door metal OR the plastic cladding. Try it!

After the sticky tape is separated you'll also have to undo the plastic securing clips that run along the bottom edge of the cladding. When these are unfastened the entire plastic piece will come off the door.

Remove the phillips screws along the bottom edge of the cladding and slide the old strip out of the groove, pulling toward the rear of the car. The screws may be rusty so be careful. Clean any dirt/gunk out of the groove with water and a small scrub brush and dry everything with paper towels. Slide the new strip into the groove and put the phillips screws back in. If the screws are rusted badly you may wish to replace them with stainless steel as I did on my GS.

Clean everything well with lint free cloths and Windex, paying special attention to the metal on the outside of the door. Do not get the sticky-tape wet! If you happened to scrape any of the paint on the doorskin touch it up with paint or primer.

Run a thin bead of clear silicone along the surface of the sticky tape on the plastic cladding. Reassemble everything and repeat for the opposite side of the car.

Don't wash the vehicle for 24 hours until the silicone has a chance to cure. Have fun!