94 Ls400 Rims On 91 Ls400

MikeyLS400

Hi,

I am thinking of replacing my 91 LS400 wheels with the 16" wheels from a 94 LS400.

Any problem I should be aware of? Like speedometer and driveability with the new 16" wheel?

Will this work without having to by new tires for the 16" wheel?

Thanks

I think the aspect ratio of the 16's are smaller than the 15's so there should not be much if any speedometer error. Going bigger doesnt hurt the clearance between the Spindle and the rim either. The 16 has a stiffer sidewall being shorter so more road feedback will be felt, but the suspension is isolated enough to nullify this. It will give better cornering due to less rim roll

I'm just in the process of ordering tires for a set of 93 16 inch wheels for my 92 LS. I checked the original diameter of the 205/65-15 tires and found that the 225/55-16 tire is only 1% larger, so that's what I will install rather than the larger 225/60-16 the later cars used.

my '90 ls400 is running '94 16" rim and the tires keep kissing the inner plastic wheel arc whenever the car bounce a bit hard

not sure if its the coilover or struts or the bigger rim, but you may need think of it

gha - what size tires are you using on those 16" rims?

hello, sorry to jack a thread, anyways ive got a set of 16 inch rims out of a 96LS 400 selling for 250 bucks plus shipping or pick up socal, thanks

There are some 94 16s with tires on craigslist for $100 in Orange County, CA. Would score them myself but my 15 tires are new.

my '90 ls400 is running '94 16" rim and the tires keep kissing the inner plastic wheel arc whenever the car bounce a bit hard

not sure if its the coilover or struts or the bigger rim, but you may need think of it

dont remember for sure but they are exactly the specs of OEM '93. will check it for you

dont remember for sure but they are exactly the specs of OEM '93. will check it for you

Sorry, I don't know much about tires so my question is can I re-use my current tires (205/65R15) on the new 16" wheels? The current tires is Michellin and has plenty of thread remaining and I hate to throw them away.

Thanks all for suggestions.

Sorry, I don't know much about tires so my question is can I re-use my current tires (205/65R15) on the new 16" wheels? The current tires is Michellin and has plenty of thread remaining and I hate to throw them away.

No. 15" tyres will not fit on 16" wheels.

-B-

No. 15" tyres will not fit on 16" wheels.

-B-

Thanks Beowulf. I guess I keep the old wheels until replacing the tires since my Mich tires are will good.

i am running on 225/60 R16, and thinking of changing to 225/55 R16 for better handling and less touch between tire and body wheel arc

I just looked at a 93' LS400, with wheels off of a 98-00 LS400. I wonder what the difference in ratio would be there? :unsure:

Both the '98 and the '93 LS400 use 16" wheels when stock. Any "ratio" difference would be attributed to different tyre sizes between the 2 vehicles. They could be using the recommended tyre size for a '93 mounted on the 16" wheels from the '98 and there would be no difference.

-B-

So far the 225/55-16's haven't touched any part of the body or suspension, and I drove it quite hard yesterday on a twisty highway....

good to hear. 225/60 R16 is 3cm bigger then 225/55 R16 in diameter. my 225/60 R16 keeps touching the body even though i have replaced the front gas struts. will go for 225/55

• 3 weeks later...
That makes sense

Hello gha_vn and everyone,

Thanks for all the replies.. these are great inputs.

Do your 225/60/16 tires keep touching the body most of the time in normal driving? or just the speed bumps? How serious are they?

I am thinking of purchasing for my 91 LS400 a set of used LS430 RIMS that came with the 225/60/16 tires that have plenty of thread in them. I really don't want to replace these tires to 225/55/16 perhaps for another year when thread are worned.

Will it be okay for using the 225/60/16 for a while or using these tires will cause harzadous when driving?

Thanks for all your help and inputs.

• 1 month later...
Just get some IS 300 wheels like mine and be done with it. 17" and no rub after two years of HARD driving.

Tell me these do not look the best compared to the grandpa wheels on the other 400's and 430's.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the inputs and suggestions..I picked up 4 wheels + 60/R16 tires from 2001 LS430 on ebay for $300. RIMS are very good/clean and tires are almost brandnew. So far so good...no rubbing over speedbumps. My 91 LS400 looks good now w/o the old 15" OEM RIMs. Will replace to 55/16 tires when needed.

:cheers: