Octane Boost...your Thoughts

aarman4

After reading some of the posts regarding regular and premium fuel, I know there will be alot of differing opinions on fuel. I also have my direct opinions on octane ratings and what they mean to the life of some vehicles, AND, I also have an understanding and knowledge of how gasolines react whent he octane rating is not of the recommended level.... SO, this to you...

I live about 45 minutes from the nearest station that serves premium. I plan on using recommended octane rating for my car. I head into the city enough to usually make a fill before I run the tank out, so that is nto the issue. The issue is I don;t want to buy my fuel 45 minutes away. Have any of you used octane boosters? I never have and I am unsure about whrether it is an idea wirth pursuing, or a completely backwards approach to fuels.

If anyone has used them and had success, hwo do you find out the "new octane rating" and what types seemed to be the most effective or least harmful to the engine?

Tough question I know, but I'd really prefer to gas up 2 minutes from home if possible.

Aarman4

After reading some of the posts regarding regular and premium fuel, I know there will be alot of differing opinions on fuel. I also have my direct opinions on octane ratings and what they mean to the life of some vehicles, AND, I also have an understanding and knowledge of how gasolines react whent he octane rating is not of the recommended level.... SO, this to you...

I live about 45 minutes from the nearest station that serves premium. I plan on using recommended octane rating for my car. I head into the city enough to usually make a fill before I run the tank out, so that is nto the issue. The issue is I don;t want to buy my fuel 45 minutes away. Have any of you used octane boosters? I never have and I am unsure about whrether it is an idea wirth pursuing, or a completely backwards approach to fuels.

If anyone has used them and had success, hwo do you find out the "new octane rating" and what types seemed to be the most effective or least harmful to the engine?

Tough question I know, but I'd really prefer to gas up 2 minutes from home if possible.

Aarman4

The vast majority of octane boosters available off the shelf offer very little actual octane boost, despite their heroic claims.

The most effective, and probably cost effective method is a "home-made" octane booster, which many simply mix toluene with a little bit of ATF (to act as lubricant).

On a high-boost street engine I'm running I just add toluene to the tank as my octane boost, with great results. Way cheaper and far more effective than the junk on the store shelves.

Do a google for "home brew octane booster" for the calculations of what kinds of octane increase to expect for given ratios.

Aarman4

The vast majority of octane boosters available off the shelf offer very little actual octane boost, despite their heroic claims.

The most effective, and probably cost effective method is a "home-made" octane booster, which many simply mix toluene with a little bit of ATF (to act as lubricant).

On a high-boost street engine I'm running I just add toluene to the tank as my octane boost, with great results. Way cheaper and far more effective than the junk on the store shelves.

Do a google for "home brew octane booster" for the calculations of what kinds of octane increase to expect for given ratios.

Thanks, i'll have a look for them, until then, I am just filling up out of town...