Total Disaster On My Gs300 Ac

:cries: My Lexus (1998 GS300) which I bought bearly 2 weeks ago had its AC compressor burnt out and I have to replace AC compressor, clutch, sensor and all scattered parts in the cooling system have to be removed. Local Toyota dealer is asking $2,600 to fix it and I even want to give up willingness to drive a lexus.

What a bad luck for me :( What is the usefullness of this car if I have to spend that much even before I start using.

:cries: My Lexus (1998 GS300) which I bought bearly 2 weeks ago had its AC compressor burnt out and I have to replace AC compressor, clutch, sensor and all scattered parts in the cooling system have to be removed. Local Toyota dealer is asking $2,600 to fix it and I even want to give up willingness to drive a lexus.

What a bad luck for me :( What is the usefullness of this car if I have to spend that much even before I start using.

hey man just be positive these are the best cars on the road before i got my 99 i had a 98 and it was perfect till it reached 130k miles then i sold it for a diff color one not that i was sick of it.

How many miles on the car? I'd have to hope it either has way high mileage, or something bad happened to it in a past life.

It has 104K miles. As soon as I noticed AC problem, I turned off both AC and fan fearing of shattered parts get into system, too late I guess.

There was no warning sign nor indicator like swinging temperature days before breakdown.

Is there was any way of knowing if it (compressor out/burnt) is coming soon or not? Is there any rough usage by previous owner contributed to it?

Sorry to hear about your issue. Most people don't realize that replacing the freon every couple of years can prevent this from happening. the Freon contains seal conditioners and a system lubricant. What you just had happen is called Black Death.

With a 104K on the car, I would consider a small mechanic shop who can maybe get some used parts and so fourth. Maybe save ya a grand or so.

After servicing thousands of cars over the last 30 plus years, I have never heard of replacing the refrigerant in a car for the purpose of preventative maintenance. I can recall just how may vehicles have come into my shop with A/C problems attributed to not changing it. Zero. I learn something new every day.

I learnt my lesson harshly by buying a used lexus trusting being fooled with "the name" Lexus and "the word" Japanese no matter how clean history is OR 1-owner vehicle. Lucky me. :angry:

After servicing thousands of cars over the last 30 plus years, I have never heard of replacing the refrigerant in a car for the purpose of preventative maintenance. I can recall just how may vehicles have come into my shop with A/C problems attributed to not changing it. Zero. I learn something new every day.

So when a car comes in you don't inspect the orifice tube/expansion valve for debris? And we allways have the compressor removed from the vehicle and the oil drained from it. You can pour refrigerant oil into the suction port and turn the compressor hub by hand which will pump clean oil through the compressor. The compressors don't compress liquids. So, we rotate the compressor hub by hand enough to ensure you don't liquid "slug" the compressor. Then we drop the freon and replace it.